1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilding? Not anymore!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BuckeyeRocketFan, Oct 24, 2001.

Tags:
?

What stage do you think the rockets are in?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2001.
  1. Still rebuilding, no playoffs this year

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Getting playoff experience, any seed is OK just as long as we make it

43 vote(s)
    68.3%
  3. Good now. Anything less than a 6th seed and a first round victory will be a disappointment

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Championship contender. We should win it all this year!

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Well, I think the trade for Willis makes it official. We are no longer rebuilding. That stage is now done.

Willis was brought in for this year, to help us make the playoffs and to mentor the younger players. If you are rebuilding, you do not trade draft picks (even a 2nd rounder) for 39 year old dinosaurs, no matter how good they are. But you do if you are solid center play away from the playoffs.

I have talked about it before, but will reiterate it again. If the longterm plan is to work, we have to make the playoffs this year and get these guys some playoff experience. We'll be a first round exit more than likely, but if we make the playoffs, no matter what else happens or what our seed is, it is a successful year in the longterm franchise plan.

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

And do not be surprised if Willis ends his career in Houston.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree the addition of Willis gives us some considerable beef in the paint and makes our bench legitimate. There is no excuse not to make the play offs now and I think Rudy T and CD beleive that as well. It is time for the next step.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I disagree. I believe we need a center, still, to go deep into the playoffs. If Cato comes alive, develops good work habits, matures emotionally, and stays healthy, then perhaps. But we still need the center piece to the puzzle.

I agree, that adding Willis enables us to make the playoffs this year, and gives some valuable muscle and depth, but he's only a year or two solution. Playoff experience will be very valuable, and the guys should believe and do their absolute best to win it all, and get stoked about trying again the next year, but I don't think they are there yet.

Actually, adding Morris was an incredible addition this year. Griffin will probably be a superstar, which was a brilliant stroke of genius itself, but Morris has an all around game that will pull the team together, without him having to be a star.

Now, if Griffin matures into a 5, our rebuilding IS done. And I can't believe we found Torres. He really gives us the depth at guard we haven't had.

I'm hoping our team turns into:

Griffin/Cato/Collier
    Taylor/Thomas
    Morris/Langhi
    Mobely/Torres
    Francis/Norris

or even:

Griffin/Cato/Collier
    Morris/Taylor/Thomas
    Rice/(Morris)/Langhi
    Mobely/Torres
    Francis/Norris

5. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Yeah Baby! Bring on the playoffs! :mad:

;)

I guess the rebuilding is officially over. The next step is some internal strengthening (Cato's game, team defense, ......) and we're talking about a championship contender! :D

Rockets all the way in 2003! :cool:

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I agree that our rebuilding phase is over. We now must begin maturing into a contender team.

Willis gives us a short term solution. We still need to find a long term solution but any team has voids to fill but that doesn't mean they are rebuilding.

Cato or Griff could fill that void...sooner or later. Neither is there yet. But both are servicable right now plus we have Willis to give us the consistancy that the other two will inevitably suffer from and Willis is injury insurance.

Are we done rebuilding. YES
    Are there still weaknesses. YES
    Will more changes happen. YES

Our foundation is set. Now we must grow it.

7. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Willis was saying he wants to play 2 - 3 years more and that he feels like he is in his late 20's. He thinks he can put in 30 minutes a night and average 9 boards and 10 - 12 points. He also wants to help Cato become a dominant center. I'm hoping he'll do the same for Eddie.

We are done rebuilding except for the void behind Cato when Willis is gone. Next year would be a good one to pick up another young 5 to mature over a 2 year period and eventually replace Willis. :cool:

8. Villain81

Villain81 Member

There's all these good signs.. but i think people are getting a little carried away.. wait until a good team comes around to play us.. and if eddie can mature, but the team is looking better than after the Jackson meltdown..

9. tybrave

tybrave Member

i Agree we are going to the playoff:cool:rolleyes: