1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reconsider an Asik/Howard Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

All he cares about is Jones/Dmo being benched. Nothing else matters to him so of course he will take stats out of context to fit his argument. Its pretty obvious if you look at his post history thats all he cares about.

2. basketballholic

I don't have greater expectations in Jones. I'm not disappointed in Jones. Jones is a second year player with a limited skill set. He can handle and drive and finish when he is face-guarded. He has not underperformed my expectations of him. In fact, he's overachieved my expectations.

Once again, my comments aren't related to Jones specifically. Jones is simply the player that happens to be plugged in as the starter and primary minutes player at the weakest position we have on the roster. My comments are about our ability to win a championship this season. Something has to give at the power forward spot for that to happen. He's not good enough to run out there for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs and win a championship. That doesn't mean he's not a nice young man. That doesn't mean he doesn't hustle. That doesn't mean he doesn't play hard. That doesn't mean he hasn't earned his starting role. I mean just exactly what I say and nothing more. What I have said is he is not good enough to win a championship with as our primary forward playing 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. That is all.

3. Remii

Remii Member

It's meaningless period.

And it's not TJ's fault that Howard's post game comes and goes (goes more than it comes).. If we lose in the playoffs _ that will be why...

4. Artestsuckskobe

Lin over parsons!? Wtf?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Rockets Player A. goes 13 of 18 (72%) in 32 minutes, makes 75% of his FT's, shoots 100% from 3, gets 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, and is a +21.

While in the same game-

Rockets Player B. goes 10 of 15 (66%) in 31 minutes, makes 90% of his FT's, shoots 50% from 3, has 12 assists, 3 rebounds, and is a +26.

Sounds like Player A. needs to be shipped out of town ASAP while Player B. is an obvious superstar. His lack of assists & the fact that he is 5 points lower than a "championship caliber starter" is detrimental to the teams success and will be exploited in the playoffs.

This is an obvious weak leak in the chain and needs to be replaced by the player who recorded 13 minutes in a blowout, and has consistently lost his spot in the rotation throughout the season. Either than or he should be traded for Derrick Williams or Jason Smith because they have a higher +/- than Player A therefore giving variance to the Rockets to compete for championships.

Variance Clutchfans.... Variance.

6. basketballholic

All I care about on this team is seeing them win a championship. If they win a championship both DMo and Jones get a ring..both of their trade values likely increase a little bit...and we all celebrate. I don't care how that comes. If we can win a championship with Dmo or TJones running around out there for 30 minutes a game I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday and eat every word I have posted about them not being good enough to win a championship with right now.

But the truth is they are not good enough to help us win a championship by playing 30+ minutes a game. The only way we can win a championship this season is by limiting their minutes and usage, by essentially using them to give breathers to our main players that can carry us to a championship. They are essentially water boys on a championship team.

7. basketballholic

No it won't. If we lose in the playoffs and it's because our best or second best player making $20 million a year is why then we are in a heap of trouble as an organization. That's like blaming Lebron James for the Cavs failures. Doesn't hold water.

8. Remii

Remii Member

He can also rebound and block shots. He can also step out and guard perimeter players. His skill set is not limited as you portray it to be. He just needs time to grow..

9. basketballholic

No. Let's just look at box score of Player X busting loose on lottery teams when he's playing alongside 2 all-stars. Let's ignore all the games where he sucks when we play the teams we're going to have to beat in the playoffs to win a championship. Yeah, that's it. Just whistle dixey and look the other way when he is stinking up the joint against the Thunder, Clippers, etc. And then decide that we can't win a championship anyways so screw it let Player X mark up the box.

Genius

:)

10. Remii

Remii Member

Dude Howard is not on LeBron's level. And if we lose in the playoffs, the Rockets should have thought twice about giving a big man $20 million a year who can't do nothing but dunk...

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Give us the stats against the teams its been successful against verses the teams it hasn't worked. I bet that stat is greater. LOL

We will beat the Blazers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Suns and Mavericks. We also so have a great chance in beating the Spurs since we have their number in the regular season. The only two teams that has the edge against us are the Thunder and Clippers.

12. theREALDEALkid

I Think Dwight is Quick and Agile enough to play a sort of TJones Role Next to Asik. TJones meaning he's the more agile and energetic one of the two.

Yet, he could still post up and takes guys off the dribble and maybe even dump a quick hand off to Asik off a double team for an easy slam.

I think with only a few games left the Rockets should give it another Shot. Or maybe we'll be forced to in the first round of the playoffs against the Blazers.

Overall, I think Asik and Howard could compliment each other very well if they actually decided to work at it. Not to mention Dwight is undersized, but would dominate almost every if not every PF in the League. Asik is a rebounding and defensive force, them two together could reak havoc if they decided to work at it.

James Harden with a pick from Dwight on the Right and Asik on the Left, money all day. So many options. Then you could Have Jeremy coming off the Bench with TJones and they could really attack and run the floor.

I'm also in the Boast that thinks Canaan should start, and honestly I htink he could be an elite PG in this leage or at least a 17 and 8, the kid can flat out score and the passing will come with more opportunity to be on the floor. He's undersizzed but he's built, and very strong, he really is like a cannonball flying down the court.

Let's see some more Asik & Dwight McHale and really push the limits with out offense.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Name me at least 5 HOF coaches that changed their starting lineup because of a mismatch before the playoff's starts?

I remember a 60 win Dallas Maverick team trying to matchup against a 8 seeded Denver Nuggets team and got upset in the 1st round.

14. basketballholic

Name me 5 teams that have won a championship in the modern era of the NBA with their center and power forward both measuring shorter than 6'10".

On a more serious note...Pops will flip his lineup in a hot second if he feels like it will help him win a game or a series.

#154 basketballholic, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  15. dobro1229

Historically Howard's play has actually gotten way better in the playoffs so I don't think there is any indication Howard is going to do nothing to help the team win in the playoffs.

However if he's a no-show, sure. I think the Rockets might question the signing, but either way he was a big part of getting the Rockets to the playoffs in the first place & in the position they are in to get home court so in the end, Either way he's earning his money, and all evidence shows that he will continue to earn it in the playoffs.

Oh, and Dwight does a hell of alot more than dunk. Asik's great play & Howard's absence recently I think has people forgetting how much better he really is than Asik in the end.

If he doesn't show up, and the Rockets get bounced in the first round, it won't be pissed off Rockets fans we have to worry about. The entire NBA media probably has "Dwight Chokes" articles queued up and ready to click send. There are alot of people out there rooting for Dwight to fail in the playoffs.

16. basketballholic

Hey I finally understand you now. You love Jones but hate Howard. No problem. I get it. ;)

17. Remii

Remii Member

You're speaking of Howard's playoff performance against Eastern Conference teams. His two playoff performances against western conference teams _ big difference.

But of course he's a big reason the Rockets are at where they are at this year but they don't hand out regular season trophies. He's going to be judged by what he does in the playoffs and he should be...

And I didn't mean all he can do is dunk literally.

18. Remii

Remii Member

That's a more logical argument for you to make besides that BS (+/-) stat you keep throwing out...

And me acknowledging that Howard doesn't have a consistent post game and can't play away from the basket has nothing to do with "hate" it's just the truth. But you keep denying it if you want...

19. basketballholic

No, can't deny that one. But he is a max player and he is worth it even with his limitations. Same thing with Harden's defense. But they do need the right combinations around them and there's much less room for error with them than there is for a guy like Lebron who can cover some not-so-ideal lineups with his versatility.

20. dobro1229

Umm... He's been in the Western Conference how long? 1 year, and playing injured. Are we really judging him because of that one year in LA when he has 5 other years to go back on for reference material when he was also healthy?

Your right that he will be judged by the playoffs, and if he is disappointing the narrative is going to come down on his head just like it did on Lebron in Miami his first year there.

Actually they do hand out plenty of regular season trophies that count. MVP's DPOY awards, 6th man awards, 1st team all NBA, All Star awards, Hall of Fame induction (technically after the regular season or any season), etc. Most of those actually do come with physical trophies too.

Dwight has plenty of trophies from the regular season, and he even has accolades for the post season (making it to the finals as the only star on your team is an accolade... ask Iverson, Miller, and Barkley).

For some reason the narrative with great players during their career is "but they dont have a ring". However afterwards, its a completely different story. Dwight will be remembered as a great player regardless, but getting great playoff success and a potential ring is the validation he needs just to shut people up.

Dwight has shown up in the past, and will MOST LIKELY play well in the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed, but there is a huge amount of data & evidence that suggests its WAY more likely that he produces well as opposed to completely flopping around, and laying over for the other team to beat the Rockets easily.