1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasons to hate San Antonio

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by codell, Oct 26, 2006.

1. updawg

updawg Member

Spurs are the worst reason.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i'm gonna say valero...

3. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

interesting...what's your brother's name? maybe i've met him at work, haha

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

San Antonio is such a sorry place I feel bad for people that live there. I went up again on business two weeks ago and couldn't wait to leave. A funny story (for everyone but me): I parked my rental car below a tree in the hotel parking lot. Nothing looked unusual when I parked at about 9:00 p.m. When I left to go on sales calls the next morning, every bird in town had dropped poop all over the car. Seriously, it must have been 300-400 birds! The stuff popped of the window when I made the mistake of lowering the window to do something. I blew 60-90 minutes of my time getting sweaty trying to stay clean at a self-serve carwash while getting the junk off the car. My wife and co-workers are still laughing at me.

A couple of years ago I had the misfortune of going to the riverwalk during a drought and it was royally gross. That memory has permanently skewered my view on the only thing positive about that little town.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Yes I too hate San Antonio. I prefer Fat Antonio considering it's ground zero far all things obese. You'd think that given their natural topagraphy (hills) and dry heat they would take a proactive approach in dealing with the high rate of diabetics. Houston has the worst weather and geography for outdoor excersie but everyday there are plenty of people, rain or shine, that bust their a$$es jogging through memorial/herman park. Not san antonians, they would much rather stuff their faces with refried beans and corn tortillas.

But the thing about Fat Antonio that bothers me the most, aside from the Spurs, is that never in all my travels have I seen such a bastardization of both the English and Spansih language. I don;t care which one you speak just don't conjugate both in the same sentence you effen r****ds. My 3 year old nephew, who I had the pleaure of taking to Sea World over the summer, corrected a (suprise) fat lady with a Spurs jersey that troka (truck) does not exsist in the spanish language and the correct word is camioneta.

Worse is that they add "Mi Hija/Hijo" at the begining of their sentences. So you can imagine the confusion when as we're headed for the Shamu Show someone yells "Mi hija get in line" and about a dozen little female butterballs turn around.

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Pat O'Brien's in downtown is a blast. That and the majestic theatre are highlights of downtown in SA.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

How does that work codell? I didn't think they had any offices outside of SA.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I first went to San Antonio in '95 and had a pretty good time. I was young and it was my first true road trip so I wasn't focused on finer points. All the good things seemed compacted into the downtown area. Did enjoy some of the restaurants there, the Mexican ones for sure. And I like the smelly Riverwalk and mall.

On subsequent visits years later I saw it more for what it is. Though there's some culture to it, everything outside the Riverwalk area I appreciated but still couldnt develop a real liking for. They got a lot of those roads that are named one thing then 2 miles later for the SAME road the name changes to something else, hated that! That's a common complaint of Houstonians who go to other places: the roads, highways and drivers sucking lol. Then the further you go out the city just gets flat broke lookin. There's probably decent areas but they surely didnt jump out. I just prefer a more metropolitan big city I suppose. Didnt have a problem with rude people. Did see the people who stood to shed some poundage though

9. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

1. Look who's talking, isn't Houston consistently in the top 3 for fattest city in America?

2. Have you been to the valley before? Most of the people there speak Spanglish.

3. What's up with the refried beans and corn tortillas remark? Uncalled for.

10. Fatty FatBastard

1: No, this year we were # 10, below S.A.

2: Spanglish will never be a language, vato.

3: Not a clue. I love both.

4: For a person that just joined, I congratulate you. But don't think we care about S.A. Chances are, we don't.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

They also have offices in Norfolk, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Sacramento and a couple of other places.

I am a resident field inspector in Houston (i.e. I work from home).

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

What dept do you work in? I was in HO the last 3 weeks for training. Was stuck in the OPs building the whole time.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We enjoy San Antonio.

The Riverwalk is cool, but the homegrowns are being replaced by chains, which will definitely hurt it. As for the smell, I never noticed it but they are preparing to clear out all the bats (the guano drops in the river).

We have season passes to Seaworld and Fiesta Texas. La Mansion (awesome food) and the Hill Country Hyatt (if you have young kids) ... rock. The kids also like the Witte museum...but the zoo is filthy and needs refurbishing.

14. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

I work as an IT Business Manager under EBO, and I was actually also in training all of last week for a business process engineering class. What exactly does a resident field inspector do?

I wish I had the freedom to work from home like you, that way I'd be back in Houston or Austin permanently and not have to make the drive every weekend. But seeing as I don't really have a choice but to work out of HO, I stick with hanging out with the other recent hires and avoid the riverwalk/buffets. In fact, of the 5 other new IT hires that started with me, 4 of them are from Houston, so you know they're alright from the get go. :)

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That was funny.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

the Hill Country Hyatt is pretty kickass... haven't been in awhile, though.

17. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Best company in America man...

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

All this complaints about the Riverwalks and how people there are rude, ect...

Here is a tip...the locals do not go to the River Walk for the same reason and b/c it is played out like it's name was Sega.

All the rude people on the River Walk are people from Houston, Dallas, and other tourist from wherever.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I had no idea there was so much hate for the city of SA. :)

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I've been there to visit a number of times, but only on Spring Break or July 4th...We always stay at Hyatt Hill country resort and it rocks (near Sea World)...

Having said that, when we do venture out to the riverwalk, SA is Hot and Humid, overpriced and yes, people don't know how to drive...The freeways are a joke too...There was this one Mexican food rest. that was famous near the riverwalk area...Can't remember the name, but it SUCKED and was way Overpriced...The line was out the door and we waited 45 minutes to eat there and was really disappointed...

I've only tried the nightlife once and man, there are some smokin' senoritas there...I'd go back, and for the right amount of money, I'd consider living there...

btw, Spurs suck azz...not as much as the Mavs...