1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Regarding the defense 3 sec calls on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I don't have the number/stats on this but I believe Rockets is probably one of the most called teams on this foul for the season.

Usually the foul will be called on either Harden of Howard.

So it's not just happened in this game and I think McHale needs to do something about it.

In Harden's case, it's kind of lazy defense and more than often we will need to cut him some slack due to his offense.

But in Howard's case, its more like he needs to trust his teammates more, and I actually will agree with Bill Worrell, sometime its better for Howard to just trust his teammates and not even go for the block (less goal-tend also) but rather get a better rebounding position.

The heat made some really tough shots today and we are still in it most of the time, our defense is much improved but I think we still should do better.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would argue over half the calls are wrong, the player steps out and back into the lane, and somehow they miss the step out, particularly on DMo he is always out and back in, but still gets called for it....the refs are just not doing a good job.

DD

3. NotChandlerParsons

Or they're just calling it wrong on purpose. 3-second calls were a favorite of Tim Donaghy, and his good buddy Scott Foster was reffing the game tonight.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Maybe i've been in a coma but I don't remember Harden getting 3-second calls ever. It's always one of the bigs, why would Harden be camped out near the rim? He's a perimeter player

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have to believe that it is by design now. Our weak side defenders always sag to the edge of the paint to get ready to help. I guess it makes it appear to the refs that they are inside the paint the whole time because they do not appear to be guarding their men on the far side of the court.

6. Mr. Space City

the bulls have been getting away defensive 3 seconds for like 3 years now.

seems once you get that reputation as a defensive team the refs give you little bit more flexibility with that rule

7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

3-second technical foul is the most subjective and arbitrary call in basketball. 1. You can't be in the lane for 3 seconds (Or what the official thinks is 3 seconds, sometimes they only count to 2.) 2. If you ARE in the painted area, you need to be within defensive reach of an opposing player you are guarding (Again, being within reach is highly subjective.)

It's worse than the charge/block call, or that stupid "arm rip" shooting foul that Durant and Chris Paul love to do.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

Howard does not need to trust his teammates more. Have you seen them play defence on the perimeter? Howard did a pretty darn good job protecting the paint, well worth the 3 seconds calls against him.

I agree, defensive 3 seconds is really inconsistent, and a very volatile call. They should more clearly define it.

9. yummyhawtsauce

it messes up the flow of the game, especially negative for the team that receives it. many teams get called others do not - super inconsistent - plus it is a really tough thing to call because you are already watching so many other things in the game. do they have one of the ref's that is dedicated to counting it?

10. smr6

smr6 Member

Dwight is usually good for 1 3-second call and 1 goal tending call a game.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

While he is called for it more than the average player, I will take that when he also gives the Rockets nearly 13+ good shot contests and 9 average shot contests in the paint against the Heat. No brainer to me.

It is inconsistent, I agree, and it does mess up the flow of the game. However, while I disagree with the call because it is inconsistent, Howard should not change his gameplan because of it. He contests too many shots.