1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bernie Sanders is not going down quietly, as he has taken the lead in New Hampshire, according to the latest Franklin Pierce University-Boston Herald poll. Sanders leads with 29%, followed by Biden at 21% and Warren at 16%.

Poll: Sanders leads Democratic field in NH

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) leads the Democratic presidential field among New Hampshire primary voters in a Franklin Pierce University-Boston Herald poll released Wednesday. Sanders leads among likely Granite State primary voters with 29 percent, according to the survey, followed by former Vice President Joe Biden with 21 percent and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) with 17 percent.

The poll shows a wide gap between the three leading candidates and the rest of the field, with Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) in fourth place with 6 percent, followed by businessman Andrew Yang with 5 percent and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg with 4 percent.​

Of course all these polls are too early to be determinitive, but the degree of support that Sanders is continuing to get is interesting.

If Biden loses any of the first four states, that will have the effect as blood in the water in a shark infested region. Sanders winning in New Hampshire will whip up the 'Bernie Bros' into an absolute tizzy.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

I really hope you are getting something meaningful out of posting these things that nobody really cares about.

You are essentially talking to yourself.

Sad!

3. biff17

biff17 Member

Obama.

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sanders won the NH primary in '16 so the fact he's trailed in the polls in that state may be a little more surprising

biff17 likes this.
  5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Sanders did not have to split the far left vote with Pocahontas in 2016, the way that he is having to do this time around. If she was to drop out, Sanders would very likely win again, and probably not by a small margin. either.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not sure what the point is. Trump is treated very poorly by liberal outlets and pretty well by conservative ones. Looking at his predecessor, Obama was treated well by liberal outlets and poorly by conservative ones. Is the criticism that Trump gets from 'opposing' outlets more sustained and vicious? Yes, because he produces more material to criticize every day. Conservative rags had to make up conspiracies (birtherism, race wars, death panels) to criticize No Drama Obama, but liberal media today gets spoon-fed by the Administration. The daily beating Trump endures from MSM is 99% self-inflicted. There is very little about the criticism that is unfair, no matter how vicious or viscous it gets.

Likewise for Biden. This is the media game. He's been playing it his whole adult life. If he can't manage to manipulate the news cycle, too bad so sad.

Nook, pirc1 and RayRay10 like this.
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is outrageous. Tulsi Gabbard - a member of Congress - was censored by Google and is right to be mad.

Tulsi Gabbard: If Google Can Censor A Member Of Congress Running For President, They Can Censor Anyone

REP. TULSI GABBARD: In the first [Democratic presidential primary] debate, I was the most Googled candidate of the night, when all of a sudden right at the peak of that time when people were paying attention, our account was suspended.

DAVE RUBIN: So you couldn't run ads?

TULSI GABBARD: People weren't seeing the ads that we wanted them to see is the bottom line.

And then once that peak period passed, our account was magically re-enstated. We still have not gotten any kind of meaningful, or even an attempt to provide a satisfactory explanation for it. Which just points to the need for change. We filed this lawsuit not just because of what happened there, but because of the kind of power Google has as this giant tech monopoly to interfere in our public discourse and really how they can impact our fair elections...

We need to be able to protect the rights and freedoms of the American people, and we have such a big tech monopoly with the power to provide undue influence, through their algorithms, as well as suppressing peoples' freedom of speech...

If this can be done to me as a member of Congress running for the highest office in the land, it can be done to anyone running for any office in this country and it can be done to any individual in this country.​

She is apparently filing a lawsuit against Google. I hope she wins.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  9. JuanValdez

Hope she wins if her case has any merit. If it doesn't, I hope she loses. The article doesn't provide any statement from Google, nor any attempt to validate or even contextualize her complaint, so there's no telling if she has anything to complain about. It does fit neatly into the new Trumpian narrative that Google is fixing our elections though.

But, The NY Times did do some real reporting: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/technology/tulsi-gabbard-sues-google.html They say, in part:

If Google is to be believed, this is a customer service problem, not a civil rights problem. And, I'm guessing her campaign signed something with a TOS when they made the ad account that described how there might be temporary fraud-prevention suspensions. I have a hard time imagining that Google actually took the time to interfere with their regular operations to silence a long-shot candidate. So, I'm going to guess that her suit has no merit and will get tossed out without a trial. But, in the meantime she can use news of the suit to get some clicks and some campaign dollars.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sassy.

biff17 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Karl Rove believes that the only Democrats currently running who have a chance are Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

Karl Rove: Biden, Warren, and Sanders are the only Democrats with a chance

Though months remain before the first 2020 Democratic presidential primary contest, Karl Rove argued only three candidates have a shot at winning the nomination: Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders.

“Yes, scads of other Democrats remain in the race, all saying they’re in it to win it. But with summer gone, no other candidate has made significant inroads. It’s unlikely that any of them has a real chance to be the nominee,” the former adviser to President George W. Bush wrote in the Wall Street Journal.​

12. JuanValdez

Ummm, no duh. He gets paid for his political insights?

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Andrew Yang and Ted Cruz are scheduled to play each other in a charity basketball game.

This is not only good for the charity, but it is great politics for both men, especially Andrew Yang, who is struggling to gain traction in the Democrat presidential contest. Yang is struggling to become known and this should help with that - and not only with the usual die-hard echo chamber cacooned leftist crowd. Doing this with Ted Cruz will provide him an opportunity to reach out to a lot of people who might never watch a Democrat presidential primary debate.

'I’ve seen you dunking': Yang and Cruz to play each other in charity basketball game

Sen. Ted Cruz and presidential contender Andrew Yang have challenged each other to a game of basketball with the loser giving money to charity. The challenge started when Pat Ward, a Fox News producer, urged the pair on Twitter to play a game of one-on-one basketball.

Cruz, 48, responded that he did not play with candidates who are polling less than 5%. Yang quickly pointed out that he had reached 5% in a poll.

"Bring it. 4 on 4, you plus three of your paid staffers vs me and three of my paid staffers (no outside ringers)," Cruz responded to Yang's tweet. "Say, this Friday afternoon in Houston? The loser gives $5k to the (non-political) charity of the winner’s choice? Game?"

"Let’s play one-on-one. Give the fans a show," Yang said.

"Hmm. You’re taller than I am. From the video, you’re probably a better shot. And, I’ve seen you dunking (on an 8-foot rim). Altogether, pretty strong. So ... JUST BRING IT," the Texas Republican said.​

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whether or not one finds an automatic algorithm colliding with a lurch in campaign activity "outrageous," it's really and truly old, recycled news at this point. There was no google "decision" made by an employee.

What's interesting to me is that Tulsi gleefully jumps aboard the Trump/Pravda "don't ever trust google" train. Let's limit our information to Trump's twitter feed and maybe some fringe outlets.

Nook likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Karl is really going out on a limb picking all three front-runners.

Nook and biff17 like this.
  16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Marianne Williamson has realized that people on the left are nastier to her than people on the right. And of course Williamson is hardly a righty herself.

Hot Mic Catches Marianne Williamson Slamming Liberals: What Does It Say That ‘Conservatives Are Nicer to Me’?

Marianne Williamson appeared last week on Sinclair’s America This Week with Eric Bolling and criticized Democrats for having “condescending attitudes” about people of faith. That was apparently not the only criticism she had of the left. Bolling this week shared a hot mic moment from right after that interview — defending the decision to do so — in which Williamson was a little more direct

“What does it say that Fox News is nicer to me than the lefties are? What does it say that the conservatives are nicer to me?… It’s such a bizarre world.” She also said, “I didn’t think the left was as mean as the right, they are.”

Williamson made similar comments about meanness on the left in a recent New Yorker interview.​

Well, welcome to the real world, Marianne! Leftists of the activist variety are aggressively nasty, and the only people on Earth who even come close to comparing to them on that score are the radical Islamic terrorist groups.

17. JuanValdez

She's competing against Democrats right now, not Republicans, so it's small wonder. It'd be downright patronizing if they were being nice to her. But just imagine the Trump tweets if somehow Williamson ended up being his general election opponent!

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Who's had a higher ratio of importance of job duties to his inability to understand or perform those duties? Has there ever been a commercial airline pilot that was a squirrel?

Anticope and Nook like this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

SAD!!

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member