1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember the time when TJones was a trade nobrainer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Lets just say we lose a game in that scenario. Prediction: half the bbs goes mental with 'trade xx', 'xx sux', and 'fire mchale' threads...

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Terrence Jones made his 5th start of season tonight. Has his 3rd dbl-dbl, 11pts, 14 rebs. 2:39 left, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> up 99-96</p>&mdash; Adam Wexler (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/status/570061561315729408">February 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

against a rookie in his first start on a team with the worst record in the western conference. what does this all mean?.. future franchise player.

4. rocketsmetalspd

I will eat crow and I am glad TJones is still here. Big game coming up against the Clippers. The team should be focused for this game since the Clippers have had their way with the Rockets.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

TJones is a good young player, won't be an all star but can be a very good role player in this league. He's had great performances in 3 of his 5 starts this season and has improved his defense. He's getting back to where he was pre-injury which is a great sign.

No, he will not stop LMA, Griffin or other elite PF's, nor should he be expected to. Only good, solid, overall team defense can slow those guys down.

He is however getting better and make no mistake, will put some pressure on DMo to reclaim that starting PF spot if Dwight gets back.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He won't stop Lamarcus, but McHale should have.

7. bongman

bongman Member

Imagine him improving and once Dmo plays out of this mini slump? Then you have Josh coming in to replace on of them. Hopefully everybody hits full stride just before the playoffs.

8. TheresTheDagger

I have to admit to being baffled by the chorus here of people wanting to get rid of Terrence.

True enough, he had a tough playoff series vs. Lamarcus Aldridge and he was hurt for much of this season. However, he also had a fantastic sophomore season taking big leaps last year in his game on both ends of the floor. I was EXTREMELY interested in where he would take his game this year. Unfortunately, injuries got in the way. But it seems to me that the injury scare was just that...a scare. Now, time to make up for lost time! He along with Brewer, Smith, Ariza, Papanikolao, and Mcdaniels gives us incredible depth, athleticism and defensive presence between the 2-4 position.

This along with Harden is the true strength of this team.

If we can get them some consistent playing time together, establish a rhythm with the 2nd team rotation that knows how to play passably well offensively then we might be able to mask our need for a 2nd play maker. We simply have these guys go balls out on the defensive end when Harden is resting and score off transition opportunities from clamping down on the defensive end.

9. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Hasn't this been debunked already? I saw him belittle Tim Duncan in person. Hes inconsistent, and most players have a harder time playing basketball against people that play basketball better than them, but he's come out on top of some tough match ups in the past

10. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

i still wouldnt have minded trading TJones for a big player like Dragic (specially if he would have been down to resign, a bit more iffy if not)

but i would not have traded him for anything less. it wasn't really a wanting to get rid of him as much as i didn't see him as necessary with us having D-Mo and JSmoove, and thus that made him our biggest tradeable asset

11. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

IF we lose...definitely.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

not enough minutes for all three at pf and you don't want any of them at c

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. He's had good games against top competition, but there is always an excuse to dismiss it and the detractors have selective amnesia. He also was said to only be able to get buckets because of the attention Howard gets, but goes out and explodes for over 30 playing next to Asik and that is ignored. He is also constantly blamed for every point LMA scored in games 1 and 2 despite video evidence that LMA scored the majority of his points on other players and that TJ didn't even guard him in game 2 with those points coming primarily against Howard and Asik. The way LMA was so easily able to overpower TJ when they were matched up left an indelible mark with some people, much the same way the Harden defense video did nationally.

14. Grixo

Grixo Member

Sure there have been some good games by him against elite competition, but the fact remains that, in general, TJones absolutely feasts on weaker teams and players, does flashy behind the back dribbles and spin moves, and generally looks like the most promising young pf prospect since AD, but against actually quality opponents he suddenly disappears and looks god-awful. It's happened too many times to ignore, this Terrence Jones dichotomy. It's like, he has the talent and tools to do special things at the PF position, but when faced with elite opponents he doesn't have the confidence or ability to show any of it.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

I would say that is a very popular sentiment, but not entirely true. He has had up and down games against both good and not so good teams, but the only good Western Conference team that he completely disappeared against each time was the Clippers. Look at the boxscores.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6597/year/2014/terrence-jones

16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

players his age are often inconsistent, and rarely have his potential and skillset

17. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

no question he is beast mode in practice else he wouldn't be back in the starting lineup so quickly ...

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I was open to trading him before the deadline, but now that he's here to stay I'm happy to have him out there. Especially, if he keeps dropping double-doubles.

If he continues to produce, he can be our unofficial trade deadline acquisition that everybody was clamoring for.

19. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Holy knee jerk Batman!!! T Jones is the answer to all are problems!!

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's sure better than Joey Dorsey.