1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. conquistador#11

You'll never see Battier rolling around like he was hit by shrapnel after a slap to the chest. It wasn't even a slap, watch it in slow motion. Hill was hit harder by Bosh on a lo0se ball. :rolleyes:

But there is no such thing as superstar calls according to the commissar. :rolleyes: That's the part that is a complete disgrace.

2. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

To be honest, there were a lot of ludicrous fouls called on both sides. By that, I mean that they called it extremely tight. I can't imagine how long that 4th quarter lasted because every possession ended with some sort of whistle. There was no flow to the game and no way to build momentum.

3. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i disagree....thats a big problem with todays game alot of these guys fundamentals are lacking to say the least....i miss the good ole days which began to decline in the mid 90's hakeem jordan and bird would destroy todays league with the current rules and type of defender. back in the mid early 90's there were many bulldog defenders (derek harper on kenny smith 94' finals) very few players have that intensity today and the rules have been changed....imagined if bird flopped in todays league he would prob have avg. 5-6 points more a game...

4. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

I know, Wade is the worst - he may not be the worst flopper in the league, but he is certainly the best milker

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's not the accuracy of the call, it's the way it was made. one minute it's a regular foul, then a couple minutes later after conferring with spoelstra, it's a flagrant.

how come other players/teams don't get the benefit of conference review with the head coach to ensure the accuracy of calls? :confused:

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

have you been watching NBA games for the last decade?

the refs are a master at this -- give team A more FTs but when the game is in the balance the calls and noncalls are skewed in team B's favor

the heat play very physical inside so the majority of their fouls will be on shots, not on the floor. the rockets fouled intentionally 4 times at the end on joel anthony so take those away and the rockets shot 7 more free throws than the heat. thats really not a huge difference. i would like to see number of free throws shot in the fourth quarter alone.

the refs gave the heat every benefit of a swallowed whistle and call in the fourth when the game was in the balance. like others here I am not so sure if that should have been a flagrant AB may have been too short to get there but the antics after the play and the timeout (great timeout by heat coach) to get more time to argue resulted in the flagrant 1 being called. i have issue with that changing it to a flagrant after an obvious lobbying attempt. Worrell said the refs didnt even look at a replay of the foul to decide whether to call it a flagrant or not they just based their decision on seeing wade on the floor for 2 minutes and spolestra arguing. To me that is a horrid way of officiating and making a call that changed the entire complexion of the game. (Since wade got another phantom and-1 call on the extra possession)

The touch fouls aside the heat were getting in the fourth I agree with DD the obvious carrying by Wade frustrated me the most. The play where Brooks fouled Chalmers on a 3...Wade literally went around Scola on a pick without even dribbling once and then bounced it jumped to make a pass and knocked over Chase in the process. I'd have to see a replay but I think Chase may have flopped on that contact so not calling that is not a huge deal but the carry was so painfully obvious.

The travel and charge on James at the end where he knocked down Scola which cleared open the area for Anthony to get the rebound no call...but then again they had just called a charge the previous play before I can understand why the refs wouldnt call 2 charges in a row but they really should.

And non-calls made a huge difference after wade picked up his second early he basically arm-locked and wrestled with Shane in the post before and when Shane had the ball but nothing was called at all...he gets his third there he probably goes out till the 2nd half. His third foul came at the end on the charge. (I Bavetta was the baseline ref at the time when Shane was being mugged). The worst part about this non-call was that after all that contact Wade got away with the very next heat possession James in the post and Martin gets called for a touch foul committing 1/10 of the contact Wade had made on Shane.

But to me the 3 calls (all involved Wade) that made the biggest difference was 1) the mugging he got away with on Shane in the 2nd quarter..get his third there and it changes the rest of the second quarter 2) the flagrant called after 2-3 minutes of lobbying...no way any other team gets away with that 3) the crazy crazy carry that lead to the chalmers foul on the 3.

the rest i can just attribute to that they are stars but the 3 above were so freakin obvious

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Hey Yoyo, on that particular foul I rewatched it right after the call. If you get a chance watch it carefully,both bevetta and the baseline ref where already making the call before Aaron made contact with Chalmers. I wish I could post a video.

Both officials hands where going up as Brooks was closing out. Way early, anticipating a foul. That is my biggest issue with officiating. Call what you see not what you anticipate.

And don't even get me started on having a 70 year old officiating games where you have arguably the best atheletes in the world.
    The guy lost to Barkley in a foot race!! There should be an age limit to officiating.

8. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I was thinking sinse we Houston fans love to talk about how much Refs are ruining the game, I think we should put in here all the fustrations from the NBA players going foward about the refs, on how horrible this is getting. I'll go first and those who want to follow, follow, those who think it's a dumb idea, go hide in your dark closets!

STEVE NASH ON REFS;

Steve Nash picked up a technical foul during the Suns' 123-110 loss to the Sixers on Wednesday.

Nash demonstratively argued with an official following an out-of-bounds call during the fourth quarter. Nash continued to argue after receiving the technical call.

"I'm going to f*****g punch one of these motherf*****s in the face," said Nash to Alvin Gentry according to two sources.

9. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

I don't like it when anyone flops, or when you fake a jump shot and jump into the defender who's in the air and get FT's. You're wrong about 1 thing, Hayes doesn't flop, he takes charges which is a different thing. You can flop a charge, but Chuck doesn't do that, Battier is in that same boat, but sometimes does flop contact. The biggest floppers are Lowry, Martin and Scola, but flopping is also a result of the refs. They know exactly who the floppers are on every team, especially the most well known ones in the league. The refs can stop flopping single handedly, but they choose not to.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't know if it's already been posted here, but IMO the most relevant aspect of last night's game is that miami was favored to win by 5.5 points......and won by 6

nba action -- it's fantastic :rolleyes:

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

<3 Nash

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I get really pissed off at the lengths Stern goes to in order to make/keep NBA basketball a superstar-driven "product." Why can't we have one set of rules that applies to ALL players, then hire and train refs to enforce those rules in a consistent manner? The NFL does a pretty good job of it; there, you rarely see infractions being ignored because a player is among the best in the league. Just enforce the rules evenly and let the superstars rise to the top and stay there based on performance alone. No need to help them along. :mad:

13. mrjuandiego1988

yes.....

14. returningfan

returningfan Member

I blame the refs on our loss to the Heat. I think we had the Heat on the run for most of the game - but momentum killed and bad calls made against us and many no calls against them cost us points. Trying to remember - two fouls early on against Miller that even Chaney remarked were wrong. blocks/charges. And a foul against Scola when a Heat player ran into him - Scola just standing there but drew a foul? The dubious flagrant and 3 pt fouls against Brooks. Travel calls on us but not on them. I had previously thought Bevetta was a decent ref. I would like to see replays of the fouls against us that should not have been.

15. houseofglass21

Bevetta is a constipated old coot. They need to stop having senile grandpa's reffing NBA games.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think the NBA does have statistics for refs. Unfortunately they don't really care to do anything about it as long as the game goes in sperm's favor.