1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is official. George Will has lost his mind:

Democrats Have Their Thatcher in Elizabeth Warren, If They Dare

Margaret Thatcher’s description of herself as a “conviction politician” alarmed some Britons but delighted others because her convictions were incompatible with the flaccid centrist consensus that had produced their nation’s 1970s stagnation. In 1979, voters rolled the dice, sending her to Downing Street. In Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrats have their Thatcher, if they dare.

When elected leader of Britain’s Conservatives, Thatcher, disgusted by a colleague’s rhetorical mush about a glorious “middle way,” slammed onto a table Friedrich Hayek’s tome The Constitution of Liberty and exclaimed, “This is what we believe!” Today, with a forthrightness perhaps more bracing than prudent, Warren advocates a radical agenda that is approximately Thatcherism — capitalism invigorated — inverted.​

Bwahaha. It is apparently time to fit old George for a rubber room.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I enjoy George Will's writing. What do you have an issue with this article? He is not saying Warren and Thatcher are similar politically, but they have a similar strength of conviction. His writing says they are at the extremes and not in what he calls "the mush of the middle". You disagree with Warren would be a Democrat candidate at the far left?

3. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

This was a terrible week for Trump, but is turning out to be a great week for him. Howard Shulz as an independent and
    the current batch of Dem candidates are so far from mainstream America that unless there is a huge market decline,
    economic recession etc. then Trump will win.

Beto, Julian, Warren, Kamala or etc. simply can't win a general election. It just won't happen.

The democratic party is far from democratic though and they'll find a way to super vote them out and let
    Hillary or Joe Biden be the candidate despite it not being who the party member actually want.

Anytime the spotlight is on Biden he blows himself up and Hillary is just done.

I think Bloomberg could win if he didn't have Shulz around splitting the votes but no way Dems put a billionaire
    wall street guy as their candidate.

MojoMan likes this.
  4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I do not believe Warren is a serious candidate. She destroyed herself trying to magically morph herself into being a minority. Besides that, she has several other people she is competing against that are very likely going to clean her proverbial clock, including Bernie Sanders and Beto O'Rourke. And this is likely going to be the weaker bracket than either the establishment bracket (Joe Biden & others) or the SJW/Identity Politics/Political Correctness bracket (Kamala Harris & others). And then there will, I believe, be a fourth bracket for others, including billionaires and maybe responsible, mature people who are not respected by the establishment, plus who knows who else.

Warren is not going to win and she knows it. She is trying to improve her fundraising and her political stature in the Senate. I would lover to be wrong about this, because if she wins the nomination, Trump will beat her like a drum. In fact, by the time that race was over, I do believe you would all be looking back on the loss suffered by Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election as 'the good old days' by comparison.

So, please, let me be wrong about this. But I really do not think even she believes she has a serious chance.

5. NewRoxFan

You are only showing your partisan bias. Warren would of course be a serious candidate. She has very serious policy positions that she strongly believes. You don't agree with her positions (to be honest, I don't believe all of her positions). But to say she isn't serious, or as Will says, conviction, is clearly wrong.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

You make a great point about Bloomberg. In fact, here he is today, blasting Schultz for running as an independent. Bloomberg claims that his complaint is that a third party candidate could never win. I think you are on to something when you envision Bloomberg running as an independent.

Bloomberg bashes Schultz over possible independent 2020 bid

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday an independent 2020 White House bid by former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz could siphon off enough votes from Democrats to help re-elect President Trump.

Bloomberg in a statement pointed to his consideration of an independent presidential bid in 2016 and said there is "no way" a third party candidate could win. Bloomberg, who served as New York City mayor as a Republican and independent, said an independent bid by Schultz would likely benefit Trump.​

What he is more plausibly complaining about here is that if Schultz announces his candidacy as an independent - especially this early - it will be almost impossible for Bloomberg to make the decision to run as an independent later on, effectively depriving him of that option. And that is what Bloomberg is really upset about here, in my opinion.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Well, I guess you and I are not in agreement on this. Stop the presses.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Why not? We are two years out, and anything can happen. Carter came out of the blue, as did Clinton. And even Obama was not the favored candidate early on. Not all of the candidates have even announced. And... we don't even know for certain that trump will be the republican candidate.

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And it sounds like Hillary still might run again. So maybe the third time will be the charm for her.

10. NewRoxFan

I think you should be a little more concerned that George Will (conservative republican) and I (moderate Democrat) can agree on things even if we don't share partisan beliefs.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's early for sure.

My early review of the candidates:
    Beto (not in but think he will be): Could win a general
    Kamala Harris: Don't think she could win
    Elizabeth Warren: hard to say. I just don't think she is inspiring at all so don't think she could convince non-Democratic voters.
    Amy Klobuchar: Very electable, not sure she is a powerful enough name
    Biden: Definitely could win a general, not sure can win a primary
    Bloomberg: Not sure he could win either
    Castro: Definitely electable
    Brown: This country isn't going to elect a white man named Sherrod. No in all seriousness, very electable, but kind of weird like Rand Paul.
    Gilibrand: Don't think she can win.
    Gabbard: Don't think she can win.

12. NewRoxFan

I was referring to Bill... and no, I don't expect Hillary will run ever again.

13. justtxyank

She definitely wants to. I think she's trying to convince herself and her inner circle she can do it.

14. NewRoxFan

Don't really disagree with your review (well, maybe Harris, who I do think could win, accomplished and smart like Hillary but more personable). And maybe Castro, who I like but worry he isn't electable.

The good news its very early and we will get the opportunity to learn more about these candidates. And some may end up VP candidates and others could end up as potential cabinet members.

15. justtxyank

I go back and forth on Kamala Harris. I just think she's going to try to move too far into the social justice platform to appease the left which will turn off a lot of those white voters (wrong or right) that she needs to steal back from Trump. I think being a woman of color it makes it worse for those voters when she takes those positions.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

She has a similar conundrum that Obama had. White voters think she's too ethnic, and I've seen a lot of chatter on twitter that black people think she's white. When you add the fact that she's female and the intrinsic sexism that comes with it, she just won't do it. I like her, but just like Warren, seeing her run makes me cringe.

17. NewRoxFan

Perhaps... but again, she just announced and there will be plenty of time to read about and hear he positions. Also learn more about her personally. She has a very interesting personal story (eg, didn't know she was raised as in both Baptist and Hindu traditions).

18. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Michael Bloomberg will be crucified by the left with his billionaire wall street status, and then in the general election
    as the fascist who tried to have government limit the size of a coke you could order!

I wish they could find another Bill Clinton as i'd be ok with losing to a sensible southern democrat, or even Howard
    Shulz as what he's saying is the dems have gone off the rocker in terms of government giveaways.

Howard Shulz under the dem banner or Trump i'd be okay with.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many bankers want Trump gone but fear the Democratic alternatives:

"Top Wall Street executives would love to be rid of President Donald Trump. But they are getting panicked about the prospect of an ultraliberal Democratic nominee bent on raising taxes and slapping regulations on their firms. . . . The result is a kind of nervous paralysis of executives pining for a centrist nominee like Michael Bloomberg while realizing such an outcome is unlikely from a party veering sharply to the left."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/28/wall-street-2020-economy-taxes-1118065

20. NewRoxFan

Don't have any issue with Mike Bloomberg and would be happy to look more closely at him as a candidate. But he hasn't declared yet. I do question the "party veering sharply left". Veering from what... trump's far right wing style of governing?