1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real protest of a real problem: Women's Rights in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Apr 15, 2009.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

They wear them to be modest. Modesty is [or used to be] a major aspect of most major religions. If anything it shows that they aren't property. Like someone said though, not right to force them in Afghanistan to wear them, but nothing really wrong from it being a personal choice.

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Covering up should not represent oppression. But I see where you are coming from.....

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have been corrected on the subject, I was aware that these ladies are not oppressed, and are doing it for other reasons that they are perfectly ok with. I said I feel bad for them out of pure ignorance, and I apologize for making a horrible mistake.

I was just musing that it makes me think of the other alternatives where men make the rules and women are discredited as whores for speaking out.

I meant no disrespect.

4. twhy77

And there's nothing wrong with that at all. I was just thinking the modesty aspect is not one that gets talked about a lot, and is really important to a lot of Muslim women. It's just a different way of looking at the issue that gives me greater clarity into why what happens over there happens over there.

And I think there's some validity to your argument if you introduce another virtue to think about the issue, moderation. Modesty isn't bad, in fact it's really good. But by taking it to such an extreme, do you ignore moderation and thus do actually turn women into personal property. It's an interesting question at least.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Modesty certainly isn't bad. I'm just talking more about personal freedom standpoint than anything. I just think maybe a person should have the choice to dress how they please without fear of being put to death.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What kind of crazy insanity are you speaking about here? A person dressing like they want without fear of death?

I don't know what kind of dream world you live in.

1 person likes this.
  7. twhy77

I was thinking more about the girl's on UH's campus, but yeah, being put to death for not being modest sucks to.

8. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I can't imagine going through the kind of opression some people in this world live with. Makes most of our problems seem trivial.

By the way OP, nice racist opening line you have there, very Bassoesque.