1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic trade proposal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, May 20, 2002.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

After reading several articles, and literally hundreds of posts on the pros and cons of Yao Ming, I just dont see the proof that he is the real deal who can lead us to the promiseland.

The cons outweigh the pros on this guy to me:

1. Chinese govt. and all of their restrictions.
    2. Language barrier.
    3. Lanky 7 foot body reminiscent of Rik Smits/Shawn Bradley (not exactly all-star material).
    4. Doesnt like to lift weights = won't bulk up (I read this somewhere).
    5. Not very physical (shoots layups/finger rolls) = getting beat up down low.
    6. Will take time to develop and adjust to the NBA level.
    7. Has only played in the Chinese leagues (not exactly tough competition).

We all know how badly NY, the Chinese, David Stern, and the rest of the world want Yao Ming to be a Knick, so here is my trade proposal:

Houston trades: #1 pick in the draft.

New York trades: Marcus Camby and the #7 pick in the draft

Translation: NY and everyone else gets what they want..... Yao Ming in a huge media market.

The Rox get a proven, physical 10/10 man that can play the 5, and draft the best available SF at #7 (Butler,Dunleavy,Woods,Tikishiolvosk).

Only thing that would hurt the deal would be the cap restrictions on Camby I think......

2. AgentPenguin

AgentPenguin Member

We dont need another guy that keeps getting injured

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No thanks. I am pretty sure we could get a lot more than No. 7 and injury-prone Mr. Camby.

4. GranvilleWaders

This trade is not enough..here's why:

Camby is injury prone

Others teams WILL offer more

it's amazing to get the # 1 pick..but even more so this year because of the depth of the draft

several teams will really want Ming or Williams and they will decide to pay for it..so on paper your deal may sound good but it is a matter of supply and demand...the Rockets have the supply and the other teams have demand..so the value of the pick will be inflated and who knows what could happen..it will be like a bidding war and we can just sit back and watch it happen..definitley more than you proposed..

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I didnt realize that Camby was injury prone. He is pretty young though......

So what Knick(s) would you take (including the #7 pick from NY of course) for the #1 from the Rox???

6. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

A lot of posters seem to want to sell our No.1 pick cheap.

I remember few years back when Golden State swaped their No.3 (Penny Hardaway) with Orlando's No.1 (Chris Webber). I believe G.S had to compensate Orlando by sending 3 future first round picks.

I know it is a differenct draft but No.1 is very valuable and you listen to all the bidders and take the best. If not we will keep the pick.

#6 COMPAQ CENTER, May 20, 2002
    Last edited: May 20, 2002
  7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

"Pardon the interruption" brought up a hypothetical trade like that, the #1 pick (assuming Ming) for the #3 and Jamison. I wouldn't surprise me if Golden State offer their #3 pick and something else for the chance to get Ming, or even better J-Will since they need a PG.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

RocksMillennium - that trade was brought up before HERE - and I still think it sucks because we would be selling our No. 1 cheap. Jamison is not the answer. He is more of a four than a three and we already have 3 pretty good 3/4 tweeners in Griffin, Taylor, KT. I'd rather take a risk and draft Yao if I cannot get a true franchise player like Garnett, Duncan or Nowitzki. Jamison is not a franchise player - a No. 1 pick should have the potential to be one.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

In a scenerio like that you're getting the #3 pick which is bad at all! Jamison is a star, and getting a star and a #3 pick isn't shabby at all! Especially since Griffin has hinted at wanting to play SF.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

11. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I'm not that big on Jamsion, either....so, how far do you think the Rockets could move up if they made that trade with Golden State and then packaged Jamison with their 15th pick? If we did that we could get our legit SF at #3 (Dunleavy, Woods, Butler, etc.) and then try to land a big guy with whatever pick we get by packaging #15 + Jamison. Just a thought...

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Camby is a very good PF, not C. That deal would only make sense if we could also draft Borchardt or Marcus, along with a top SF. If we ask Camby to play center, he'll end up playing 30 games per year.

Overall, I think we could get something better.

13. jev6515

jev6515 Member

how about this...we send the #1, #15 Kelvin Cato and Kenny Thomas to the Clippers for #8, #12, Lamar Odom and Michael Olawakandi. LA can steal tv ratings and fans away from the Lakers and just might be desperate enough to do so. I only mention this because I don't want the Rox to be left out and getting screwed when the chinese gov't tells this kid he can't play overseas and needs to return home. We'll get the size and rebounding we need plus Butler or Woods would be available at #8.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

not to mention the time he'll need to take off to go back to China for the national team commitments, etc... leaving his American team high and dry...

16. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

I read this also...MING HATES TO LIFT WEIGHTS!!

All hes gonna be is a lanky freak throwing up 3 PTRS!!!

17. lpbman

lpbman Member