1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refurbished Computers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Dec 13, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On the terabyte drive though, it's just a regular HDD, right? are you running an SSD as well? I know from the latest updates on windows 10... It basically makes the system sluggish if only using a HDD. I mean pre-fetching can help but it's still going to hold the system back.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, it's just an old school Dell rig for general surfing and work tasks -- no gaming or bitcoin mining (etc).

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dell Inspiron 3000 Series i3847-4617BK Desktop (3.2 GHz Intel Core i5-4460 Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD
    1. [​IMG]
    Here is the new model $459

DELL Inspiron i3650 – 0635slv Desktop (6th Generation Intel Core i5, 8 GB de RAM, 1 TB HDD, wifi, bluetooth, windows 10 home)

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

.Huge bargain at Office Depot $330 off

Lenovo™ IdeaPad™ S340 Laptop, 15.6" Screen, 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7, 8GB Memory, 256GB Solid State Drive, Windows® 10 Home, Onyx Black, 81VW0020US

Item # 8821010
    $779.99
    Instant Savings$330.00
    Your Price$449.99
      • 15.6" anti-glare LCD offers a crystal-clear picture. Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution provides detailed images, and LED backlighting provides a thinner, more energy-efficient screen.

• Get the processing power you need from a 10th Gen Intel Core i7.

• 8GB of memory is available to run your programs and games. Memory is expandable up to 12GB. Additional memory is sold separately.

• 256GB solid state drive holds your digital file collections. Solid state drives have no moving parts, which generally results in faster start-up times, reduced heat production and less drain on the battery than hard drives.

• Wireless-AC (802.11ac) delivers high-performance, cable-free networking. Share files, exchange e-mail and check up on social media.

• Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 4 types of memory cards. Accepts Secure Digital™, SDHC™, SDXC and MultiMediaCard™ cards (sold separately).

• Features 2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB-C 3.1 for ultra-fast data transfers. USB 3.0 is up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0, yet fully compatible with USB 2.0.

• Webcam with 720p video resolution lets you video chat with friends, family and colleagues. Privacy shutter provides security.

• Two 2W speakers with Dolby® DAX 3 deliver rich, clear sound.

• Bluetooth® wireless technology makes connecting to enabled printers, speakers and headphones simple.

• Use the HDMI™ port to view videos and photos on your HDTV (HDMI cable sold separately).

• Rechargeable battery frees you up to move around. Battery life will vary depending on the product configuration, product model, applications loaded on the product, power management setting of the product, and the product features used by the customer. As with all batteries, the maximum capacity of this battery will decrease with time and usage.

• Installed with Microsoft® Windows 10 Home.

• Backed by the manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty.

• Intel, the Intel Logo, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Core, Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium and Pentium Inside are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I think I am ready to pull the trigger and thanks for all of the Info everybody.

I decided to add to my budget and get a new laptop my only hangup is SSD or HDD.

These are the 2 I am looking at.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laptop-17z-touch-optional-3qb09av-1

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-laptop-15z-touch-optional-3je20av-1

How much different is the speed?

I have a 10 year old laptop now and really have no issue with boot time or loading times usually.

I do like to keep stuff on my computer but I could always get a portable drive.

So my question is does it really make that much of a difference especially with a new computer?

I can get something comparable from Lenova which is better?

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think model wise Dell lenovo hp are all decent, but with that said, regardless of model get an SSD, even if you add it later, it's the single most important thing in the last 10 years for computers. With all the updates to windows 10 the mechanical drive shouldn't even be offered on new computers (unless it's a 2nd drive for storage). For example even if you're doing basic Windows functions a system that's say 4+ years old will be able to boot to Windows/login/load every thing and possibly shut down before a mech drive is even at the login screen (okay, maybe you're logged in but good luck loading something).

It made sense when drives were too expensive but now.. There's 0 reason to pass on an SSD.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The 15z will be absurdly faster because it has an SSD

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL @ folks that still use HDD as their main drive.

SSD is dirt cheap now.

No excuse not to have one.

Xenon and CometsWin like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is a slot to add ssd on the HP, should I just get the SSD and add more with portable?

So windows 10 use the issue with a HDD?

#49 jiggyfly, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When you say faster what do you mean?

Boot time?

Load time?

I don't game and my 10 year old laptop does what but not always.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Other laptops are cheaper and give you more storage that's an excuse to not have one.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you mean faster?

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not worth it.

SSD will make the biggest difference in your laptop's user experience and speed.

And the older the laptop gets, the more painful your experience will be without a SDD.

Besides the system responding faster, SSD will also extend your laptop battery life.

SSD first, everything else later.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok thanks but I actually read that SSD will wear out faster and it has rewrite limitations.

I will most likley go with SSD but I could always upgrade to it and was wondering how to get the most bang for the buck.

If the difference is 30 second boot time or milliseconds of loading time its not that big a deal to me.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Your laptop will die out long before you reach SSD rewrite limitations. Those numbers are for testing purposes and 24/7 machines constantly running full load. For normal users like yourselves, those numbers dont mean anything.

It is not just the boot time.

Everything will respond faster even during normal operations. HDD gets slower over time, even if you regularly defragment your drive and keep up with your maint.

HDD heats up. SSD will keep your system cooler.

HDD has mechanical parts. It is noisy and annoying. SDD is quiet.

Because it has mechanical parts, HDD is also more likely to fail when moving laptops around. SDD has no mechanical parts. It's reliability is entirely dependent on the manufacturing.

HDD will eat up your laptop battery. OTOH SSD has low power consumption.

SSD is also lighter and smaller than HDD so it will reduce your laptop weight even more.

Seriously, I cant stand HDDs.

I use SSds on all my systems and I cant ever go back. The difference is ginormous once you have used a SSD.

Get a SDD even if it doesnt come with your system and install it yourself. It's cheap and easy.

Use the HDD as a paper weight to remind yourself of what your parents went through.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok thats what I have been reading, thanks a lot.

How hard is it to add SDD can I just plug something in or do I have to open the laptop?

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Depending on your laptop you might have to open it or it could be as easy as going through thee drive bay.

But most likely someone has already done it on the system you are looking at and will have a step by step instruction online or on YouTube.

In some laptops and systems it might be hard or impossible for you to upgrade because of the way they have soldered things on.

My suggestion is to google and find out beforehand if you can upgrade the system you are looking at yourself.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The memory is expandable: add a second module (either 4GB or 8GB) and go up to 12GB or 16GB. If you want something faster than a 5400RPM SATA, there is a M.2 SSD slot, which allows a Solid State Drive (up to 256GB) to be installed.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9990997

So that means you have a slot inside the computer right?

Or a port?

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

M2 is something that basically sits ontop of your mother board. Its not a port on the case.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok thanks.