1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@basketballholic
    Question Holic?

What do you feel is the reason behind signing Deyonta Davis (Center) recently (non guaranteed contract of $1.645M)?

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I’m so excited for these new primary stars to become spot up shooters!

3. basketballholic

Already discussed. We can aggregate that salary in July.

Capela (14.8) + Deyonte (1.6) + Chiozza (1.4) + Frazier (1.4) = 19.2

19.2 + 5 million =24.2

24.2 × 4.3 = 104.6

Do you think Horford would take 105 million over next 4 years? Do we want to play him that much?

I dunno. I asked Marks to estimate his market value. He didn't answer directly. But started tweeting about 3/60. So I dunno.

But I think Ainge would do a sign and trade rather than Horford walk.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm going to post a picture of two primary stars.

[​IMG]

stevel likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you for showing your work. I’m just a flunkie, can you label or tell me what the $5M represents.
    I’m drawing a blank on that at the moment.

Good question on Horford. His pts avg for season was so-so......but if broken down one can see Dec thru April was
    about 22 pts per game. His blocks per game were the opposite, better in the beginning of the year than later.
    Rebounds were steady throughout the season (less than Capela). But like Ryan Anderson, Horford plays
    away from the rim at the 3-point line to draw the defender to him; meaning less rebounding opportunities.

Both you and I have pushed for 5-out and Horford would supply that. We could add passes to players with momentum moving towards the rim.....not just kick out and skip the ball along the perimeter. Much like the Raptors played with Gasol.

P.S. I don’t read every post of every thread. Just FYI.

#65 ApacheWarrior, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    sammy likes this.
  6. basketballholic

5 million is trade rules for teams not in the tax.

Here's Horford defending Embiid

Yes 5 out play. Horford is sooo freakn perfect. Super smart. Shoots the 3. Can roll to the rim and finish. Great defender. He's purrrrrfect for us. Hopefully we get this guy and can keep Harty for him to mentor.

Im telling you....a healthy and rested

Harden, Paul, Butler, PJ, Horford, Harty, House, MLE, etc. etc. WILL WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.

If we get that group and they stay healthy. . we're having a parade in a year.

Im so stoked.

Did i tell you Horford is purrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for us? Don't want to leave that out.

Make sure you got it. Two guys. Two new starters. Defenders and shooters all over the place. 5-out read and react pick and pop into pick and roll. Then defend their butts off on the other end.

I'm stoked. It's time. It is our time.

Bring home the wagon Morey. Bring it home.

#66 basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Chamillionaire likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Horford working Giannis

Chamillionaire likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes Horford picked up his numbers in the playoffs; but I would probably push for the 3 year deal.

Ok, you have sold me on what the Rockets intentions are as far as targeting Horford and Butler to join Harden/CP3/Tucker core. Never thought 76ers would go for SnT on Butler; but they are probably losing
    JJ Redick and Eric Gordon would help spread the floor for Simmons/Embiid. Probably heavy on
    the sweeteners going 76ers way.

Thanks for taking the time Holic.

basketballholic likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The chances of acquiring Butler is very remote, but there is no other way. Gordon, Clark, Hart and 2 unprotected first rounders is the best that we can offer to Philly. LAL's next move might be Kemba, but it might be Jimmy just like you pointed out. My gut feeling is that he will re-sign with Philly if he is offered the max. Have a great day, my friend.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. saleem

@ApacheWarrior

I won't be entirely surprised if Morey offers EG and Tuck plus two first rounders to Philly for Butler. Daryl wants to retain PJ, but he is desperate to make a big move. I don't think Jimmy will agree to come to Houston without PJ's toughness and his huge impact on team chemistry. Horford for Capela helps Houston but it doesn't help Boston all that much. Angie will definitely ask for a unprotected first rounder along with Clint in my opinion.

I think Horford will opt in for 30M at the end of the day.

Daryl will be left with the 5.7 M MLE as expected.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I too think it's slim chances.

But something tells me Butler is letting some people know he wants Houston....Houston in turn heard this and makes accommodations.....Butler group let's Philly franchise understand his feelings.

Jimmy has to decide whether to opt in or out by something like June 29th or 30th.
    So Philly gets told during the negotiation time period prior to FA/July 1st.

Things will be set under the table at that end. If Philly hints no SnT....he probably opts out (if he doesn't want to play for Philly). He can threaten to go to Clippers and Philly get nothing.

The way Morey is acting makes me believe
    Things are being set up behind the scenes.
    Horford wants Houston and vice-versa
    Butler talks constantly to Harden
    Morey says we are going after 2 stars
    Rockets will be the favorites

Only thing I worry about is, Morey thought they had a deal at trading deadline time and then the Heat backed out. If Boston is saying they have a deal and Philly sets up something for Jimmy.....be careful of a team backing out.

Don't get too cocky. Say little, do much.

P.S. my gut feeling has JJ Redick wanting to join Butler wherever he goes. This may be known by Houston management....making Eric Gordon expendable.

12. saleem

What you are saying makes sense and is interesting. Will Jimmy agree to a small paycut for a better chance at a ring? I believe that he will agree to this. He will look at all his options including Houston and Philly.

An OKC type move could easily spoil Houston's chances with Butler.

The 76'ers are not that far behind the Bucks or the Raptors. He clearly likes Embiid but the risk of further injuries to Joel and the lack of a jumper with Ben Simmons, might result in a move.

JJ could follow Jimmy. He is not as good as EG, but he can fit in since he
    will get open shots here.

Eric's trade value is pretty good, and it would have been more if he hadn't lost his explosiveness at the rim this outgoing season. I admit Philly could use him.

I expect we will know very soon what Al Horford wants. If he wants to play with Harden, Morey will have to overpay for him. Angie will probably agree to acquire Capela plus a 1st rounder for him.

Let's hope for the best.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes anything is possible. I believe Jimmy is done with Philly when he tweeted, "Thank you Philadelphia and fans." (Not exact quote)

Many believe the gig is up in Philly. The team has flaws. I believe JJ Redick wants out. If Jimmy bolts, Tobias Harris can be re-signed. Philly would still like the consolation prizes of Eric Gordon, Tobias Harris and Rockets 1st Rd picks.

Just have to filter out a lot of the media static about chaos and disorder rumors.

14. basketballholic

Might be EGo Haywood and a couple picks instead of Tobias....

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

You think we get any movement from the Rockets on or before the draft?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

ESPN provides monthly stats.

At no point was Horford close to 22 ppg.

Now if you exclude his inactive games, his best 5 game average ppg was 20. But 5 games is hardly a sample size. His best 10 game average was 17 points, his best 15 game average was 16 points and his best 20 game average was 16.25 ppg.

But of course his overage over all his games was 13.6 ppg, so he had some stinker games in there as well, and stinker stretches. He had one 5 game stretch at 7.6 ppg. He had at 11.4 ppg over 20 games.

Not sure what this is saying. I think the value of Al Horford is in the intangibles as much as the intangibles, and the fact that he's capable of hitting a shot while not being useless as a big otherwise.

But I also think there's too much "excitement" about him, given (1) you have to give to get, and (2) he apparently will have some pretty solid offers out there so he'd be another older dude being paid too much...

#76 JayZ750, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Morey tell you this plan?

18. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Does your gut tell you we get Butler or no?

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I stand corrected. Usually I use basketball-reference.com but this time I used a site I normally trust for quick reference. In the future I will stick with B-Reference.com

You can see that they have points and eff switched (when looking at monthly numbers of 18/19).
    https://en.hispanosnba.com/players/al-horford

Thanks for pointing it out J

JayZ750 likes this.
  20. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Because MDA will only play 7-8 deep, so having that many playoff-worthy players is not a luxury, it's a necessity they will all see heavy minutes under MDA.