1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

renting/employment verification

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, Jul 24, 2012.

1. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

hopefully someone can give me an idea of what i need to do in this situation.

i'm trying to get approved at an apartment. they say they need 6 months of employment history. my employment history is as follows:

current job july 9-present
    on unemployment march 9-july 9
    prior job february 8-march 9

before that, it's sketchy. i worked for a company from 5/09 to 8/11, then i was laid off, but my boss formed a new company and paid me directly from his bank account to mine, without taking out any taxes. he eventually paid me less and less until i decided to quit working for him and find a new job. so, from 8/11 to 1/12 i was basically paid under the table.

now this apartment says they need the W2 from the feb.8-mar.9 job in addition to proof of employment from before that. i have no proof, in fact, in december and january i was barely paid anything but didn't apply for unemployment. i never paid taxes on the money he gave me, btw.

am i screwed or can the "6 consecutive months of working history" include unemployment?

thanks

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can't you provide the 2009-2011 stuff and simply say you did 'odds and ends' for the period where you were paid in cash?

I suspect you aren't the first person to have this type of history in this environment.

3. Classic

Classic Member

Ya, wouldn't be mentioning too much about the whole situation with your boss, kinda sounds a little tax evasionish

As for your question, depends on how bad they want you. Some apts are real strict about actually needing a consecutive 6 months of employment and I know others are willing to waive it if they can justify. I would be just upfront about the situation to avoid any shadeness, show them what you have from the last 6 months and hopefully display character that will allow you to get around the issue

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

in before the tax nazis, [edit] nevermind

will they take bank statements?

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I know some folks that can doctor that up for ya. ;)

6. Classic

Classic Member

Not trying to be a nazi, just trying to help [her I think?] build a case. I'm sure finalsbound is a worthy tenant, just a victim of unfortunate employment circumstances, but in this case, I think less details given to the apt about aug to dec will be better especially since they only require 6 months

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Letter from employer might help.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, you're not screwed. You didn't work for six months in a row, but you have a job RIGHT NOW. They want to see that you're working now, don't they?

I'll ask my apartment complex managing cousin. She can hook you up.

Sit tight there and I'll ask, even though I know you hate me. :p BRB.

EDIT: eMail is away. Now... we wait... :eek:

#8 SwoLy-D, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Working right now is nice, but they also want some confidence that she won't get herself fired in the near future. Having a history of bouncing around and doing a couple months here and there isn't very reassuring for them. If providing a longer history shows a more favorable picture of employability, I'd do that. I'm not sure how picky landlords can be nowadays. Before the recession, Houston occupancy was weak and they'd overlook a lot of stuff to get people in the door. But now, the housing troubles have made a lot more people into renters, so I don't know (I've been out of that industry for quite a while now).

10. SwoLy-D

That's true. ^ I was also thinking that some places might be strict and some might be lenient.

Here is what I received back from her, asking after I posed the same question you did:
    "sounds IFY but maybe not all together impossible...find out if [finals] has any rental history...i"ll be bak."

Hmmmm... :eek: so, [finalsbound], do you have any rental history? I guess she's saying that it might help or even make it easier.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

show them the deposits that you've made to your bank the over the past year. i've had a small business for the past six years and this is what i've done to get approved.

12. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

If they ask for it, you're screwed, but only for that complex. For example, The Gables complexes will take your word on empoyment.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

yeah it's one of the stricter places i guess. i have 3 years of rental history, never late with rent, and i make nearly 4x rent, but they won't budge. getting my parents to be a guarantor (grateful but it sucks at this point in my life, i also got a long winded lecture about walking the "straight and narrow," fml)

thanks for the help/advice. even you, swoly.

14. SwoLy-D

I would say make an attempt to bring in the good stuff and documentation you have (W2's, names of companies and dates working for them, even if you skipped time), then also bring your credit report or rental history letter from the other complex. If they see you're trying, they'll forego all the nicks and scratches your work history has had. :eek: If they don't, they're MEANIES.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

take out the days.

current gig: July - current
    Previous gig: Feb - March

There's not much more you can do. If your credit is good, you won't have a problem, but if not...you may not get the apt.

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Don't get stuck on one apartment complex. It will limit your opportunities. Don't get stuck on one job, either. You lingered over your last job with a boss that was not straight up. I wouldn't even consider taking money under the table. It means the boss is cheaper than most bosses. You are likely to get screwed on health insurance, 401k, vacation pay, paid holidays, and paid sick days.

17. SwoLy-D

Won't ALL apartment complexes ask for that? :confused:

Anyway, finals, my friend chimed in again and said this:
    "Make sure she has NO criminal and things like that...

Sometimes we rely more on the rental history and if RENT is payed that means more to our owners..."

She also asked if you have a bank account... that it counts towards your good credit when they check. Also, if you don't have much money in it, deposit some money when they check your credit. :cool:

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Finalsbound,

I went through your situation, back in December. I was able to sign a new apartment, after being laid off.

I found a new job in another city, but it did not start for another 2 weeks. The leasing agent only asked for the HR job confirmation letter that showed my future salary and a letter from the previous complex indicating my lease was in good standing.

It was at a Riverstone Residential property : http://www.riverstoneres.com/ . There were other complexes that said a job offer letter could replace pay history. The class of '12 probably only provides a job offer letter also. You may want to shop around.

#18 BetterThanEver, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hm. Should have put 'backrubs and huggles' on the employment history.

20. SwoLy-D

More from my friend, finals... my cousin never answered...

"Well we will need to verify that she makes close to 3 X's the rent amount. So how ever it is she is payed, if she deposits all her $ into an account and its been pretty much the same monthy well we wdnt need anything else but a Notarized letter from her job....
    So how bout her rental? Any history?"

:cool: