1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Madrid Exercises Option On Rockets' Draftee Llull

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

What do you mean you don't get it?

They aren't ready to play in the NBA. They have potential to play. We don't waste a roster space (15 maximum), and they get to develop. If the fulfill their potential, we (since we are the only one with their rights) can bring them over.

This method brought in Manu and Scola.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I heard a top NBA Scout brake it down in a Baseball type way.

NBA - the Majors
    Euro League - AAA
    NCAA - AA-A

You play men in the Euro's not kids. They fight and have to deal with travel.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed. That is a good sign that one of the best competitive teams outside of the NBA really wants to keep him is a good thing. Hopefully he doesn't do something crazy and sign an extension with them or something two years from now if he is ready. It would be nice to see if we want to sign him in two years.

Also, by that time he may have made some real noise around the league someone may want to trade for him. Definitely a high upside type of player who is just now starting to see the light. Hopefully he continues to see it.

4. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

He needs to develope more. He wouldn't have played this year anyway.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Imagine that, and they still lost him for nothing... haha

In you face SA!

6. AXG

AXG Member

I think you can have a player's rights forever unless a team renounces it or signs him to a contract. The Rockets traded for Frederick Weiss'(sp) rights last season and he was drafted TEN years ago.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed that Sergio Llull being "stuck" in Europe for the next two seasons is all according to the Rockets' plans anyway. No big deal.

The one wrinkle that worries me, however, is this:

Real Madrid is among the major European powerhouse teams that has extended a contract offer to Ricky Rubio. If Rubio signs with Real Madrid, then Sergio Llull is likely going to be stuck playing mostly SG for at least the next year. I would much rather that he get as much experience as possible at the PG position. Also, a Rubio signing would likely push Llull further down the depth chart, significantly reducing his playing time altogether.

1 person likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Add me to the list of those saying it is no big deal and was expected. For those who think Morey may have made a mistake, you might consider that one of the top European teams just grabbed Llull for another 2 years. Why? Because they think he is very, very valuable to them on the court. That says to me that Morey made an excellent move getting him. He'll either come over in a year or two, more able to contribute immediately, or he'll be another valuable trade chip. Either way, we win, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  9. Asian Sensation

Stop it! You're making too much sense!

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very interesting take. Lets hope Rubio doesn't sign with them!

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

wtf? I thought we drafted a PG not a damn soccer player. What is Morey thinking. At least Sergio gets to play with Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka. Learn from the best.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And Hakeem Olajuwon's first sport was....?

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I think Real Madrid is their version of a basketball team.

They are not reffering to the soccer team.

14. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

Epic Fail at its best

15. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I don't get it. Whats the problem?

The Rockets still own his rights if he ever wants to come to the NBA, right?