1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when Peyton Manning coming to the Texans last year was a real possibility...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bmd, Sep 22, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

I wouldn't have cared about anything past 2014 if I was a team signing Peyton in 2012 is all I'm saying.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Please, let this discussion die, and just add Peyton Manning to a long list of bone headed mistakes that McNair has allowed.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Perhaps. It depends on who the Texans want to keep. Definitely would be the case if they re-signed Myers and Foster like they did.

Immaterial from a cap standpoint. The Texans could've cut him if no one wanted him. But if no one really wanted Schaub, then giving him a 5yr/$66mil extension would seem to be the most ludicrous thing in the world, right?

I mentioned him as a possibility. He could've stayed. If so, Myers would not have though. Or the Texans cut someone else. That said, Arian wasn't going anywhere anyway. He was under contract.

Explain how? Spotrac has salaries for every Texans player as well as Peyton's new contract. I don't see how you can possibly say this is the case, assuming one of the above moves was made. But if you show me why the Brown/Cushing re-signings are impossible from a cap standpoint, I will donate $20 to the tipjar. If you cannot, will you do the same? This way you can be a contributing member and help Clutch.

I'm not arguing whether or not it was the right football decision. I think that was very much arguable at that point in time. Even though I was all for signing Peyton, I did it mainly because I'm generally more of a go-for-it guy when it comes to sports.

I am only arguing against the prevailing sentiment that the Texans COULD NOT HAVE SIGNED MANNING. If you want to say you liked Schaub better in 2012, so be it. But don't tell me we couldn't have tried to make the switch.

1 person likes this.
  4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Denver played against a crappy Giants team, and against Oakland, I bet they didnt need Von Miller for winning against Oakland.

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

DaDakota stays takin' L's. SMH.

6. SpiceLaneCowboy

there were multiple reports that peyton was interested in the texans.

Instead they chose matt schaub and gave him a brand new contract.

A lot of revisionist history taking place in this thread, a lot of lies as well including the most popular lie of them all: we cant afford him.

BS.

utter bs.

Texans were never serious about peyton because if they did, they would have made roster moves to take on peyton's contract.

They were never serious because that would mean the end of matt schaub which would mean kubiak would have to admit he was wrong about schaub.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

arian signed about 2 weeks before peyton signed, if the texans were serious about peyton they would have certainly re-evaluated extending foster.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He didn't have to admit he was wrong. He would just have to say Peyton is better than Schaub, which no one would have disagreed with.

9. SpiceLaneCowboy

he would still be wrong about schaub.

i mean look at what's happening now. What is everybody complaining about?

Matt Schaub.

10. Mr. Clutch

Not necessarily. Schaub put up good numbers for two 2nd round draft picks.

They could have gotten Peyton then traded Schaub for at least one 2nd rounder.

11. SpiceLaneCowboy

but they didnt and people still hate matt schaub and want a new quarterback.

12. Mr. Clutch

Oh, I didn't realize PEOPLE wanted that!

13. SpiceLaneCowboy

well you should be more aware of your surroundings.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why Manning cleared waivers?
    All 31 teams didnt want to take him, Peyton could have ended in Jacksonville, Oakland, etc.
    so its was a gamble giving big money for someone over 35 years old that got major surgery.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The comment was about the attitude of "i dont understand how fans don't ___ "

Not so much the conclusions themselves

Meh is right about his figures. But its not hard to see why people dont have a grasp on nfl cap compared to nba.

Cardpire was right in his assessment of needing to chase Manning harder. But then pretending as though manning didnt have 4 neck surgeried in 2 years and didnt miss an entire season and have a dead arm lacking nerves to where there shouldnt be caution

He basically gambled. He said "Manning is better than Schaub" without the context. And if anyone didnt agree he had a "you're a SCHAUB LOVER" smear label. Its the tone, not the conclusion.

(Yeah when healthy Manning is better than Schaub. Yeah Texans shoulda done more due diligence seeking Manning. Schaub was in a walking boot at the time himself. Though its cjeap you coulda used that to degrade his status )

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

you could put a 2-14 team around Peyton and he would take them to the playoffs. greatest regular season player ever.

17. Remix

Remix Member

Peyton and Kubiak would never work together.

Kubiak: Ok Peyton we're only up two scores here with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd. I'm gonna do nothing but try to run the clock down by handing it off to the RB's

Peyton: Ok coach I'll play it your way, but if i see something I will audible to.....

Kubiak: Audible? In my offense? That word does not exist in my playbook. You play what I Call.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

And Holiday just went 105 yds. Yikes.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

He cleared waivers because he had a roster bonus of $28mil. I don't know what his base salary for the next year was, but any team that picked him up would've needed likely $30+mil in capspace just to claim him. Or roughly 25% of the salary cap.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Mike Florio on post-game on NBC talking about Peyton as "QB they weren't interested in, but who was interested in them".

Eh, he's probably just referring to clutchfans rumors.