1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Sanders in KC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Another Brother, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269678
    The Kansas City Royals actually outbid teams to sign Reggie Sanders, the outfielder told The Kansas City Star.
    Sanders

He told the paper Thursday that he had agreed to a two-year contract worth about $10 million, that could be signed Friday pending results of a physical.

"The Royals stepped up to the plate and did what they had to do," Sanders said. "Other teams were close. But the Royals went a little further."

The 38-year-old Sanders could provide much-needed offense to go along with what appears to be an improved Kansas City defense. He hit .271 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI in 295 at-bats last season for St. Louis, missing nearly two months after breaking his right leg in an outfield collision with Jim Edmonds.

Sanders had 10 RBI in the Cardinals' three-game sweep of San Diego in the first round of the playoffs, hitting a grand slam and driving in six runs in the opener.

"They had a game plan," Sanders told the Star. "Kansas City wined and dined me at the beginning. We sat down for a good three hours talking about where they're going and what they're trying to do. I needed to be the last piece of the puzzle. If I sign early, I'm left out to dry, no matter how much money I'm making. Now I see they got [Mark Grudzielanek], they got all these guys."

Kansas City lacked production from its corner outfielders last season, when the Royals finished a major league-worst 56-106.

"I think he would be a pretty good addition to our club," Royals GM Allard Baird said Thursday. "But until everything is set, I just don't want to speculate."

Sanders broke in with Cincinnati in 1991 and since 1998 has played for Cincinnati, San Diego, Atlanta, Arizona, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and the Cardinals. A career .267 hitter with 292 home runs and 923 RBI, he is projected as a right fielder by the Royals.

It has already been a busy offseason for Baird, who has signed free agent infielders Grudzielanek and Doug Mientkiewicz, pitcher Scott Elarton and backup catcher Paul Bako.

----------------------

I hate he isn't an Astro but I'm glad he's out of the National League now...what an Astro's killer.

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

looks like a real busy offseason for McLane :)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What kind of ****ed up puzzle is that?