1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redditor analyzes Harden's box score performance for correlation with city's avg strip club rating

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Nov 7, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I hope the user is joking like we seem to think here, but this reshare by a media member is why social media kills brain cells.

The user found no correlation.

1. An r squared of .2 doesn't mean "Hardens games are 20% explained by strip clubs" or whatever he said. It means at best, a linear math model is able to explain about 20% of the noise by using the strip club variable. On its own, it doesn't mean significance.
    2. In no world is .2 considered a moderate correlation. It's closer to nothing. R squared is on a scale of 0 to 1.
    3. He reports that he found this to be "statistically significant". That is determined by a "p" value, which he doesn't post, or better, a confidence interval of the coefficient of strip clubs.

This is a pretty good lesson for people on how faux statistics can be influential in politics and lifestyle.

#61 napalm06, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    vlaurelio, BallSoHarden and T.MAC like this.
  2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Harden needs to manage his load better.

3. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

...some of you guys really need to learn to take a joke

BleedsRocketRed and harold bingo like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People have far too much time on their hands.
    DD

dc rock likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

he also used local google ratings of strip clubs meaning he didn't compare strip clubs city vs city, it was strip clubs in city vs other strip clubs in the same city. it's a funny topic and little exercise but it's absolutely ridiculous. and as you mention you've got "media" sharing/discussing it as "news."

BallSoHarden and napalm06 like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don’t think you can say a given r^2 value is meaningless without considering the domain under study. This is one of those topics where outcomes are determined by a multitude of factors. You don’t necessarily need a really high r^2 to surmise that there is a positive connection between two variables.

I can’t judge if .2 to .4 should count as “moderate” for this study, as he claims.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

btw... this it total bullshit but it won't matter. narrative created, sports media puppets will repeat, causals will eat it up like mana from heaven.

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Seriously. I can't believe the amount of people taking this seriously and getting upset about it. It's a joke post.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m getting a PhD in Econ , so I love seeing statistics work like this

Overall , hilarious result , but taking out home games does a lot of harm because you can’t tell streaks or anything like that . The order of the games matter

So to be accepted in a journal this would need to be touched up a bit .

But overall , still , this is ducking hilarious and pretty awesome

Houstunna likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

:eek::eek::eek:

TimDuncanDonaut and J Sizzle like this.
  11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Man there are some touchy posters in here... Learn to take/appreciate a joke. Not everything is that serious.

12. napalm06

A regression analysis is an attempt to remove bias from this kind of analysis though. To say it changes due to the domain is defeating the purpose and I didn't like when the poster said that. At that point you are doing the math equivalent of drawing a scatterplot with a line through it and saying it looks good. An r squared doesn't become better or worse simply because your original assumption was that it would be high or low. A p value and confidence interval should be included just for a better conversation anyway.

It might be interesting to look at other star players though and see how much it differs.

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. napalm06

I'm not upset. It's a good opportunity for people to learn about stats if they care. Like the media parrots who are tweeting it without any qualifiers.

vlaurelio likes this.
  14. napalm06

bingo. It's hilarious that he did it. I would've done it too. But this is how fake news starts. Pretty soon skip bayless and Stephen A Smith will be quoting this on shows and this will somehow affect the MVP voting. Lol. Social media world.

BigDog63 and FrontRunner like this.
  15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Figured this had to be here already.

Wasn't sure whether to go with 'take that for data!', or 'well, that actually makes sense'.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Can anyone confirm whether that happened? Because I'm positive it would.

napalm06 likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Unless their alcohol laws are different than their bar laws, I don't believe it.

Utah has some of the most wussified restrictions in the country.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

4am is good. 3 would be too early, have to step back on 3's.

[​IMG]

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

oh, definitely, Utah strip clubs are legendary! said no one ever.