1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM] Dwight Howard Regains Commanding Locker Room Voice With Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipa, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ipa

ipa Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/articl...ins-Commanding-Locker-Room-Voice-With-Rockets

1 person likes this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

Nice to see Howard being a leader. I admit I was very concerned when we signed him that his back could cause problems or he could still have "Dwightmarish" tendencies but he has been a model citizen so far and I applaud him for it. His back seems to be healthy too. I hope he stays happy and we avoid a "Dwightmare" on the back end of his contract.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

During this win streak Rockets look like a completely different team. This must be that "push" Dwight was talking about... You know what the means though: They were definitely loafing it in the beginning! Truly terrible basketball was played during the beginning of the season. shockingly bad ball.

4. PeppermintCandy

I was a big skeptic too, but Howard has been proving me wrong all year. One of the most consistent players on the roster right now, and it sounds like he's taken his leadership role to heart as well.

5. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

They still are playing bad ball in spurts now. Our leads are always evaporating.

But hey, at least they can hold on for the win.

6. FeaR

FeaR Member

Entry passes and communication has improved a lot, also in his last game Dwight had 5 Assists.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I really love all the feel-good Dwight stories coming out of the media now a days. It's like they got tired of writing about the Dwightmare and have reversed course.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly

9. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Dwight will lead us to the promised land

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Dwert pls...

1 person likes this.
  11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Ever since James sat out those two games, the team has totally been Howard's. As it should be if this team wants to complete for championships in the future.

Harden is a fantastic player but when the season started, it was obvious he was pushing too hard to be a clear cut number 1 option. I think this is what Dwight was talking about with players wanting to accomplish individual accolades. But if James continued to push to be the number 1 option, this team is doom for failure.

This isn't a knock on Harden at all, but on this team, he doesn't need and shouldn't be the number one option. In order for this Rockets team to be successful they are going to need Howard and Harden to both be number 1 options almost equally. A two headed monster and not a hero and sidekick tandem. And I applaud Harden for taking a few steps back and allowing Howard to get more touches ever since he came back from injury. And for Howard having patience to see this team grow. He has been everything good for us since he signed.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Every team give up big leads. The game is all about runs and who has the last run in them. Just like u stated, we still won because we had the final run to seal the deal.

13. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Howard > Harden for championship chances. Not even close. Harden is a first or second round exit, howard will take you to the final dance.

14. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Good for Dwight and for the team! finally someone stepping up to be a proper leader for the team!

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Same team bro.

1 person likes this.
  16. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

The inverse is also true... Howard isn't a proven champion, and both guys will need to be at their peaks throughout the playoffs to even have a chance for a title this season.

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no it means, it takes time for the team to click when adding new players

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But they're building big leads the way they were doing earlier in the season which not coincidentally is that last time they won 5 in a row. At least now we don't see them come out and struggle against even the crappy teams. They've only had one truly bad overall game recently and that was at Memphis(OKC was horrible, but only one half).

19. quatin

quatin Member

Stop being so defensive.

This is a fair analysis. The first month of the season, Howard wasn't getting any touches. It looked like we upgraded Asik with Howard and stuck with the same game plan with Harden largely driving the plays and the front court cleaning up the misses. We already know from last season where this type of system will go, a first round exit.

This past month, we've seen Howard dominating the game instead of Harden. His FGAs have gone up. We see more inside out plays. This is a more consistent playing style than jacking up 3s, because it's been proven that running & 3s won't carry you far in the playoffs.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Both OKC games were awful, the start of the LAL game was bad, and one of the games at SAC was pretty bad.

Sure it's good we can hold on better to leads now but we can't just caugh up a lead to a crappy team, we need to take care of business just like most elite teams do early and put them away by the start/middle of the fourth quarter.