1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refs rigging games for the Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Apr 13, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL!!! (if this is a reference to that annoying McDonald's commercial)

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Who else is excited for the Lakers to take 70 more FT's than the Warriors tonight? I kid, I kid... it will be more like 45.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/322901813735088130">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lakers have shot 36 FT's so far... GSW has shot 10. Whole period to go. This is high comedy.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/322929412104396801">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lakers announcers criticizing the Warriors for complaining after every call. Funniest TV show I have watched all season. 38-10 FT's now.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/322930975292141569">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tonight's shot chart, presented without comment: <a href="http://t.co/wFkJsIHKQh" title="http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=400278909">scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?…</a></p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/322936609668476928">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>GSW somehow had 15 offensive rebounds and 16 FTA's. LA took 50 FT's. Who else is excited for Mark Jackson's post-game presser?</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/322940389357142016">April 13, 2013</a></blockquote>

Shot chart clearly shows the Warriors didn't 'only shoot jumpers' vs. the Lakers 'taking it inside all game'.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fQBBkKcdRtY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foul on festus after Ron artest hooked his arm down the stretch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GRumli2qLqg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the supposed foul by curry that sent Blake to the line for the final lead. Lakers were getting these calls all game, especially down the stretch.

Couldn't find a video of the jarret jack foul on the rebound that they gave the warriors a time out on. Oh and if anyone thinks I'm hating on the lakers or anything, I had them on the money line. Stern, don't make it so obvious man! Nba = WWE

#23 BmwM3, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

There are 15 games on tap for the season finale Wed. night.

What are the odds Joey Crawford is assigned to our game vs. The Lakers?

5. B

B Contributing Member

With the Kobe injury, I am not so sure the league will continue to help the Lakers. It should be interesting to track the Jazz FTA vs Lakers FTA for the last few games and see if the tend reverses for both teams.

6. peter2012

peter2012 Member

That is all true, I watched in my own eyes.

7. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Depends on if Stern thinks it will make an even greater story for the poor Lakers winning a championship from the 8th seed despite a season of terrible adversity. Although, during last night's game with Memphis, I was beginning to wonder if Stern was trying to position the Lakers for the seventh seed.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

No doubt about it, also very fishy calls during Rockets - Grizzlies game

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

ZOMG refs tots biased for Rockets:
    3/30 - Houston 37, Clippers 14
    4/1 - Houston 22, Magic 21
    4/3 - Houston 21, Kings 34
    4/5 - Houston 35, Trailblazers 24
    4/6 - Houston 32, Nuggets 21
    4/9 - Houston 24, Suns 19
    4/12 - Houston 28, Grizzlies 28

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

the travesty of yesterdays game was masked by Kobe's career threatening injury...#50-17

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

Have you even been watching Laker games? Did you see the screwjob against Golden State last night? I was just shared something interesting I found in the OP after being outraged that the refs stole a game from the Warriors. The calls were 2002-esque.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oIhRES3uW4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Judge for yourselves.

I think what is most surprising were the late game calls that favored LA. I think Hack-a-Dwight was a major factor in the free throw disparity, but the game came down to the wire and the crunch time calls were pretty one-sided.

I'm going to say if Lakers were the ones playing the Grizzlies yesterday, those late game fouls that should have been called, would have been called.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i just watched the replay of the injury. did they really call a foul on harrison barnes for kobe falling down?

LOL

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The Blake-Curry play was poorly called, but I can understand it. Curry tried to force himself over the top and gave Blake a decent bump.

The Festus call, however, is just ludicrous by any measure.

50-17 is also completely insane, Dwight or no. Or, er, 32-17?? (as per the video)

#34 B-Bob, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The first half was called fairly evenly, it wasn't until GS started pulling away that the refs went full r****d.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I get it now ...

Memphis had 7 FTA vs LAL 18 FTA when they lost 84-86 on April 5.

So they get their make-up free throw advantage game against the Rockets.

Golden State will either get their FTA advantage games against SAS or Portland. I guess it'll be against SAS because LAL won't make it past the first round, so might as well give them OKC match-up for TV ratings.

The Rockets will get their FTA advantage game against Phoenix, because Stern sure won't give it to the Rockets against LAL because a Kobe-less LAL team is still better for the NBA than having the Jazz in it.

It's all rigged. It just can't be too obvious, all the time.

Like the Rockets vs Memphis, the final foul count wasn't as big of a gap, but Memphis got all the momentum changing ones, and the fouls that either led to a Rocket turnover or Memphis FTs, whereas the Rockets got a lot of fouls when they already had possession, and didn't lead to FTs. It's how the refs keep the obvious bias less noticeable, but still influence the games greatly.

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I said it weeks ago if the lakers miss the playoffs then the nba is not rigged.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

He's already in uniform.

[​IMG]

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Small sample size. Why not use the 5 games before that? Also, the rockets either shoot a three or harden drives and draws a foul. Lin and asik also draw a lot of fouls.

I cant convince you and you will never convince me. Start a thread that says the nba is not rigged if it helps you sleep.

Im a basketball atheist. You want me to believe everything is fine and dandy and the guys are too ethical to be influenced by money. Prove it.

20. clippy

clippy Member

Wow, the foul on Curry leading to the Blake FTs was even worse than I thought? I thoight refs didn't want to decide the games? Then WTF was that? Even with Kobe out, his spirit lives on in all the phantom fouls...

People are harping on Kobe's injury but the fact is he had something like a 6-7 games left this year (assuming Mission: Stern succeeded) and then he was done for the season. Most likely he'll be back next year anyway. But the systematic tragedy that is the clear case that the league is fixing games is a much bigger story. Unfortunately it is being largely overlooked now,