1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recap: Denver sideline guy on Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 10, 2016.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

18 mill a year is considered as grossly underpaid?

Yeah..no.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/
    http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries
    http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/

I do stand corrected tho, he's in the top 15 paid QB's...my bad.

Out of the top 20 on that list, two names just don't belong and both teams are going nowhere fast.

I'll let you figure out which ones.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

For 3 years, people here have been complaining about how our cheap owner won't spend any money at the QB position, won't take a chance, goes with the status quo too often and is content with mediocrity because the season tickets are already sold, blah blah blah....

Now that we FINALLY address the QB position, spend some money, take a chance, etc.....people are saying we spent too much and are wanting to solve our long-standing QB problem by giving RG III the league minimum.

It's bizarre to me.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There were "better" options than a 25-year old former second round pick selected by the architect of the reigning Super Bowl champions who's been mentored by arguably the greatest quarterback of all-time? Really?...

Let me guess... RG3? Kaepernick?...

And the contract isn't setting the team back more than two years; appreciate that you can filter and react to news however you want - but please read up. The deal is frontloaded; it's essentially a two-year deal, after which the team can get out of it rather easily with cap savings to burn.

No they don't.Sam Bradford has been paid $70-somethingMM guaranteed during his six-year career.

Well, at least you're focused on the important stuff....

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

It's the effect of sports radio/skip bayless hot takeism...people don't follow a sport well enough to form their own reasonable reaction to any piece of news so they just regurgitate whatever "hot take" a radio host says as their own opinion.

1 person likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

I blame twitter and social medial. Kap has one good season...he is the greatest evvvver. Brady has 2 bad games....the game has passed him by.

and that hot take crap that the millennial hosts use is pure nonsense. if you need hot takes to run a show, they should go back to the east coast. hot take..sounds like something mcclain eats for snacks. :p

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

Peyton wasn't mentoring anyone...and that team won because of that Defense.

I was actually joking about the number....and heck no I didnt mean RG3 or Kaep...

I meant AJ McCarron or Jimmy G.

2 years, 3 years...whatever wasted time and money is wasted time and money however you spin it.

And yes, Bradford got over as well.....

The thirst is real nowadays, I guess...

Is what it as at this point.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.....BUT....

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a1Y73sPHKxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

You know for a fact that Peyton never once mentored Brock? I find that a little absurd.

What about AJ McCarron do you see that you'd be willing to commit the next 2-3 years to him?

9. liveguy

liveguy Member

I think McCarron has better upside than Brock and I think at least with him, a trade would have allowed for a full season audition, THEN a commitment if he showed worthy once his rookie deal was up.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not a Brockleader, but he definitely has more upside than McCarron. AJ doesn't have a good arm at all and isn't near the athlete that Osweiler is.

McCarron's upside is smart game manager.

I actually wouldn't mind him on my team with an elite defense, elite running game, etc, but he's definitely not a better prospect at this point.

11. Hey Now!

Setting aside you pretending to have any inside knowledge, PeePee doesn't have to be an active mentor; getting a front row seat each and every day for four years, watching Manning work the media, his team, his preparation: there's no substitute for that and you could see yesterday that Osweiler was absolutely taking notes.

And yes, the team won because of it's defense; a defense built by the same guy who invested a second round pick in Brock Osweiler and was expecting him to be the team's next QB.

Neither guy was available; certainly not for a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder. in an era where Ryan Fitzpatrick might very well make $18+MM/year, teams aren't going to give QB assets away.

And it's silly to think either guy is "better" - they're roughly the same: unproven back-ups with limited (in Jimmy G's case zero) NFL experience.

You're the only one spinning it; incorrectly, I might add. It's a front-loaded, two-year deal. If he's a bust, you're free and clear. If not, you have him for a bargain in years 3 and 4 and hold all the cards going forward.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

I actually live out here in Denver, so I have to (unfortunately) watch their games every Sunday during football season, but I just don't see this great athleticism people speak of when it comes to Brock.

I mean, yeah for a 6'8 dude he isn't a complete oaf, but he isn't Cam Newton either.

McCarron managed well last season because he was a rookie thrown in with training wheels on, so they didn't let him loose completely.

But I think he would have been a great fit with the Texans......

Oh well...

Again...I hope I'm wrong aboujt Brock, but I didnt see anything that made me "wow" about dude at all last season.

I still cant get over him being 6'8 and yet somehow gets his balls batted down a LOT.

13. Hey Now!

It's actually not a terribly difficult equation. At 6'8", he's (likely) throwing down to much smaller wide receivers. If he threw to his height, everything would sail. Just picture where is arm is as he's releasing the ball; it's probably why people perceive him to have awkward mechanics; he's having to r****d the motion so that his passes travel down.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He seems to have a slow release

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's not the way the nfl works. if you haven't or can't come to grips w that reality you're in for years and years of constant disappointment.

now run along.

16. liveguy

liveguy Member

Throwing down to receivers 5,10,15,40+ yds up field?

Naw, I honestly think it's his slow release, but maybe that can be fixed?

His pocket awareness is awesome....and by awesome, I mean atrocious.

Given he's definitely a good dude, and a team guy, in that aspect I like him, but as far as his overall game, never been a fan. Felt like Elway reached on him taking him in round 2 to begin with.

Again, I hope i'm wrong because a *few* times, I did see some pretty throws, but I also saw some God awful 'WTF?!' throws as well.

We shall see....

17. liveguy

liveguy Member

So trades don't happen in the NFL, ever?

Seems legit....

18. Hey Now!

He wasn't getting 40-yard passes knocked down at the line scrimmage; let's use some common sense. 5-10-yard passes? Absolutely. 15-yard passes? Very possible. Especially passes over the middle.

I'm not suggesting his size is the primary reason; but I think it's more hindrance than people realize. He's not throwing to Hakeem Olajuwon. Plus, keep in mind, defensive linemen are getting *bigger*; Watt is 6'5" and a freak athlete. Malik Jackson is that tall, too.

Finding spaces, using his eyes and head... those are things BOB can teach him.

19. Hey Now!

Why are the Bengals trading away a cheap asset you think can be an NFL starter?...

20. liveguy

liveguy Member

Dalton is the man there already, and McCarron will do nothing more than rot on the bench for the next couple years only to bounce when he's a FA, so if someone is willing to talk and it's worth it to them, I'm sure they will listen.