1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic window of opportunity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 15, 2015.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As long as we have Harden, we will have a chance to attract other star players.

Currently, our title window lies with Howard's health, though.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. If harden keep this up, I would imagine there will be a semi continuos flow of other good to great players who will want to join up.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Hear, hear. It would have been nice to have gone for it in Dwight's first year here instead of continuing to pursue 'flexibility'. Even this year, Daryl didn't decide it was time to win now until Harden started playing like an MVP. The time to commit to winning now is in the off-season, not the regular season. I completely agree with your last sentence (that means yes, I'm a Morey fan).

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is what all of us were saying last year...you never know what injuries etc might pop up. When you had two players that were the best at their respective position there is no excuse for lollygagging around .

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We are winning 0 championships that way. Not even close.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Harden doesn't strike me as the player who's going to leave this franchise. (barring some internal conflict or knock on wood - a disastrous couple of years)

Houston embraced him.

Houston believed in him when no other team did.

Houston was not afraid to pay him what he wanted.

Houston will do that all over again when the time comes to talk business.

You can't say Houston has not done a whole lot or trying to get Harden help.

I firmly am in the camp that believes we have a good a chance as any of getting Durant from OKC - these two love each other. And Harden isn't walking through that OKC office door again.

If Harden does not bring a championship to Houston - he is firmly on his path to being at worst - the third greatest Rocket of all time.

He knows this city is his. He knows this city is the one which let him conquer the NBA.

EDIT: I realised I didn't answer the question.
    So while it seems our window of opportunity is small because Dwight only has a couple of years left - I honestly think this team is destined for bigger and better things once Dwight's contract is off the book and we can spend those millions on getting talent which truly meshes with Harden's game. (or get a player who knows his role and plays it to perfection) So my answer is as long as we have Harden - we have a chance.

7. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I don't get the whole being patient idea.. Isn't being patient for rebuilding teams? I think, if we don't start shooting for the moon.. by the end of next year, our window will be closed.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

Harden is getting his extension as soon as Dwight contract is done

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Did you miss last summer?

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Please explain it to me.

11. baubo

baubo Member

If Howard's done, we're screwed for this season and the next, but can recover for 2016 as Howard will be an expiring (assuming he picks up his PO), and the cap will rise so high some team like Philly will take Howard as a salary dump for a pick or two.

If Howard's not done, the Rockets will have a continuous contending window for as long as nothing catastrophic happen to Harden.

12. baubo

baubo Member

Harden is under contract until 2018. That's 3+ seasons. Stop being a drama queen.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Harden/Howard era has two maybe three years to win.

Harden keeps us relevant for a long time though. He isn't going anywhere.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All we needed was a damn simple pg. Stop this fascination with a stretch 4 crap and trying to invent some basketball philosophy. Bev made it clear they dont want a pg running the show this skills challenege. Bledose or Lowry is who I wanted this fail season. Kevin Love the perfect p***y 4, are we going to go after that too? Yes im a Morey fan too.

1 person likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There's a lot of good sense in your post, but the window in a league like this always has shifting boundaries based on the other teams. As loaded as everyone says the West is again, every team has some issues.

Even the hyped Warriors have shown some vulnerability recently and nobody knows how they'll play during the grind of the playoffs, especially if Bogut and/or Iggy aren't healthy.

We have a long, scrappy team and if we make one significant upgrade I would give us a puncher's chance against most other playoff-bound teams. (Well... give or take McHale guiding a 7-game series. Maybe just nevermind my entire post here. Ugh.)

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

OKC has shown everyone that a window can close quickly... Now it's like they starting uphill again (in terms of the top tier Western Conference contenders)

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Preach!!!.. So sick of this stretch 4 garbage... That's all we've getting the last 10+ years.... Mo Taylor clones

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another spot on Progs post.