1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remaining Holes for Contenders (ESPN Insider)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AusEaglez, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

Hey everyone saw an insider article which is interesting as it pertains to holes left in contending teams for the championship this year.

I think it's very interesting, showing that we only need a constant ball handler, but i feel that the turnover situation last season was mostly due to the amount of dropped balls by Asik, and also the speed at which we played. I feel that maybe our PG situation is very decent and with Dwight's great hands I feel we won't have as many turnovers as last season.

Let me know what you all feel?

2 people like this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They're completely ignoring the most obvious point of need; a solid starter at the 4. I believe Terence Jones is going to be outstanding this year -- but the writer didn't even mention it.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, this is a pretty r****ded snippet. The Rockets need a ball handler??? No, they already had too many last season and nothing has changed. If they need anything at point guard that might be better 3P shooting and defense, but they problem could easily solve itself with Jeremy improving or PBev taking over as the starter (if Jeremy does not get better).

The biggest REAL hole is at the 4, obviously. We have no idea what we're gonna get out of the young guys, and it might be "not much at all".

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

A ball handler isn't even in our top 5 of biggest needs.

5. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I would love to try and bring in two guys that were mentioned for the vet minimum or room exception if possible, Byron Mullens or even better, Greg Oden. Both are better fits for this team for me than Marcus camby. But I do think a guard that can handle the ball would also be good.

6. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I agree I feel the system and Asiks hands were a major role last season. I would love for us to get a quality scorer off the bench. Like i would love to bring in Rip Hamilton for a vet minimum for 1 year. If he is healthy he could potentially give us some nice scoring off the bench.

7. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

The author just described Patrick Beverley

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

who the hell wrote this!?!?

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I'm glad I didn't pay to read that article lol...

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does a ball handler fill a hole?

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

what kind of hole?

12. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I think what they are talking about is what teams can do now. Don't think major trades gonna happen, though occasionally those trades do happening in the beginning of the season like Harden's case.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think the Rockets' problem is that they don't have enough guys who can handle the ball. Their T/O rate is high because of the team's strategy is to have guys attack the paint. Getting yourself into a crowd typically causes T/O rates to rise, but this is outweighed by the benefits of getting higher % shots, more FT attempts and more open 3s.

OKC has a similarly high T/O rate and it's not because they don't have guys who can handle the ball.

And I think the Rockets will continue to be a high T/O team next year: Dwight Howard won't help with it because he is also a high T/O guy.

14. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

I was not aware 1.1 TO per 17.4 mins is now considered turnover-prone.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. Beverley does not turn the ball over all that much. Bev does foul a lot , but ball handling is not a problem for Bev.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe not the biggest need but I feel like the writer does hit a sore spot. The Rockets usually had a few sloppy passes per game last year. Any team can say it but they need to take better care of the ball.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Need a legit four who can make the outside shot. After that, everything else is gravy.

Though a junk yard dog would be nice.
    And another swing man.

And if one of those two players had playoff experience, that would be swell.

;)

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think our biggest need is time. As in, three months need to just pass by, right now, so I can watch my Rockets kick ass in the regular season.

After Dwight Howard came, I was like, "Oh man, here comes the hype." But now with the backlash, we've actually become UNDERRATED in the national media. How did that happen?

I don't care. Man, we're going to pound everybody into submission this year. I'm standing by my prediction of #2 in the West behind OKC.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

His premise is a bit off, but his conclusion makes some sense.

Daniel Gibson would be a great fit as a bench guard for this squad.

My thoughts are that we need a dead-eye marksman and a legit starting 4. I'm reasonably confident we're able to either trade Asik for that 4, OR that one of Jones/Motie will step up to the plate.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Our biggest need as of now is a starting 4, we have 3 prospects that could grow into that roll but nobody to rely on if they dont pan out.

I keep seeing people say another back court/wing player, we already have a jamned pact backcourt though, hell IMO just as jamned pact as our 5 spot. Wich leads again to the 4 being the only weak spotbon our team.