1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reconsider an Asik/Howard Lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Apr 7, 2014.

1. GranvilleWaders

Probably knee jerk but if we do indeed have a motivated and in shape Asik who has bought in a little bit..Could we try the twin towers again? I know I know..it was terrible early on.. but I just can't seem to let it go. Does anyone else think this way?

Because I am such a fan I sit here and think about roster lineups like I used to dream about driving a Suzuki Samurai when I was 13! :p

how about this TALL quick lineup?

Asik - maybe play off weak side
    Howard - Still run Post plays for him
    Tjones - I think he's quick enough to guard most SF
    Parsons - he already guards PG and G
    Harden - Bring the ball up?

please point out the flaws in this lineup because I know the collective will think of them.
    Probably too late to be playing with Lineups anyways

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Has to be matchup dependent. You're not going to put them together against teams like the Warriors, Mavs, or Thunder.

You can, however, utilize them in stretches against the Spurs (when they play Duncan/Splitter), the Grizzlies, and the Blazers (Asik has shown a decent ability to guard LA at times).

It also will depend on how the offense is functioning. Against sub-par defensive teams, they could get away with it... but any decent defensive team will gladly not guard Asik, and let the spacing issues stifle the offense by itself.

3. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Howard might be too selfish to let it happen. In the early games of the season with the TT experiment, Howard snatched up all the rebounds from Asiks hands and asserted his man dominance over him. He wanted to make it clear that Asik is going to always be playing behind him. But maybe he's changed because it looks like he's having fun now and being all buddy buddy with Asik

4. Convictedstupid

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it when we play Portland in the first round. Asik normally does a decent job on LMA.

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

offensive logjam? defensively you are going to get your bigs in foul trouble as you have a slow perimeter. You are banking on offensive rebounding with this line up, but it might be negated with a boat load of turnovers.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope, and expect, the two bigs will log time together in a match-up situation, or to force others to match up with TheGoodGuys.

I would not play TJo with Howard/Asik, however, as I would want three shooters on the court.

7. GranvilleWaders

I agree with this statement BUT my idea is based on a MOTIVATED and EXCITED Asik. I'm talking about the guy I've been watching who is dunking hard when left alone..running the floor on fast breaks..snagging Rebounds with one arm behind his back..moving WELL without the ball
    In that scenario..if you leave him..he would be free to at least crash the boards on any missed shots..

8. Classic

Classic Member

Maybe you can play them together @ POR & SAS if you play the 3-guard line up:

Asik
    D-Ho
    Harden
    Lin
    Bev

Switch everything on the perimeter but don't think that is a strong enough 3pt shooting line up to space floor.

If we had Adelman still, offensively he'd just put Asik on the high post.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Only teams that could work on are Memphis and SAS (only if they don't play small ball)

10. GranvilleWaders

How about in some situations this lineup?

Asik
    D-Ho
    Harden - shooter
    Canaan - shooter
    Bev/Lin - shhhhooter most times?

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No. The Rockets are almost unbeatable when T-Jones starts and scores in double figures. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

OP- I'm sure there are plenty of other threads at this very moment having this discussion.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=252697

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=251829&highlight=twin+towers

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=248604&highlight=twin+towers

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246360&highlight=twin+towers

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=248308&highlight=twin+towers

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246687&highlight=twin+towers

-The TT experiment didn't work out in the first few games of the season, and probably cost the Rockets a couple would be easy wins, but I think most people here & the coaches wouldn't mind exploring it both in practice, and in situational game-time match ups.

I dont think the coaches or the front office would advocate scrapping their rotation right now and risking chemistry and cohesion to start Asik right now though. Thats too risky a proposition when the team is steam rolling into the playoffs.

If the Rockets face Portland in the playoffs, I think we might see it a few times if the team has a lead, and they want to try and put Asik on LMA. However Robin Lopez isn't really much of an offensive threat so I still think McHale will opt to put Howard on LMA, and Jones on Lopez.

Maybe if Memphis and Houston face each other deep in the playoffs (very unlikely) the Rockets opt to use the TT in that series since the game will be very low scoring regardless, but I wouldn't count on it. There are just very few matchups in the NBA right now that warrant two true centers.

If the Rockets get some garbage minutes over the next few games sure, lets get the two of them in the game, and see if they can hold the fort down defensively, but I sure as hell don't expect to see a major rotation change at this point in the season leading into the playoffs.

13. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Pretty much dependent on which teams where we can specifically playing twin towers would benefit us on the court. Kind of like, (and I think I might be in the majority here) where we give Garcia a massive boost in minutes if we play OKC because he seems to play Durant pretty good.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed. Which means... we might need to consider using it again - ha.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No. The problem isn't on offense. Its on defense.

Both Howard and Asik sink in the middle defensively, and neither are capable of switching, and rotating out on shooters nor are the comfortable doing it even if you think they have the ability to do so.

Lin and Harden are two minus defenders who get burned all the time, and force rotations almost consistently. Go back and watch a game, and try to watch how often the PF has to show on screens and rotated onto perimeter players in the P&R. Both Howard and Asik sink in the paint instead of going out to the perimeter, and thats going to be confusing for them to figure out who switches and who doesn't, and go against their natural instincts to protect the paint.

If you are using the TT you almost need better perimeter defenders than you did without the TT when you could switch everything.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The whole point of the TT is to shut down everything and anything at the rim, along with grabbing every potential rebound.

Yes, if teams have a stretch 4 that one of these would have to consistently rotate on, it wouldn't work. (as your scenario explains).

It actually is to their advantage to use the TT with such poor perimeter containment... now they would/should funnel the offensive guys into the paint, where they'll meet tougher rim protection and rebounding than TJ or DMo can offer.

17. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

i think the Pelicans are more likely to reconsider an Asik for Anderson trade after seeing Asik go beast mode last night.

Asik would be the perfect compliment to Anthony Davis' outside inside game.

Anderson, one of the only 3 real stretch 4's left in the game.

Love, Dirk, Anderson.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Matchup dependent, but even then I'm not sure you don't just ride with the hot hand.

The troublesome aspect of TT was on the defensive end. Asik and Howard didn't know who needed to step out to guard the PF, so it lead to open 3s and mid-range shots.

The coaches haven't really given that lineup significant time since the beginning of the season, so I doubt we'll see much of it in the playoffs.

19. basketballholic

What you need around the Twin Towers is three of your best shooters. Jones does not qualify. Harden plus 2 other guys..take your pick depending on the opponent matchups but from between Parsons, Bev, Lin, Garcia, Canaan. Some combination of those guys at the 1,2,3. Casspi is a no-go in this lineup. He's a total negative defensively against any 1, 2, 3 in the league. So, put together 2 of Bev, Lin, Canaan, Garcia, Parsons around Howard, Asik, and Harden and you've got a winning combination.

20. basketballholic

This is the single greatest reason why the TT didn't do well early. Against the Clips for instance the matchups have to be Asik on Blake and Dwight on DeAndre, not the other way around, which is what we seen the first 2 game we played them. The other games we tried to run out somebody else (mostly Jones) on Blake and Blake just torched them. However, Blake would not could not torch Asik.....especially with Dwight laying in the weeds to double him at the rim on the rare occasion he could blow by Asik.