1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Referee scandal and media coverup

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sun12, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sun12

sun12 Member

Who is this "league official" who told JVG about the foul calls against Yao? I have been waiting for years to find out, but the NBA, the media, ESPN, news reporters choose not to dig the story out. Even after the Donaghy accusation, the news reporters just do not mention it too much because they are in the same camp with the NBA, all of them benefit from the coverup.

Look, this "league official" is not difficult to find out. JVG knows who he is, the other referees know who he is. The fed can just subpoena JVG and other referees and put them under oath to find out who this guy is. Unlike the King-Lakers series which there is no way to prove there is a conspiracy because the "company man" just did the job without being told so. There is no evidence, tape or anything for that 2002 King-lakers series. But for the fouls call against Yao, it is relatively easy to find out who the guy is. Then from this guy, FBI can dig out more.

Does this make sense? Why no news reporters dig out who the "league official" is and go from there? Stern said Donaghy's accuasation is baseless. Okay, let's get this "league official" and find out how baseless it is.

This can not be that difficult. So why didn't the news reporters dig out? It has to be the case that their interest is also aligned with the NBA and they don't want fans to find out and further damage the credibility of the NBA. This is one accusation that is easy and tangible to find out.

2. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

the reason the media follows in the cover-up is b/c unveiling the truth would be career suicide. The is the same reason the truth of 9/11 is not out in the open.

There is so much we don't and will not ever know, and are just going to have to accept that.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good call comparing this ref thing to 9/11 :rolleyes:

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

I had heard reference to Stu Jackson himself. But it's hearsay at this point.

5. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

Good point.

6. cavevato

cavevato Member

I think that went over your head

7. ibm

ibm Member

i thought everyone agreed it was stu j?

8. yobod

yobod Member

That's what I heard as well, but I can't recall where I saw that. And something tells me that when this thing goes to trial, EVERYBODY is going to get a subpoena. This has the potential of being bigger than the Clemens hearing.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reasonable.

Credibility: shot.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i'm pretty sure that it didn't.

further, how would the media uncovering this scandal be career suicide? that's like saying it was career suicide for woodward and bernstein to uncover watergate.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No it's not. The career suicide one I get. If you're paid by a media outlet to cover the NBA, you don't want to see the NBA damaged too much.

I'm not saying I think that's happening here....but that's his logic.

12. cavevato

cavevato Member

I dont know. I dont really follow politics. I dont think he was comparing the nba/refs fixing games to an American tragedy...If sports journalists who strictly cover the NBA were to give any credibillity to Donaghy's allegations(especially now w/ no evidence) they are jeopardizing their career, or atleast their credibility.

If any evidence surfaces supporting Donaghy's claim, it still jeopardizes their career. So maybe they would hope that if no one puts too much credence to this "scandal", it will just quietly goes away. Im sure there will be some who want to be the first "whistleblowers"

For regular journalists who have nothing to lose/gain, well I dont know...

13. bucket

bucket Member

JVG knows who he is. I'm not sure whether any other refs know.

I imagine Bernanke has other priorities at the moment.

In all seriousness, I don't understand all the fuss about Donaghy's latest allegations. We already knew everything he's said about the Mavs series, which was poorly officiated but not rigged. Remember, JVG was fined not for lying but for refusing to reveal his source. The argument that the fine was excessive is largely a separate issue.

As for the Kings-Lakers series, I'm not buying what Donaghy is selling. Everyone already knew how badly the refs botched game 6. As Donaghy was awaiting prison, he and his lawyer clearly tried to come up with ways to throw the rest of the NBA under the bus in an attempt to appear more cooperative. What better way than to make these accusations about one of the most controversial performances by the refs in recent memory? Also, do you really believe that if a couple of refs decided to fix a game, they would tell the other refs about it?

I think everyone needs to slow down before they start believing every word that comes out of this felon's mouth.

Lastly, I don't believe for a second that the media are covering this up. Even if that were best for sports journalism as a whole, there would be some reporter out there who would realize he can make a name for himself by revealing a huge scandal.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What media cover up? If Van Gundy wanted to reveal his source do you really think ESPN would not want to know. What about the source, do you think he wants to get embroiled into all of this himself? That's where the career suicide actually is, for the supposed source.

As for the Federal Govt, this story is just developing. The federal government takes their time with cases. Right now the only person on trial is Donaghy, if they feel there's more going on, which they do wince they are asking around about Bevetta, then it'll happen.