1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistically, how many games does Yao play next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 30, 2010.

?

How many games for Yao next year?

1. 82 + (Reg. season/playoffs)

38 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 70-81

94 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 55-69

100 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. 41-54

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Less than 41

27 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

LOL, I agree with most of the things that you said but I have to say it is one of the most incoherent posts in the history of this bbs. :grin:

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I have a bet with six of my friends. I say Yao will play less then 20 games .

3. amaru

amaru Member

Isn't that foot still hurting Yao?

If so thats not good...... :(

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I would play Yao for 8 minutes a game until All-star break, then trade him for a rookie, an expiring contract, 2 first round draft picks, and a chicken rice stand.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Les and Morey are going to have to be very forceful about this. Yao playing more than 20 minutes a night, during the regular season, would be disastrous.

Regular season = up to 20 minutes
    Playoffs = up to 25 minutes
    Finals = up to 30 minutes

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what's "real" as of now? Was his surgery succesful? Was it a failure? Did he have a problem with rehab? Is he set to be ready from day one?

We hardly know anything since he's just getting into the significant part of the rehab, so it's nearly impossible to be realistic about this question.

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think is going to be like 60-65 in the season and 10-15 in the playoffs.

8. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Im typsie, im in nyc, n i love d rockets; wcf or bust! 60+ games for yao! Letst go!

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I see Yao playing 65-70 games. Early on, he should get days off frequently and less so later in the year. He'll probably get nicked up at some point in the season (most centers do). But all in all as long as he's healthy and playing close to 30 min by playoff time I'll be happy. By the time the playoffs start he'll be almost 2 full years removed from the surgery.

10. sidewider26

sidewider26 Member

--------------------------------------------

typical

u pathetic ...

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would be happy with him playing 55-65 games and the playoffs

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh, yeah his broken right knee in 2006? I mean I guess it wasn't "season ending" but he did miss 35 games.

Face it, the guy is injury prone and can't be counted on ever again. It's over.

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

play him no more than 30 mins and sit him on back to backs until late in the season if playoff positioning battles are crucial. take a cue from popovich, just get in the playoffs healthy, the parody in the west is so crazy, we are deep enough to contend and win on the road, we just need to be healthy when we get in the playoffs

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Again.... Ilgauskas misses half of the games in his first three years in Cleveland, had surgery, and proceeded to only miss 5-10 games on average for the next 7-8 seasons.

62 (still recovering from surgery), 81,81,78,78,78,73,65,64... and if you attribute the last two seasons to him being 35 years old... thats a pretty healthy string of 6 years right there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Yao play like that when he recovers. I think the real question is how he will perform.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Minutes down. Games up.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

55 - 69.

He's not going to play alot of back to back and I doubt he will start the season as a full time starter.

17. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Going back to the Ilgauskus example, he WAS relatively healthy, but it's worth mentioning he basically averaged 30 minutes a game for the rest of his career and that first season it was only 21.

18. amaru

amaru Member

We all know this, but let me just say it.

Big Z went through a similar surgery, but Yao isn't Big Z. Just because Big Z recovered, doesn't mean that Yao will have a meaningful recovery.

To be honest we have no idea what he'll look like. But I don't see him being any more durable than he has been over the past 3-4 years. If anything he'll probably be even more fragile.

When big guys start have problems w/ lower extremities, it gets ugly.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You can compare to Yao to Big Z on one hand.

On another hand, you can't because they are two totally different body structures.

Yao could come back and not show anything, but rust in his game at best, while he could come back and re-injure the same foot, which would mean the end of his career.

We'll get a good measure of what he can do during training and full blown practices.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Doesn't ****ing matter.

All Yao needs to do is play 30+ mpg at his usual level in the PLAYOFFS next year. And it will be well worth his paycheck. I hope they go the Shaq route of basically rehabbing until the all-stars game, and just come back for the stretch run. Especially if we don't get a big like Bosh.

In this case, the regular season simply doesn't matter. If the Rockets can't get into the playoffs without Yao playing a lot, then they aren't going to win the championship anyway with Yao. So might as well get some ping pong balls again.