1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Rocket Fans Only: Ralph or Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Apr 19, 2020.

?

Ralph or Yao in the Time After Moses

1. Ralph

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Yao

62 vote(s)
    59.0%
  1. macan

macan Member

i still believe that we'd had won a ring or two if both T-mac and Yao were 100% healthy during that 22 winning streak season and the season with Ron Artest.
    so yeah, Yao is my pick.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not If you follow defensive ability, in which Yao was significantly more valuable than Ralph.

Smarter rotations = Quicker rotations... When healthy, truly one of the best defensive anchors in NBA history.
    But turned the ball over on the perimeter like he was 7-4...

3. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ralph Sampson PER for the Rockets: 17.1

Yao Ming PER for his entire career: 23.0

ALL the stats match the eye test. Real Rocket fans know about Ralph's limits. He wasn't Hakeem, he wasn't Moses, he wasn't Yao...

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And if David Stern didn't have that alleged sting operation on the Rockets in the 86-87 season for beating his beloved Lakers...?

5. lnchan

This comparison more than anything shows Hakeem > Francis/McGrady

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As much as I loved Yao, I have to give the edge to Ralph.

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's too many 'Ifs'

Ralph took us to the finals and when Dream was kicked out of the game vs the Lakers, Ralph stepped up and took us to the Finals.

I factor in that he did that against Kareem and Magic and defending champions.

macan likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Only Yao Ming didn't make the NBA Finals out of the names you mentioned

And when Dream was out of the game vs the Lakers, one player took over and took us to the Finals.

It was Ralph Sampson.

also the buzzer sounded like the buzzer back in the day

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. magichat281

magichat281 Member

I dont know man. I wasnt old enough to watch Ralph play or i wasnt into rockets then. Im only 37. You must be in your 40's .

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Yao would be a better 3pt shooter than Ralph. It'd be hard to predict what he could do if he wasn't exclusively positioned in the low post.

11. lnchan

36... I only have seen Ralph in highlights on YouTube...

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yo Josh Smith is dope too, until he got waxed by GSW. Doesn't mean he is better than Yao Ming, who jogged back on the floor completely broken against the soon to be champion LAL, repping the H.

Are we counting "making the finals" as a real accomplishment now? Come on son. Especially after our showing against Boston... (Ralph throwing up bricks and playing shoddy defense: .487 TS% :eek:)

Rodney was the 2nd best Houston Rocket in the FINALS... Not sure where Ralph disappeared to, but let's not re-write history and act like he showed up.

#72 RudyTBag, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  13. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

WUHAN CHINA!!!!

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean when Ralph Sampson got ejected for fighting?

you sure your remember? or did you not watch the entire game on youtube

15. tinman

Supporting Member

I heard the Leslie Virus causes championship trophies of the home city to disappear

Air Yordan likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Yao had issues getting rebounds vs that bad Utah Jazz team

can't say he can hold his own against McHale, Bird, and Parrish , the NBA champions

Let's not forgot Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Ralph had to face tougher competition in the playoffs then Memeh Okur
    @TheRealist137

#76 tinman, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  17. riko

riko Member

I never got to see Ralph play so I can’t pick anyone here

18. tinman

Supporting Member

But you saw how they stopped Yao ?
    They simply fronted him and nobody on our team could pass it to him

Ralph can ball handle like a point forward so he can create for himself

19. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

it's pretty tough to be objective about yao's true value given just how often he was injured. Even the one year during his era that we were favored to win the playoff series against the jazz, he seemed a level worse than the previous year.

Watching that jazz series, he definitely did not dominate okur the way we needed him to, and boozer gave him all kinds of fits on the other end (bad matchup). As mentioned, for being 7'6, yao's rebounding also was a little shoddy as his lack of athleticism really hurt him at times. That jazz series was a little crazy though because of him having to chase boozer and one of the first floor spacing 5s in okur. Even if the jazz did miss their 3's, rebounding long misses was naturally harder for a guy like yao who didn't have the agility or vertical to secure them. And on offense, as much as we love the chuck wagon, having him as our starting 4 severely limited yao's (and the team's) overall spacing. I wonder how much of all this was due to the lack of personnel we had or JVG's coaching decisions ...

All to say ... I think we really only saw yao's prime in that 2006 season before the 22 game winning streak, when he was averaging 25 &10 on a consistently dominant basis. Ever since then and post-injury, leading up to the Jazz series, he seemed like he was already exiting his prime and struggled with guys like okur.

I can only guess from the highlights I've seen of Ralph that he was a lot more nimble and laterally quick than yao. But I don't doubt his overall talent that he displayed against superior bigs in that day. Seemed like he ran the floor well and had the big man moves for a guy that was 7'3. I wish I got to see more of him and a young dream but ya. Who knows though ...

20. tinman

Supporting Member

it's impossible to recreate that 80s era now because the game is so different.

but as far as a modern center, he completely fits the bill now.

and a Rocket fan knows that beating the defending champ Lakers in 86 sent shockwaves through the league. no rocket team has taken down a team that good in the playoffs . Prime showtime Lakers > Utah Jazz with Boozer or Portland or Mavs of the yao era