1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when everyone laughed at the Texans for not taking Fairley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by utgrad97, Jan 7, 2012.

1. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

**** 'em!

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The announcers mentioned it during that game. They said that Watt may not have been a sexy pick at the time, but he has had a huge impact on this defense. What a game the man had.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

No, I don’t.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Texans have been insanely good in the 1st round. 4 pro-bowl caliber players and 2 busts which I'll take any day. It's really their mid-round picks that have left a lot to be desired. Especially after season 1(Ryans, Winston, Daniels).

5. biggiebody

biggiebody Member

They had some pretty decent mid rounders after the 2006 draft. (Ex. Quinn, Reed, Barwin, Tate, McCain, Yates). Especially on defense, it's just that we have a coach that can actually teach them now. They're also not bad with undrafted picks either (Ex. Foster, Brisiel).

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No one 'laughed' - but plenty of us were initially upset/confused - not because anyone thought Watt was bad....but because to that point, Wade had been saying Mario and Smith were going to be ends....leading us to think they took Watt as a back up while Fairley was there to start at nose.

It was post draft that Wade announced Mario was going to OLB. And credit where it's due - I never saw Cody being so effective at nose.

I was happily rocking my Watt jersey at the game yesterday and any of us that did were very popular by halftime.

7. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Not true, Wade was always on record saying that Williams would have a go at OLB.

IMO, the Watt pic was a head scratcher because he was more of an unknown to the common casual college football fan. Including my self.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

I remember Pancakes saying that we wanted Aldon Smith real bad, but the 49ers had other plans. Hmm, that would have been a good pick too, but that leaves me to wonder who we would have gotten with that 2nd round pick. Watt and Reed have been more than solid. Smith and ?

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Great point. I don't think A. Smith + someone else > Watt + Reed
    In hindsight we got so many things just right that weren't sexy fan 1st choices (i.e. J.Joseph instead of Nnamdi)

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not until May, he didn't.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...Texans-have-talent-needed-for-his-1683910.php
    January - Williams being discussed as an end.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-hire-Phillips-as-defensive-coordinator-1690605.php
    Note: Bruce Smith didn't play OLB

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/14/they-said-it-week-of-march-14
    In May, post draft, this became news:
    http://houston.sbnation.com/2011/5/5/2154771/houston-texans-de-mario-williams-to-switch-positions

#10 emjohn, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, and Eric Winston have left a lot to be a desired?? Because I'm just not sure how to respond to that other than to roll my eyes. Ryans is the CAPTAIN of this defense, and the heart and soul of the players. Owen Daniels....well, he just might be amongst the top 5 most consistent TEs in the league. When you need a big catch, he almost ALWAYS comes through. And Eric Winston is the face of this offensive line, and has held down the right side of the line for the last 5 years. Those are 3 of the players that make this team so special....

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Now that I'm re-reading your post, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. AFTER those 3 picks, our middle rounds have left a lot to be desired. Apologies for the previous post, my man. We are on the same page. :)

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I admit wanting one of Quinn, Fairley, or Amukamara and was initially upset with the Watt pick.

I was wrong.

1 person likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It appears he is saying that outside of Ryans, Daniels and Winston, their mid round picks have left a lot to be desired.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Winston's play this year has been a bit subpar.

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

Duane Brown is the best player on that o-line, followed by Wade Smith. Of all the sacks this season i would like to see how many came from the blindside, im almost certain that Brown didnt give up a single sack all season.. Winston is good, as is Briesel, but they have given up the majority if not all of the sacks on the season and quite a few penalties have been called on these two.. Ive been quite critical of Briesel, but i saw how much he was missed when Caldwell took over after Briesel was injured..

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I heard he gave up 2 sacks this season.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's the ClutchFans live thread for the NFL Draft ... somehow a mock draft thread became the official conversation thread during the Draft.

<a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=199764">http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=199764</a>

Certainly Watt was a good pick, but I think most would have felt the team needed some help in the secondary... and as far as Nick Fairley, there was talk he was good enough to be the #1 pick.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, wrong on Watt, wrong on Wade, lots of wrong with me. :p :eek:

#19 J.R., Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That thread is hilarious.

Also,
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P0gsgyY_QW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> :eek:

No wonder he can tip passes like a boss.