1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Talk: Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a711, May 9, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Agreed.

But now that we're playing the big boys, Terrence is laying down again. Just like last year. His D is non-existent and he's weak on the boards.

That in turn leads to our perimeter guys sucking in to help with the rebounding. Which makes us even more susceptible in transition D.

Gotta control the defensive glass and get runouts. Then we can stay balanced in transition.

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I can't help it...

We are not going after Jimmy Butler, man.

He is untouchable in Chicago and he wants to be there. It doesn't matter that he's from Htown. Sorry.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

I will give you mad props about Terrence Jones. You called him out successfully. More people like me need to eat crow about him directly to you (as of right now, series not over of course). Accept my crow.

As Rockets fans, though, I am sure we both wish you were wrong however. :(

4. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I agree. Get DeAndre Jordan in foul trouble. Once the lane opens up the ballgame changes. Exploit exploit exploit!!!!!!!!!

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

DMo was good at hedging on the pnr, then he could go back to his man.

I don't know if it will work with Griffin, but surely not the straight-line drive where nobody reacts that we've been seeing so far.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Actually, that is incorrect. That was one of the weaknesses that had been plaguing him, and still is, to this day.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Live by the defense, die by the defense. The Rockets' over-reliance on defense is a mistake. When the defense isn't going into the hoop, the Rockets have no plan B.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Rockets first would have to start playing defense

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Well, we do have some renewed, sincere defensive effort coming I hope:

[rquoter]
    “They’re attacking us, we’re not getting back, we’re doing too much gambling defensively, we’re stabbing in the backcourt, we’re not getting back, we’re not getting matched up,” McHale said. “Too much gambling. Not enough just solid getting back, getting down in a stance and taking on the ball. The ball’s kind of going where it wants to go. We’re stabbing at halfcourt at it. Just a lot of basics that we’ve got to get back to doing better.”

Are the breakdowns because of the pressure of the playoffs?

“I don’t know,” McHale said. “We’ve just got to get better. There’s really no excuse for it. Stabbing in the backcourt, not getting back, not matching up, not stopping the ball – those are all things that we started working on the first day of training camp…. Everything’s got to be better, everything’s got to be more crisp, everything’s got to be precise and everything’s got to be more tied together.”
    [/rquoter]Link

I'm looking forward to seeing the return-to-fundamentals defense, they definitely need it. I hope this also means McHale has some ideas in mind for in game adjustments in different scenarios. I'd like to hear one of the Inside Trax of McHale reminding guys to crouch low, arms out, ball stop from in front of your man, etc etc fundamentals of defense

10. hakeemthagreat

The Rockets run on every play. They've done it all year being they don't run plays. They are probably tired on defense and have become lackadaisical. I TOLD GUYS this would happen without Bev before the injury but nobody listened because they were obsessed with Dragic. With Bev, it allowed Harden to not have to work on defense. Why? Because Ariza took the athletic wings & Bev took the quick guards. So Harden didn't need to do much on D. But NOW w/o Bev, Harden's required to play defense and his offense is inconsistent. Bev's true value to this team was never offense. But.....................I forgot hes garbage: rolleyes:

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i understand you dont want howard in foul trouble, but they do a **** ton of switching on picks/screens. either switch or go under it. and then there's the usual blow by.

we're missing our 3rd best defender and dmo is underrated on d, but the defense isnt suffering cuz of htat. i assume its the coaching staff telling the players to always go under or switch. since dwight is a huge part of the team you should definitely put that in the gameplan but dont rely on it all the time. u cant give the other team wide open looks when they're on fire.

i hpe they do soemthing, this game is do or die. really though, their refusal to change the rotation is worse then pple think. ariza isnt a 40mpg player and thats what he's been diong since he got here. brewer is having a good playoffs but only avg 25mpg. had they start brewer at pg, give him 30+mpg, and give kostas 5-10mpg, it would solve a lot of fatigue issues. you get terry comign off the bench which makes it easier for him to go off against 2nd unit, huge scoring spark potential.

12. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

this is the number offence in the league guys

13. a711

a711 Member

Be careful -that's 'Stats' and some people will get on you for posting about it.

14. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Member

oh the irony of rooting for moreys team.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the number offfense will always prevail against the primitive letter offenses of the nba. it's written in stone. literally, the georgia guidestones. it's there, read it!

1 person likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure about a number offense, but I had a Numbers offense when I used to go clubbing in Houston -- boy I guarantee!

17. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Replacing good defenders with bad defenders (in Terry's case, really bad) makes your defense worse. It's not surprising.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

We. Are. Mentally. Weak.

That's it. No two ways about it. The Grizzlies play physical a$$ D and get fouls. Do they let calls affect the intensity and focus?? NO!

What about the Rockets? We try hard until adversity hits. Then, we get passive, complain and get this childish scrunched up look on our faces....

JOSH SMITH... man the f up. Move your feet. Control your own destiny. Ignore referee calls. Instead, focus on YOU! Focus on what you need to do to get better during the game!

JAMES HARDEN... play like the GOAT you are!! Stop being scared and play like this is HS intramurals basketball.

For the love of Houston, please! I plead with you , Rockets, get focus and motivated and stay that way the ENTIRE game. Don't pout! Don't cry. Just PLAY BASKETBALL!!!!!

1 person likes this.