1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Real Talk] Why is Houston so Ugly?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait to move to Rivercrest. It's the 2nd most expensive zip code in the state. Plus I'll be neighbors with Yao Ming! :cool:

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Houston just doesn't have that "it" factor going for it. It'll always be home for me, but I'm not fond of the culture and the scene in general at all. I guess I'm more of a vibrant city type, and even inside the loop I don't believe I can get that the same way as other cities around the U.S.

Still Houston has plenty going for it, and it's in a great spot economically right now so you're going to have a lot of people from other places moving here. It's a great city to start a family.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its not in a great place economically right now. Detroit is booming and Houston is busting at the current moment.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Such as where?

I have lived a great number of places in the US and in Europe. Houston's weather is better than Chicago's where it is snowing from November to May. Traffic isn't as bad as LA or Chicago or even parts of Dallas and the economy and affordability are amazing. People in Texas, and especially do not realize how strong the economy is.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh no.... It is a great place economically and when was the last time you were in Detroit? There has been some investment in the city and some artists/craftsmen that have settle ..... But the city is in a terrible financial system and real estate costs little.

Nice try.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why are so many recruiters contacting me for jobs there? The auto industry is counter cyclical to the oil industry. However you seem to be know it all.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uMK0prafzw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Cleveland is where it's at. LerBon brought back their economy.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just like the Rockets, Houston is under-rated.

Having said that I live in midtown and it's ok. I wouldn't say great compared to other cities.

I imagine if you go to the South East side where REEKO resides (;)) it turns into a slump with an overly obese population. So those that fly into Houston to Hobby Airport for their (or even IAH for that matter) first visit to this City see pretty much garbage for miles and miles.

First impressions count.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I recently had a few recruiters contact me for jobs in Houston. I'm not even looking; they've just been reaching out.

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Lol same here.

I was born and raised here. Lived in Chicago for a few years and enjoyed it but I prefer Houston

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Hate on the concrete, the distances, and the fat people all you want, but I'll be damned if you say Houston has bad weather!

January 62/41
    February 67/44
    March 73/51
    April 79/57
    May 86/66
    June 91/72
    July 94/74
    August 94/73
    September 89/68
    October 82/59
    November 72/50
    December 65/43

13. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

The only reason why Houston isn't as pretty as some claim is because we don't have the mountains in the background as you drive thru the city. Drive thru LA and it's about as ugly as Houston, but with nice pretty mountains. The landscape and geography gives a city its allure, if you will. And we don't have that.

#73 BrieflySpeaking, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Without all the transients, Discovery Green is breathtaking.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Where does the unGodly humidity factor in there? :eek:

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't get the 'bad weather' thing. People move here because of the weather.

And the traffic...it's not nearly as bad as most other big cities. Just because there's rush hour traffic every morning doesn't automatically mean it's the worst in the country. Ever been to California? If Houston was in California, it would have the 5th worst traffic in the state.

The Allen Parkway/Buffalo Bayou transformation is stunning. And it's not even done yet. Downtown is ugly but that's just because of the CONSTANT construction. When and if they ever finish everything, it will be so much better. I just wonder if they ever will.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Summer sucks, but 90% of the rest of the country would kill for the other seven months.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Don't worry, I heard Monty Galland is on the case!

19. Nook

Nook Member

I am not a "know it all", I just have had to spend time in Detroit off and on over the last 12 years. Is the economy better in Detroit than 4-5 years ago? Yes, marginally so. However, Detroit is by no means a better economic market than Houston or a number of other places.

Personally I hope that Detroit becomes a viable city again, at one point it was one of the top places in America to live. However if you spend much time in the city of Detroit you wouldn't feel it was a healthy place to live long term or that the economy was doing well.

20. Cranberry_Juice

So your parents are moving there then?