1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RELIGION] of peace strikes in Tunisia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 18, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A friend of mine is on a cruise that was in port in Tunisia. According to my friend, 9 people from that cruise ship were among those killed. Fortunately, for him, he chose to do a different off-ship tour that day.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's terrible. Glad that at least your friend was not among the victims. But that just goes to show that what seems far enough away that one thinks one doesn't need to care...really isn't.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Agreed.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Terrorist are terrorist and that's what they use to be referred to as.

A scapegoat for what... Arabs told them from day one that they wouldn't be able to live there in peace. What does that have to do with being used as a scapegoat...?

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

For their own ignorance, intolerance and failures (talking about the neighbor states).

I don't know. Why don't you explain yourself.

6. Remii

Remii Member

I should have expected a bias answer. Thought maybe you had some concrete evidence to point to.

You would have to ask the Arabs to explain themselves since one of their leaders said it. I'm surprised you didn't know about that. But if you know and you're just ignoring it... I'm not surprised.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

ATW - ok they're Muslims. You can call a POS a rose but it doesn't make it anything but a POS. ISIS kills Muslims all the time, which to me is clear evidence that they aren't a part of the religion.

Interesting that you have found people that agreed with what happened to this Taseer fella. I had to wiki him. That's pretty sad and perhaps there are people that agree with what happened to him.. I'm glad I don't know people like that.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffee...s-calling-them-monsters-lets-us-off-the-hook/

Like it or not, Isis are Muslims. Calling them ‘monsters’ lets us off the hook

It was a taxi driver from Pakistan in Palo Alto.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

Why don't you just not respond to him.

He's just upset that he'll never be a real German and keeps lashing out about it.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I believe what entails 'true' Islam is what the actual physical human, Muhammad, intended. As he is the creator of the religion, it's his philosophy every Muslim attempts to mimic. Did Muhammad intend to have corporal punishment for those who made fun of him aka 'blasphemy'? Yes. So in that case ISIS is following the intentions of their prophet.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

99% of the time, I don't. Most of the time, it's best to just sit back and watch. Every once in a while, you have to make yourself heard. Then, you go back and stay on the sidelines most of the time. I've been on 2 years less than him, yet I have 6,000 posts as opposed to, what, his 35,000? I much rather read than comment.

He's within his rights to post as much as he likes about whatever topic he wishes, and for some, I am glad he mentioned them b/c I would have missed them.

What bothers me a bit about him is that, if you look at his posts, he's a bit hypocritical. As in, he calls me out for insulting others when he has this long, long history of doing so for those who disagree with him. Plus, he's fond of posting continuously about terrorist acts committed in the name of Islam, yet never proposing what to do about it. What's the point?

I would suppose what he would really like to do is wipe Islam off the face of the earth. Ok, well, that's not going to happen, so what else? As I mentioned earlier, we have someone in our extended family who posts every single day on Facebook something about terrorist acts. Guess what happens after the 20th, 25th, etc. post? People get sick of it. It doesn't make their lives any better seeing this day after day- we all know it exists, and no one is going to forget 9-11 anytime soon.

So,there's no point really in discussing anything with him b/c he has an agenda. When someone has that distinct of an agenda, there is no discussion. It is only "I believe this and I am not interested in discussing it with anyone, only to try to convince people to adopt my point of view." I have very little interest in engaging someone such as that. But, I'll enjoy his take on things as I would anyone, even BigTexxx. :grin:

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is a logical fallacy. I am not at all fond of posting about terrorist acts committed in the name of Islam - I would be much happier if they didn't happen. Yet, they keep happening.

You should not be angry at me for posting them - you should be angry that they keep happening.

And to your "what's the point?" - what do you propose to do about it? Maybe the point is to put them up for discussion so that intelligent people like you can come up with suggestions what to do about it?

Nope. I would welcome it if Islam could reform itself to rid itself of intolerant and disgusting elements such as threatening people with death for blasphemy and apostasy...and so on.

I don't do it on Facebook (as some here can confirm ;)). But just like on Facebook, it's simple to ignore it if you don't want to see it. But again - what you should be sick of is not the messenger - you should be sick of the perpetrators and the poisonous ideology that motivates their actions.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

"Nope. I would welcome it if Islam could reform itself to rid itself of intolerant and disgusting elements such as threatening people with death for blasphemy and apostasy...and so on"

Religion of over 1b and you dont think they do have parts that do?
    And lol at the part where you make it sound that you post all this news to try and 'come up' with a solution.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What's your suggestion for a solution?

Oh, never mind...I forgot I am probably communicating with an 11-year old brainwashed kid here.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But do you feel like you are getting any intelligent responses from this thread, or the last 20 threads you posted of similar nature. Or do you think these threads are getting almost exact responses from almost the exact posters saying the exact same things each time, with you responding to them the exact same way.

I feel like nothing more can really be said things from both sides about terrorists acts like this on the D&D unless it's something really out of the ordinary. I mean what is the intelligent discussion you are looking for here, all I've read in this thread, and maybe the last 10 threads like this just boils all down to you disagreeing with a same posters and those posters disagreeing with you, and both sides regurgitate the same views without ever changing eachother's mind the slightest, and then it all end with redundant personal attacks on the posters.

It will be like someone starting a "McHale is a bad coach" thread every couple of days in the GARM with a botched play or timeout and expect intelligent discussions.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fair point, apollo33. That said, many things in life are repetitive...

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Some day I hope I can buy a bottle of tequila on Sunday in Texas...like I could in Egypt.

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Anybody disagreeing with around the sewer is a kid i guess. Gets so defensive lol comedic.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Tunisia's government, since the ouster of Ben Ali in 2011 is actually a democracy with 100 registered political policies and 20% of its legislative body is female.

That's...why...there's...terrorism...there.

20. Nook

Nook Member

That is the elephant in the room.