1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refurbished Computers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Dec 13, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I went down the rabbit hole last night researching and looking for a computer, I settled on a dell because they had a 50% of and had everything I wanted.

So I have already stayed up past bedtime but at least i found a great deal but the discount code would not apply.

So another 30 minutes reading the fine print and trying the code on several different computers and it still would not apply.

Long story short I stayed up about an hour past bedtime, did not get my computer and had to go to bed pissed.:mad:

This is what discount was being offered.

Ends Wed., 12/18, 9 AM CST: 50% off Latitude E5470 Laptops ( excl. Clearance), free ground ship. Use coupon code: BUYE5470NOW

Holiday Savings: Get $10 off 1 Year Extended Laptop Warranties. Automatic at checkout, just add to cart. Was $49, Now $39

*Coupons apply to online orders only. Coupon codes not valid on clearance items

Holiday Savings: Get $10 off 1 Year Extended Laptop Warranties. Automatic at checkout, just add to cart. Was $49, Now $39

*Coupons apply to online orders only. Coupon codes not valid on clearance items

This is the computer.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-latitude-14-5000-series-e5470-264127.html

2. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

That sounds good. There is another one for a few dollars more. https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers/dell-optiplex-7040-264687.html

Dellrefurbished often has sales with model specific coupons (excluding clearance normally).

For example:
    'JOLLY50LAPTOP' works for 50% off Latitude 7450 and 5450.
    'HOLLY50DESKTOP' works for 50% Optiplex 5040 and 7040

Once in a long while, they'll run a coupon code that's 50% off anything in the store. Google around and you'll bound to find something you like.

Also be aware that they sell units that doesn't come with Windows as well. So if you need Windows, be careful to not get those units.

3. jchu14

That's a good choice. The screen resolution is a bit low, but that's personal preference.

I just tried 'BUYE5470NOW' and it worked to bring the price down to $315. You should try it again.

The coupon expires at 9am today, so you should act fast.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you look up at my post I had picked out a good one and the coupon would not apply, I am gonna check those out.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok it worked, I am gonna look at the others before 9.

Thanks a bunch.

I am gonna have it hooked up to my TV so I don't really care that much about resolution.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok you sent me back down the rabbit hole.

Now I am thinking am I overbuying a computer after reading stuff about chips and memory.

Anyway I decided against the laptop because I want to look at some other stuff, I am glad the coupon did not go through.:D

Once again thanks for the help at you got me somewhat focused on a particular type.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What do you mean overbuying? Like... If it's a desktop get an i5 / 8gb ram /ssd, the generation of it is important here so probably 6th should be obtainable if cheap. If it's a notebook, you need to pay a lot more attention to the generation, ie some i5/i7s only have 2 physical + 2 logical cores so they're not true quad+ cores like a desktop is. With what you're looking for I think the latitude is still nice since you could always make it portable but if you seriously don't plan on moving it then desktop is fine and you'll get more performance.

Also regarding the resolution on a notebook.... I know you didn't ask this, but you lose most perks of a higher resolution screen since you'll be scaling it, in your price range 720/1080p is fine unless you're going to use the 4k screen for a specific purpose. Seriously try using a 4k screen at 100% scaling on a 14" screen, good luck. Most computer users aren't realizing the scaling done automatically on some systems, sure it'll look better at 4k but after scaling all that extra desktop real-estate is gone now that you zoomed in 200+% and have basically made it a 1080p screen. Like you'd probably need a 32" screen to make 4k comfortable at 100%.

One last thing to add, that I do like on most latitudes is their use of a dock, you can get a cheap one and have a keyboard/mouse/display ready to go but also move the system anytime you want. Sure there's other docks/systems out there but some of these older ones using the locked in style dock worked great.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Overbuying meaning meaning I don't need necesarily need the latest chip or the most powerful or big ssd drive or the best resolution.

So what I have learned that I need is at least a i5 chip 5th gen and I want a ssd no particular size because I can upgrade or go portable.

I am leaning to get a desktop now and then get a laptop later, I have a work laptop so I don't really need one and the desktops seem to have the most bang for the buck.

I want Hdmi because I am not sure how good the converters work, do you know?

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Dvi/hdmi/DisplayPort all convert fine, just make sure you get the right type. Ie, if you go from DP from pc to HDMI, make sure the cable states DP to HDMI, this is just an example and typically doesn't play as much of a role any longer(but used to be important in situations where you had to have an active cable etc). The only ones to avoid are vga to hdmi/dvi/dp adapters, that's where you'll get more handshaking issues. But as far as digital you won't have any issues converting video, if you have a system you want me to look at just let me know and I can show you what cable to get. Also would you only be concerned carrying video or audio too, to the tv/display?

If you're running windows 10, go with 240-256gb ssd. 8gb ram is the minimum I'd recommend for any user at this point, and 5th/6th gen desktop i5 is fine, the 5th is a bit more rare, ie most home builders went from 4th to 6th, 6th gen also introduces Ddr4, so if you can find it for very close to the same price it might make it worth it in the long run. I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in day to day use but the newer memory is nice.

#29 CCity Zero, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Here are the final choices.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-latitude-14-7000-series-e7450-262581.html

Is the above that much better than these and is it cheaper to upgrade or just purchase included.

How much difference is the chip?

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-latitude-14-7000-series-e7450-262581.html

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-latitude-14-5000-series-e5450-264021.html

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-latitude-14-5000-series-e5450-264021.html

The last one seems to be the best but how much would it cost to upgrade the 1st to the last one or is it worth it.

All are 50% off so they are in my budget but I like to get the greatest deal.:D

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think it only let you copy 2 different links, it looks like both have an i5 5300u. One thing to keep in mind on a laptop proc almost all I've seen within the last few years are soldered to the board so you really can't upgrade it, outside of replacing the motherboard.

With that said, can you redo the links or let me know what procs they were?

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dell Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5450)
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 (i5-5300U) 2.30 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB
    • Hard Drive: 256 GB
    • Display: 14" HD (1366 x 768)
    Your Price $409.00

Dell Latitude 14 7000 Series (E7450)
    This unit features:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 (i7-5600U) 2.60 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB
    $489.00

Dell Latitude 14 7000 Series (E7450)
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 (i5-5300U) 2.30 GHz
    • Memory: 16 GB
    $459.00

I guess the biggest question is the chip what should be my baseline?

I can easily upgrade everything else.

I saw some i3 chips that have higher Ghz than i5 and i7?

#32 jiggyfly, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Also take a look at this.

350 off.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/computer-workstation/dell-precision-3000-series-3420-265032.html

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

check these out.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops/dell-latitude-14-7000-series-e7470-257642.html

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

ok thanks.

it's 350 off.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Check cpu benchmark speeds...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

I bought a mid range Dell about 5 years ago new with a solid i5, terabyte HD, and 8 gigs of RAM for $550 new -- it is still running like new. Seems like you should be able to get something much better for less money.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

what i5 chip was that?

how many ghz and what type of hard drive is it?

19. jchu14

If you don't need the portability, I would stick with the desktops.

The core i5 and i7 'U' processors are mobile processors that only has 2 core as opposed to the 4 cores in desktop i5 and i7 processors. They also thermal throttle a lot faster than desktop processors. One of the 5450 laptop you posted earlier had a 4 core mobile processor so that's kind of the middle ground.

For example:
    The core i5-6500 is about 20% faster than the core i7-5600U in single threaded workload and 67% faster in multi threaded workloads.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-5600U-vs-Intel-i5-6500/2456vs2599

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry on the delay, so the posts above are really good advice, looking at the site you'd have to pick the quad core specific notebooks to get closer to a quad core desktop. The u series is great if you're looking for portability/battery life but these versions available only offer dual cores, for performance you'd want to look at the quad hq ones i5 or i7 for notebooks. And if you truly are just thinking desktop, then I think i5 desktop will perform better overall from what I've seen on the site.

The most important feature with everything and from your described usage scenario is to make sure it's an i5 and an SSD. I think if just basic usage the u series even dual core is okay, but for that sacrifice you'd want to be using it in some portable situations.