1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember the time when TJones was a trade nobrainer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mockster

mockster Member

He was and still is a trade no brainer if it came to picking up a high quality PG and it's not because he sucks because he's a great player but we're sound in PF position but regardless he managed to give the team a good boost.

2. malakas

malakas Member

The better he plays the more tradeable he gets. But I expect this as well. A draft day trade.
    A decision has to be made between DMO and Jones next summer.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would argue that Jones has a much higher ceiling than DMo.

The main issue with Jones was his defence, but this season he has been huge defensively (per NBA advanced stats). If he maintains that defensive momentum, he could be anything.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I'm a little surprised anyone would take the stance that Jones had the higher ceiling but I guess you can find someone to take any stance if the sample is large enough.

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Clyde thinks he's a darkhorse candidate.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Shockingly you are down on him. But that's a small sample size of 'Bobbythegreat argues for DMO over Jones all day everyday'.

Hmmmmm....

I won't be in the slightest bit surprised if Jones is starting next to Howard by seasons end. I'll be happy if it is DMo, because it means he picked up his defensive game again - I don't have any preference for either guy. Just want the team to do well - would love it if they both became all-stars!

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I won't be surprised if that happens either, but it won't be because Jones is the best PF on the roster it'll be because we don't have a legit backup center and none of our PF's can play the 5 other than DMo. Hopefully we'll fix that problem in the offseason so that we don't stunt the development of our best PF by making him change his position to one where he has a much lower ceiling.

I could easily see Jones starting by default.....and hopefully he does a good enough job to where teams won't laugh at us when we offer him in trade packages this off-season like they did at the trade deadline.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that and your pf can't pick up his first rebound of the game til the after the 3rd quarter starts

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I hope so, but I do not think so. Jones is a very bad defender, the lack of the effort on the defensive end is quite obvious.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While playing out of position against Pek....sure. Shocking that you'd ignore context like that.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bobbythegreat and Labmouse are going to ignore this man's post.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter. it's terrible

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dmo is big and tall enough to play Center as well. Dude is 7' and 255 lbs. Lol

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Which team/s laughed?

They might be the same ones kicking themselves after yesterday. In his (admittedly few) starts this season, Jones has shown a step forward from last season - and let's not pretend last season wasn't impressive for a young starter!

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is it?

Have you watched him play THIS SEASON?
    He rates as our best defensive big man per the metrics we were all drooling over for DMo a few months back.
    The eye test shows that THIS SEASON the effort on the defensive end is quite obvious (his opponents shoot mid 30s so far against him - puts him head, neck, and shoulders above our other bigs).

The fairytales people live on are absurd... I suppose the next post will be lamenting the fact Jones is only 6'8 :rolleyes:

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, in that it's not really relevant to the conversation and doesn't actually show what it is intended to show.

Put Jones at the 5 against Pek and see how he does on the boards, hell he allowed a kid that went into the game with 33 total minutes in the NBA to put up a double double against him and more than double his total number of both points and rebounds so I imagine he'd do great.

That doesn't make him a center any more than it made Barkley a Small forward or Shooting Guard simply because he was only 6'6

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Any team we offered Jones to, that's why he's still here. No one wanted him so we have to try to rehabilitate his image so that we can get something for him in the offseason.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Who did we offer him to that laughed???

19. malakas

malakas Member

I seriously doubt any team is kicking themselves or regretting not trading for a player after a SINGLE game. If they thought they didn't want him before they think the same right now.
    It's only fans with the memory of a goldfish who change opinions every other night.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well given that we still have him yet we offered him in trade packages to anyone that was listening, probably quite a few teams. Although, the Sixers did just claim another version of Terrence Jones off of waivers today, so certainly there are some teams that could use him.