1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Realignment] Astros to the AL?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Preston27, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

If this happens I really hope they eliminate the DH. It would also really suck to lose the rivalries that have been built up over the years.

2. msn

msn Member

Hell. No.

That is all.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I think sending the Brewers back to the AL would be the best option if this were to occur.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The biggest problem with that kind of move is that you'd always have to have an interleague series going on (or giving a team in each league 3 days off in a row) and MLB hasn't been hot on that idea in the past. That's one of the main reasons for the 16/14 split. There's an even number in each league so that teams will always have a team from their league to match up against.

Anyway, I'd rather stay in the NL. Send the Brewers back to the AL.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This.

6. The Situation

The Situation Member

That makes no sense, send the Cubs to the AL. BTW, you would have inter-league play every week of the season

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What firey all exciting rivalries would be lost? :confused:

IMHO 'stros to AL if ownership wants to. And they might, Yanks/RedSox/Rangers sound like good draws...

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros are the worst team in the NL right now already. Imagine if they played in the AL LOL.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
    On the Astros: Keep in mind they are going through ownership change, which means MLB could make shift a condition of approval, if it wanted.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
    Some executives really want to change the imbalance of opportunity for teams in 6-team NL Central and 4-team AL West, for example

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
    If they go to two 15-team leagues and no divisions, then the top 5 seeds in each league would make playoffs. No div. imbalance, as now.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
    Three sources say talks are serious--especially given union's willingness to realign to 15-team leagues.1 source:"It could gather momentum,"

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
    Following up on earlier realignment story: Some sources say Astros a natural fit to switch leagues, because of Ranger rivalry.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I seem to remember in the recent past pretty good rivalries with St. Louis and Chicago. I, and many others, have considered the Braves a rival for a long time. I don't consider the Rangers a rival, regardless of that stupid cup they play for.

The DH is an abomination and I don't want to see the Astros with it regularly. Plus, I'd rather not have a bunch of west coast start times again. I still remember the days of playing at the Dodgers, Giants, and Padres and never seeing the end of a game.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'd actually enjoy being in the AL more. More games against the Rangers + we get to play the Yankees/Red Sox.

1 person likes this.
  13. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

What's next? The Astros are going to have cheerleaders, Astros Power Dancers (APD)

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I could be on board with this for this reason too. Management will see more games with the Yanks and Sox as pretty sure sell outs. I like others though want to see the DH gone. It will give Houstonians another reason to dislike Dallas (not that they need any).

15. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I hate to be a purist but if this happened I'm not sure I could watch them anymore, I cannot stand the DH. I'd watch more Braves baseball.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Yanks and Sox would be in once a year. Big deal. Granted, there are no NL teams that draw right now like those 2 do on the road. But it's not like the Astros are moving to the AL East where the Sox and Yanks would be in 3 times a season. It would barely make a dent in the yearly attendance.

17. E-Man

E-Man Member

Astros to the AL? LOL! They would be the worst team in the AL for ages!!!:rolleyes:

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

what a bull**** copout of a reason to make us the odd man out.

why not send the cards to the AL for their equally-contrived rivalry with the royals?

what about the mets and yankees? cubs and white sox?

this is utter horse****. that is more than speculation, i guarantee it. if they realign, we WILL be the team that moves.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Do not want.

I've never understood the DH. Why have half the league on different standards than the rest of the league? Just keep the playing field even like all other sports...create a salary cap, eliminate the DH.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hell no. We would have more west coast games in the AL west, and with a team/city that is too young to have any real historical nostalgia, why radically change the oldest team in Houston and basically abandoning their NL history.