1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Talk: If Warriors win title, put an asterisk next to it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Jun 5, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nope. Its not GSW's fault opponents can't stay healthy, they beat like 4 teams in 7 game series so I think if they win it is legit. Plus GSW also had the best record all season long so its not like them winning a ring is unexpected.

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Why are people even comparing our titles to the Warriors?

People are saying the Warriors have an asterisk because they faced injury-riddled teams, which is true.
    They are saying we have an asterisk because we didn't face Jordan, which is only half-true.

In both cases, you have to play who's in front of you. However, Jordan was in the league one of the years and he didn't EVEN make it to the finals, so that's just bad logic (not to mention we had their number in the regular season). It's similar to those saying the Spurs would've beaten the Warriors this year. They couldn't even get past the Clippers, who couldn't get past us. These are two completely different scenarios. Stop comparing our titles to their potential one.

With that said, I wouldn't put an asterisk if they win, but I wouldn't call them one of the greatest teams ever because they never had to face a fully healthy team in the playoffs. They may have been the best team in the regular season, but crazier things have happened in the playoffs. They have had a truly lucky season this year, but I guess that's what happens when your franchise hasn't done anything in 40 years (sucks for Cleveland though). I just wish their players paid their dues. None have really have experienced losing in finals previously, or gone through long draughts of no success.

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not that I agree with the notion about the rockets second championship ring being tainted, but the Jordan that returned just before the playoffs was clearly not the Jordan everyone remembered. He was clearly rusty, not in game shape and not remotely close to his form.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You need to put an asterisk on every single championship team for the reason that all the other teams didn't have either the personnel or the opportunities or the luck to build a good enough team to beat them.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No.

Golden State has been preternaturally fortunate this season, particularly in avoiding injury while everyone else got smoked, but ultimately they have outclassed the rest of the league by such a wide margin it didn't really matter.

Were they fortunate? Sure. Were they excellent? Also sure. And that's what all great championship runs have.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Would be one of the most luckiest champions in nba history but no *

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He looked like Jordan to me when he dropped 55 in MSG vs the Knicks or hit the game-winner in Atlanta to beat the Hawks or led the Bulls to a 13-4 finish to the regular season(a nearly 63-win pace if prorated over the entire year) or beat the Hornets 3-1 in the first round.

Did he have some non-Jordan moments in the series against the Magic? Definitely. The end of Game 1 being the most glaring. But it's not like the dude played perfect every game prior to that even when the Bulls were winning their first 3 titles.

The real reason they lost that series to Orlando was because their supporting cast wasn't very good. They had no PF and were forced to start Kukoc. And Ron Harper was a free agent bust that season before remaking himself as a defensive stopper the following year. Even if somehow they had beaten the Magic, I don't think they would've made it past the Pacers and certainly not the Rockets.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Warriors should have an asterisk if they win because they didn't have Lin on their team.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

I may have the similar logic: if Warrior beat healthy Cav in 7 or if they have passed healthy Spurs, I would crown their title.
    They are so damn good, but how good they are, can they beat either of them ?

10. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Why post something so stupid?

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

They are extremely lucky. But they also deserve to win this championship if they win it.

12. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Having a stacked team helps a ton. If every team was as stacked, there would be much less injury to their starters. Gotta give props to Warriors management for creating this team.

13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

You could say that Stephen Curry has been through some issues in the past, mostly with his injured ankles and the franchise not being successfully the past few years despite having the same core, no?

14. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

NO! Because of all the crap Houston gets about winning when Jordan was playing baseball.

A ring is a ring

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Injuries could have happened to GSW too. If they were somehow exempt from injuries for the entire year (magic genie wish, deal with the devil, etc), then we can put an asterisk on this title.

Like another poster said, luck is a part of sports.

16. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

*No.

Hope I did not contradict myself. :grin:

17. ibm

ibm Member

a poll in this thread will probably work better.

but my answer to the question is no. no *.

luck is part of sports, or life for that matter.

and whether there should be an *,,, i really dont care. and i dont think too many care, nor should they.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

Warriors winning the championship this year will be one of the bigger surprises of the century.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Lucky Imo bc they rode the injury wave to a title.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Prob not, they were getting blown out, Curry falling actually changed the momentum in the Warriors' favor and the game was a lot closer afterwords.