1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reggie Miller is not one of the 2011 Hall of Fame nominees

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Feb 18, 2011.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-millerhalloffame021711

2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Apologies. I meant finalists in the thread title

3. ThaShark316_28

Absolute BULL****

4. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

wow... what the hell does a guy have to do to get in if Reggie isn't first ballot?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Its the freaking basketball hall of fame of all things. That's just ridiculous. Russian basketball coaches make the hall of fame and Reggie Miller isnt even a finalist.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This really has to suck for Miller.

I mean someone just dethroned your number 1 spot in all time 3 pointers made, and you don't even make it into the first ballot for Hall of fame when you were projected to be one?

7. Asian Sensation

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

wow.... makes you wonder what it takes exactly to be considered these days??

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they need to make it harder to freakin' get it, and hopefully it's a start.

reggie was a clutch player, but realistically, he wasn't a top 5-10 player for his entire career. he had 3 3rd team all-nba. so they're right that he shouldn't be a first-ballot.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

its not a start at all. Some team owners got into the hall of fame, why isn't Miller not even a finalist?

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

All of this "first ballot" horse**** that's started to carry over from baseball is really getting on my nerves. It makes me hate baseball even more.

12. mrjuandiego1988

mybe he no good enuff? ;)

13. windz

windz Member

^this

miller was never a super star... he was famous for couple games against the knicks and now ppl overhype him.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I remember Miller and how great he was.

That said, especially to casual sports observers or ESPN analyst types who aren't ex-NBA, Miller never won it all even though the pacers had some pretty good teams, he was fairly one dimensional (having fire and a big mouth talking **** does not a defensive player make), and basically made a bunch of threes. Plus, his sister owned him in one-on-one even into his adult life.

I could see how he couldn't get enough votes.

1 person likes this.
  15. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

I don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about Reggie not making it this time. I agree that he was great, but the numbers don't suggest that he's a surefire HOFer. He's remembered as a scorer, but he only scored more than 20ppg in 6 of 18 seasons. His career numbers aren't much better than Kevin Martin's. I know that Miller had strong playoff numbers, but these are career season numbers.

Miller career: 18.2 ppg 3.0rpg 3.0 apg

Martin career: 18.1 ppg 3.5rpg 2.0apg

16. BleedsRocketRed

I hope Rudy T makes it eventually

17. baller024

baller024 Member

This is SOLID, finally the the HOF makes a stance.

Bill Simmons says it best to sum up his overall career:

Reggie's prime coincided with the weakest stretch of talent since the ABA/NBA merger (1994-1998)

Reggie has the lowest number of All-Star Game appearances of any modern superstar (five, while no one else on Simmon's list had less than seven)
    At no point was Reggie considered one of the NBA's top ten players for a single season

Reggie's reputation as a great playoff player has been exaggerated (eg, game 7 against the Knicks in the 94 playoffs, game 7 against the Magic in the 95 playoffs, game 6 against the Knicks in the 99 East Finals)

Indiana was 9-15 in elimination games and 3-5 in deciding Game 5's or 7's during Reggie's career

He was a player that was similar to that of Rip Hamilton and Kevin Martin, he couldn't create for himself OR others so the Pacers had him running around like a little puppy to go around screens and knock down shots. It honestly would have been a TRAVESTY if Reggie Miller made it in. He got TOO much hype for his clutch performances in New York. Reggie Miller is nothing more than a Rip Hamilton on steroids, and even then Rip's defense was better. He was NEVER a superstar in the league.

1 person likes this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

maybe if they didn't allow in everyone and their dog otherwise, it wouldn't be so shocking. but they do.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, i could not disagree more. i'm sure you could point me to stats and formulas to back up your case...but Reggie Miller was absolutely a superstar in the league.

and by the way...bill simmons diminishing a player's accomplishments because he thinks there was less talent in the league is a joke. i was never impressed by the teams that shaq/kobe's lakers beat in the Finals, but i can't strip away the fact they beat the opponents put in front of them. that's all you can do. it's also ridiculous, because no one on the East Coast would be making arguments about diminished talent during that timeframe if the Knicks had beaten the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

miller wasn't great. michael jordan was great. hakeem was great. hell, even david robinson was great. karl malone was great.

those guys are first ballot HOF type players.

you think miller was on their level? NOT EVEN CLOSE.

HOF in general has been too lenient. that's why i just roll my eyes every year at some of the selections.