1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hang on to your hats, guys. Hillary Clinton has not ruled out running and is apparently engaged in discussions in advance of possibly running again in 2020. She apparently believes that since she won the popular vote last time, this suggests that she should have won and therefore maybe she will do it again.

One more time? Hillary Clinton mulling 2020 bid for White House

“So Hillary Clinton is telling people that she's not closing the doors to the idea of running in 2020,” Zeleny said. “Let's just let that sink in.”

Zeleny said that three people told him that as recently as this week, Clinton was telling people that she hadn’t definitively decided against running in 2020, especially given recent indictments of those close to President Trump, including his longtime adviser Roger Stone. Last week Stone was charged on seven counts in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, including obstruction, making false statements, and witness tampering.

Zeleny said Clinton would likely capitalize on the fact that she won the popular vote in 2016 in a contest she lost to President Trump. “She is still believing that there maybe could be a possibility under the argument of this, ‘I won the popular vote. All of this has sort of vindicated what happened in 2016,'” Zeleny said.​

If Hillary runs decides to run again, at that moment it will be time for the clown car to leave the station.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm liking what Schultz is saying so far.

BruceAndre likes this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There are also apparently quite a few former Democrat mayors who are still considering getting into the race. From The Hill:

Dem mayors pursue 2020 runs as solution to Washington paralysis

The more than half a dozen current and former mayors considering 2020 campaigns include Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (D), former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (D), New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu (D), New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) and former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), who was mayor of Denver.

And some have already thrown their hats into the ring including South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) and former San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro (D), who most recently served as Housing and Urban Development secretary under the Obama administration.

{More at the link}​

Probably not all of these people will run, but Hickenlooper, Bloomberg and Garcetti sound like they very possibly will. This is the first I am hearing about Landrieu, and I am having trouble taking a national candidacy by Bill de Blasio very seriously. But of course, we shall see.

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. And IIRC, Harris was among the leaders against Kavanagh.

It will be interesting to see whether this derails her nomination.

Of course the "bimbo eruptions" did not derail Bubba.

And, it wouldn't surprise me if the 5th column aka MSM just decides not to cover this.

MojoMan likes this.
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

If you're talking about the former Starbucks CEO -- yes he seems very interesting, especially since he has apparently said that the debt is our biggest issue.

If he has said that, and sticks to it, he could get my support.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. biff17

biff17 Member

cover what?

that she dated Brown.

how is that a relevant story?

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It may or may not be. If she slept her way to the top (although I don't know that such a charge can ever be proven), then that -- or at least the appearance of that -- is going to be detrimental to her political career.

It has the potential to make her look like a hypocritic if she, as one of the leaders of women's issues and supporter of me-tooism, engaged -- or is believed to have engaged -- in sleeping with those that could advance her political career.

And if she says that "there's no evidence" that she did anything wrong, some might reply -- "that didn't stop you from witch-hunting Kavanagh, now did it?"

So it's very potentially relevant. If a politician is going to point a finger of impropriety, as she did against Kavanagh (without merit IMO), then that politician better hope that his or her own record is clean.

Her version is that they "dated." Critics will say she "slept her way to the top."

Meanwhile, the media will (most likely) have a field day for a while.

Surely you see this?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Howard Shultz campaign as an independent has the Democrats worried.

Democrats uneasy about potential Howard Schultz bid

For a businessman who grew a small coffee roaster into an inescapable global chain, who ensured that even his part-time workers had benefits and who has given about $150,000 to Democratic campaigns, former Starbucks Chairman Howard Schultz is generating tepid — or even hostile — responses within the party as he weighs a presidential bid in 2020.

That’s partly because — as Schultz told “60 Minutes” on Sunday — he’s considering running as an independent, a prospect many worry could draw support from the eventual Democratic nominee and hand President Donald Trump another four years in office. Among those urging him not to run as an independent are David Axelrod, the former adviser to President Barack Obama, and Tina Podlodowski, the Democratic Party chairwoman in Washington state, where Schultz has lived for decades.

“It concerns me that so many voices within the Democratic Party are going so far to the left,” Schultz told CNBC last June. “I ask myself, ‘How are we going to pay for all these things?’ in terms of things like single-payer or people espousing the fact that the government is going to give everyone a job. I don’t think that’s realistic.”​

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And here is Trump trying to bait Schultz into the race, because he knows it will help him:

Howard Schultz doesn’t have the “guts” to run for President! Watched him on @60Minutes last night and I agree with him that he is not the “smartest person.” Besides, America already has that! I only hope that Starbucks is still paying me their rent in Trump Tower!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 28, 2019

11. NewRoxFan

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Kamala Harris kickoff announcement had a bigger turnout than Obama.

Kamala Harris draws bigger crowd than Obama for launch of White House bid

Could Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., be generating more early buzz than former President Barack Obama did more than 10 years ago? If attendance is any indicator, the answer could be yes.

The California senator officially entered the 2020 fray on Sunday with a speech outside Oakland City Hall. Ian Sams, Harris' press secretary, tweeted that more than 20,000 people showed up to see the event.

NEWS: More than 20,000 in crowd at @KamalaHarris launch speech. Thousands more still in lines for overflow.

— Ian Sams (@IanSams) January 27, 2019
    For those of you who are focused in on Bernie, Beto and Elizabeth Warren, as if that is where the action certainly must be, you might want to think again.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Governor Hickenlooper. Come on down!

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Also bigger than trump. :p

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Kamala Harris could be the nominee for the Democrats in 2020. I project her as my current, gut-check frontrunner in this race.

16. NewRoxFan

Perhaps, she has strong backing and a strong resume. Other possible candidates haven't announced yet (including Amy Klobuchar).

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As I have said previously, I believe Klobuchar would be the most dangerous general election candidate that the Democrats can put up. If they were to nominate her, that is, which I do not think is very likely at all.

On the other hand, I think Harris will be a terrible general election candidate, but she has an excellent chance of winning the nomination.

Meanwhile, the smart, old-school establishment elite money appears to be lining up behind Joe Biden.

And a number of the more outspoken people in the media and here on this board seem to favor Bernie, Beto or Elizabeth Warren.

Hmmm.

BruceAndre likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Getting an appointment to a state commission isn't exactly "the top." It's also not clear that the appointment was a tit-for-tat. But since then, she got elected and re-elected as DA, elected and re-elected as AG, and elected as Senator. She, in fact, is a much more consequential political figure than her supposed benefactor ever was. It would seem to me that her success has very little to do with any relationship she had back when she was in the minor leagues.

I can see already that misogyny is going to be the theme of the 2020 election (much like it was in 2016, I guess). One way or the other, we're going to hear about how the Democratic candidate didn't even deserve to be there except that she leveraged her gender in some underhanded way.

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

That would be so beautiful. The only way the Dems can beat the Orange One is to go with a centrist candidate. Harris is not that.