1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Relationship Question - Splitting The Rent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cokebabies, Jul 24, 2012.

Tags:
?

Is it normal for the BF to pay 100% of the rent if he and his GF move in together?

1. YES - BF should pay for 100% of the rent

10.6%
  2. NO - GF should help pay for at least some of the rent

89.4%
  1. flipmode

flipmode Member

i'm the reverse. she bought a house, i moved in 2 years later. she benefits by having extra hands to do manly work, repairs, move heavy stuff, kill bugs, landscaping, etc... and i also pay her rent and cover most restaurants. she pays for house improvements and property taxes. i make significantly more, but it feels like we split 50-50 in the end.

you should charge her a nominal rent fee, since you're basically losing the ability to rent the other half out to another person for added income. if not that, she should pay utilities, groceries, furniture, or restaurants. if a girl wants you to take care of her every living expense, prior to marrying you or being in a long-term relationship (multiple years), that is a girl who you probably may not want to be involved with. don't let yourself get used, but don't tell her outright she's using you. find a way to "ask for her help" in covering living expenses, and be firm and consistent.

2. ThisIsAlanR

ThisIsAlanR Member

With a girlfriend you go 50/50, with a wife you pay the whole thing.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How good is the sex?

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Disagree. With a wife it should be split somehow, some way if she is working. If she is not then you shoulda married a working woman.

One of my friends has a wife who strictly told him "my money is my money is not going for bills". this is a guy who works 12 hours a day and doesnt make a whole lot as it is. I dont condone hitting women but if there ever was a good time for one to deserve a slap in the face, that was the time.

btw they are married with two kids. also, they are now seperated.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No gentleman should be asking this question. :eek:

Stay thirsty, my friends.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

if you want to resent her, pay 100%. otherwise, it should be split.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hell hath no fury like an entitled b****.

8. Burko

Burko Member

Women have wanted equality for years, don't deny them the right that the suffragettes earned.

50/50

9. Classic

Classic Member

If she isn't going to pay the actual rent, she better be paying for groceries and utilities. There needs to be some kind of offset. Women demanded equal rights. Better give it to them in the form of bills. I think that is a bad step in a relationship if you're not both working and providing for each other-this is assuming you're a young couple.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

My wife and I are both working and making near-equal money. We split the rent 50/50.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wouldn't know. My parents pay for it.

12. Jamers

Jamers Member

just buy a house

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Currently in the process of closing on a house. Based on our calculations my fiance will be paying about 35% of mortgage/bills. Unless your girlfriend/wife doesn't have any income it's selfish of them not to offer to pay something.

I didn't ask her to help pay she just offered and I'm glad she did. Too many women take advantage of their men (I have a few buddies that are just cash registers for their lazy women).

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The man should pay the rent, so he can easily get rid of her when he's tired of her presence.

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I legally got in trouble with the law regarding this subject, luckily I came out of it with only a slap in the hand (took marital classes) considering how the law works.
    I learned is that we don't live in the "stone or bible ages anymore" being generous paying for almost everything can sooner or later drive a man crazy, which can lead to argument and fights, if you let it get to that point you lost!
    The law sides with women almost all the time because they are "weaker", long story short I ended up taking classes and one of the things that I was tought is that couples should split the expenses in HALF, a man pulling all the weight is a thing of the past...think about it, the law doesn't care about macho mans if you ever divorce your wife in the future it will be 50/50 plus child support if you have any kids, so think about it make her pull some of her weigh too it's fair and good for the relationship, communication at all times is key, you have to put it in a way as if your building your dreams together.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what THE FEMINIST said! :grin:

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I voted split, but I really just wanted to post this scene.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R7ZHLppS5_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Nook

Nook Member

No, I believe that you should pay the entire rent because you are the man.

There are benefits to paying the entire rent as well, your name is on the lease so if you break up she leaves.

Further, it is your job as a male to provide.

If you are paying the bills it is far easier to expect her to cook and clean, etc, based on the fact you are doing what you are supposed to.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

BINGO BANGO

and that ladies is why you ALWAYS pay for your own ****.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It is simple.....

If you are not going to pay for the rent, pay any of the bills, or financially provide, then you are going to be expected cook and clean the house or do something .....

My wife has a medical degree, and has choosen not to work outside the home (which I have no issues with). However, she cooks and cleans and handles errands.... In exchange I pay all the bills and ensure our financial well being, fix things around the house, take care of the yard and ensure that out retirement is in order.

It is up to each couple.... but I personally cannot stand men that complain about the burden of financially supporting their wife/girlfriend.... that is part of being a man.