1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RealGM: Hedo signs with Magic 6yr, 39M

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

RealGM: Hedo signs offer sheet with Magic 6yr, 39M

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap.php#1089227736

Hedo Turkoglu signs offer sheet with Magic
    Added: 7th July, 2004 3:15 PM ET
    RealGM exclusive: by Jonathan Givony: 3:14 PM

Reliable sources have confirmed today that Hedo Turkoglu has signed an offer sheet with the Orlando Magic. Turkoglu is a restricted free agent whose rights are owned by the San Antonio Spurs and they will have until July 29th to match. The offer is believed to be for Orlando's full mid-level exception for the available maximum 6 years, in the area of 39 million dollars.

#1 Deuce, Jul 7, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I hope S.A. bites, cause if not Weisbrod has just proven himself within 2 weeks to be the most ignorant GM in all sports.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My guess is if SA loses Hedo (they wont be crushed) and will look to lock up Stephen Jackson. I think they want him more anyway. He was proven for them during their championship drive.

As for Orlando. They are desperately looking for a small forward. I guess Hedo was the best they could get on the open market.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

NO HEDON'T! HEDON'T!

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

What is with the length of these contracts?

Has there been a contract signed for less than 6 years. Will this be a new trend or something.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Damn, is he worth that?

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Wow! That's almost Adonal Foyle money!

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Unless you have a star player, just say "no" to contracts past 4 years. Those 5,6,7 year deals for ROLE players are killers!

9. blosum

blosum Contributing Member

Also from RealGM, Denver is offering Manu six-year contract starting at 9 mil :eek:

10. blosum

blosum Contributing Member

If Spurs lose both Hedo and Manu, I could see them going aggressively
    after Barry:(

11. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

I hope the Nuggets continue to move in on Manu...if they tie their money up in limbo it gives the Jazz a better chance at getting Martin.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

SA has always been great at cap management. If they won't match ridiculous offers that being given to Ginobili and Hedo, I don't think they'll sign a 32yr old Barry for more than what the Rockets offer. They don't need Barry's PG skills since they have Parker, so they can surely find better SG/SF for less money, ala Stephen Jackson. And I'm sure there are other better bargains.

The only reason the Rockets care less about overpaying for Barry is because they're capped out anyway, and will likely be so in the forseeable future.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

even if manu and hedo leaves the spurs can just make a run at Q Richardson. Hedo peaked last year IMO. That 3pt % is pretty questionable since he was never that great of a 3pt shooter in Sac Town.

Spurs can just cough up money for Q and bring back Stephen Jackson and they'll be fine.

14. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Maybe it is time to target Fisher instead of Barry. Spurs will lose two guys and have a lot of cap space to get Barry.

15. Bookit

Bookit Member

Sean, nobody here likes the Jazz. :D

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

let them waste money and cap space. CD, don't get into it.

17. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Another "I don't get it."

Turkeyglue is overrated up the kazoo.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

Ya, Hedo is overrated. And to think Boki was to be the next Hedo.

Anyway, since the Lux tax is not expected to be in play next year I guess its time for salaries/salary cap to expand rapidly. I read the cap is supposed to be around 49M which is a 14% increase off of last years 43M. And to think in 84/85 it was 3.6M, 94/95 16M a 344% increase. If it is 49M this year then that is a 206% increase from 10 years ago.

Imagine in another 9 years (2 more years on Yao's contract + 7 years max extension) Yao will be 32 and could be looking for max money. Even at just 100% growth in the cap (98M) Yao could be wanting/expecting 34M (35% of cap) with 12.5% raises this comes to 161M over 4 years. Talk about insane. But by then ticket prices will be $49.99 for nose-bleed and $295 for lower level.

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

so i guess Hill is not coming back then... seems a strange move if Hill and the Magic are convinced he will play again