1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommend a Martial Arts Gyms or dojo

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gutter Snipe, Dec 16, 2005.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yes like many have said, Cobra Kia is the best dojo around.

[​IMG]

What do we study here?

THE WAY OF THE FIST SIR.

And what is that way?

STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.

I can't hear you.

STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR.

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

My brother went to Kim Soo for years. It was fantastic for him, and he learned a lot. Grandmaster Kim is very "hands-on", and involved in his schools.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I went to Kim Soo wayyyyyyyy back in the day..definently enjoyed it but couldn't keep going cause it was expensive and far out of the way at the time.

4. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Shaolin Kung Fu. mmmmmm. but consider your age.............mmmmmmm......

5. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

For something very different, look into tai chi...

http://chenstyletaichi.com

If you have any preconceived notions about tai chi being useless as self defense, you'd be surprised to see someone practicing Chen style tai chi. Chen style is very different... Compared to other styles, it's higher impact, with more kicking, punching, joint manipulation, throwing, and leaping... there's weapons training too. :cool:

It's also comparatively lower impact than a lot of other martial arts, so for an old-timer like you or me... the knees and joints don't take such a beating.

There are several school locations in Houston, and Cheng Jincai is one of the best Chen style teachers in the world... certainly the best in the US. Highly recommend it!

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a good call. There are under 20 true Shao Lin Monks teaching in the U.S. And Houston has at least one. At one point they had 2, but I don't know if they still do.

I took from the first Shao Lin monk in NY when I was there. It was one of the most amazing things I ever experienced.

I also used to take at Maing Yul Jung's Pa Qua Palm Kung-Fu. I think it is on Blalock not too far from I-10. Maybe close to Long Point, if that helps.

Anyway Master Jung is Korean but teaches Kung Fu. At one point he was the only non-Chinese recognized Kung Fu referee for the interational tournament. He will definitely improve your fitness and flexibility. Check them out and see what you like. Most places will let you watch a class or two, and nearly all will want to discuss their philosphy and your goals.

7. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I would recommend Judo since that's my sport but if you're worried about injury it might not be for you.

My advice is to visit a few schools and see how they run classes and what they do. Many schools will offer a free trial so you could try them and see if it fits you.

8. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

"hands-on", don't need him being "hands-on" with my daughter or son, sick b*stard.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

10. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

I'm sorry, but I will never consider it Shaolin Kung Fu if taught outside of Shaolin Temple in China, not just any Shaolin temple in China, but one and only, the one with over 1500 years of history.