1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Real expectations from Lin and the team after season starts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacky c, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jacky c

jacky c Member

I don't know if it's proper to start a thread like this. Whether it's locked or something, I trust the mods anyway.

I watched every preseason game so far. And also those post game interviews. Something I noticed were the plays and the comments by Jeremy. He was trying pretty hard to adapt to this young and talented new team. But he seemed not quite at the same page with the other teammates. I believe he's fully recovered. But what hindered him from performing at the Linsanity level somehow

- When Linsanity was born, every so called "mediocre" teammates like Walker, Novak, Fields, Jeffries, Shumpert, even Chandler and Amare they all witness a miracle and they all trust Lin to be the offensive dynamo and facilitator. Even with that amount of TOs. Actually, nobody cares cause for the first time after Melo joining the team, they can play, enjoy and win. That encouraged Lin to do "whatever it takes" to win the games. Being aggressive consistently, playing with instincts and not bothering to intentionally facilitate someone. As long as you open, you get the ball and we make them pay. Things kinda change later on with Woodson and Anthony in charge.

- We can't expect Lin to perform even 15+,6+ at the first 20/30 games when the season starts. Or we could easily get disappointed. Lin needs time to earn the respect from new teammates, he can't automatically get that because his fantastic 25 starts at NY. And his new teammates need time to understand their roles in the team as well. Thats why Lin get the ball but didn't quite get the energy or way to make the team better YET. When the team come as a group, fighting for each other in each possession like Linsanity period, then Rockets may live up to the expectations some may suggest( playoffs). The process may be hard to go through but faith is needed if it happened. Thats when team chemistry, spirits and coherence take part. The harder they go through, the stronger the team becomes.

I know I have put up some obvious and lengthy points and I really don't mind it's locked or something. But I really make an adjustment for the expectations for Lin and the team. I remembered the time Thunder got Durant and Westbrook but still playing at the bottom half. But of course, if McHale or Lin or others can pull off a great start, as fans, would be more than happy to cheer for.:grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. Puss In Booty

Puss In Booty Member

I would be happy enough with a year end avg of 12 & 7, but would welcome more.

3. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

Man, i support Mchale.

But i´m starting to think he doesn´t want stay with the team.

Dont saw him making any offensive strategies.

When Lin plays the infiltrations, there are always 2 sometimes 3 guys guarding him.

There are lot space for the rest of team...but there are any strategy...

Only plays with the C, Asik...

4. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

*there aren't any strategies.

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

aren't there like six other Jeremy Lin threads?

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

There shouldn't be a set of expectations for Lin AND the Rockets. Lin is a Rocket.

7. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

Nice post. I think yes there is an adjustment period for Lin and also for all his new team mates, but at the same time remember that this is the preseason and that the final team is not set yet, so it's hard to build that team chemistry when you don't even know the final roster. For example, the team cut Foggs (sp?) after the first preseason game, if you read his twitter he was so happy and excited saying how he loved this team right after that game, but the next day he was cut.

As we've seen though during the preseason that the rookies are very inexperienced and the vets also haven't been all that great, so yes expectations probably should be lower until we see what happens throughout the season.

8. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

No there shouldn't, but many Lin fans think he should be doing so much better and since he isn't they are very concerned, too concerned.

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Talking about turnovers. Very few people realize one of the 'secrets' of the OKC mode is their unique approach to turnovers. I remember reading an article mentioning that Presti prefers young stars to explore different things and learn through turnovers at the expense of short term disappointment.

Most people still criticize Westbrook's high TO rate even in last season, but the fact is Durant has more turnovers(and far less assists) than Lin last year when he's a top3 star in the league.

The only way to minimize mistakes is to not try, and there're plenty of 'safe' players in the league. Lin should play more relaxed to boost his overall production.

#9 haoafu, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Me, another concerned Lin fan. I bought witopia VPN to watch YouTube of Lin, I created a twitter to follow Lin, bought league pass to follow Lin. Being an expat here in Beijing (where YouTube and twitter is not permitted) following Lin is a costly endeavor. Then his preseason games are disappointingly non lin-like.

11. Jenopogi

And yeah, I'm on CF for the same reasons.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Do you think Lin to you is worth breaking the law?

13. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

LOL, I don't know what to say. I also bought league pass in the States. So yeah it's costly if you want to watch especially overseas, but we pay here also. At least we won two games, I'm all about the winning. :grin:

But at the end of the day, remember this is entertainment and really not all that serious.

14. Arthurprescott2

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/how-good-will-lin-be/

NYT off the dribble post looking at Lin's prospects from a purely statistical comparison perspective. Interesting look. Not sure what the methodology here. Instead of using age 23 as the base, maybe he should have used years in the league. Not sure if that would create an up-tick or down-tick in Lin's prospects though.

15. Jenopogi

It's not really breaking the law, as they just block it, not really unlawful. My friends uses VPN (albeit different purposes, also laker dudes). Just don't find the need before, until Lin came out. Since then.... Smh, what a disappointing performance so far.

16. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

What's really interesting is that I did a similar analysis and the players that turned up in mine are pretty much the same ones from his.

Also, I also did a regression analysis on historical stats, and the preliminary results are that based on Lin's 25 starts, had he played an entire season, with 95% confidence he would have ended up averaging per 36 minutes: 19.8±3.3 points, 8.3±1.6 assists, 4.8±0.9 turnovers and 2.1±0.6 steals on 45.0±4.3% shooting. In other words, the worst case would have been 16.5 points, 6.7 assists, 5.7 turnovers (lol), 1.5 steals on 40.7% shooting and the best case would have been 23.1 points, 9.9 assists, 3.9 turnovers, and 2.7 steals on 49.3% shooting. But obviously these two extremes would have been very unlikely, and it's more likely that it would be something in between. In the next few days, I'll publish my methodology and final results.

1 person likes this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So, let me get this straight....

You wanted to create a new Jeremy Lin thread to basically say that you shouldn't expect Linsanity type of production in the regular season, but he will get better as the season goes on???

Insightful stuff...6 Star thread.

Oh, and nice comparison to Kevin Durant and Westbrook.... TOTALLY SEE IT

18. Arthurprescott2

It's an interesting analysis but we don't actually know how accurate or even what kind of picture historical analysis like this gives us. The basic premise is "here are 10 players who have similar stats at similar points in their career; our player X should be somewhere along these lines." First, it gives us quite a broad range of careers that are affected in so many different ways that aren't based on normal development or even follow a development curve (personal problems, injuries, bad teams, wrong situation, etc.). If this kind of analysis is going to be used at all, people need to legitimize the method first by giving more examples like NYT piece did with Gasol/Curry (but we need more than 2). By tracking a large number of careers using this method we should be able to see if it works to give us a general sense or at least a defined range. I'm not convinced that this method is any better than a pure shot in the dark.

19. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

This is actually the best critique anyone's given me so far, so thanks dude. I'm gonna play around with other players, and so if you have any players in mind let me know. By the way, the stats it compares doesn't have to be limited to points, assists, and steals. It can analyze any of the main box score stats.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.