1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden campaign quickly rejects the support

MojoMan likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what is Sanders problems with AA voters?

I think he is too grumpy and preachy and they don't think he will accomplish anything.

Thoughts?

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Michael Bloomberg is on the board:

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Massachusetts called for Joe Biden, Sanders in second and Pocahontas finishes in third place in her home state.

With that, we can safely call the end of Elizabeth Warren's 2020 presidential campaign.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I cannot believe that the Democrats may actually be getting ready to nominate Joe Biden as their nominee.

Corrosion and ryan_98 like this.
  8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How sexist of you! Liz and Tulsi are still in it until they say they're out.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bloomberg is out and has endorsed Joe Biden.

Mike Bloomberg suspends presidential campaign after Super Tuesday flop

Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg suspended his presidential campaign Wednesday after spending record amounts from his own fortune on an ad-blitz strategy that failed to yield any wins on Super Tuesday beyond a single victory in the American Samoa caucuses.

He immediately announced he would be endorsing Joe Biden, following in the footsteps of other moderate-leaning Democratic presidential candidates who have consolidated support behind the former vice president in his primary brawl against Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.​

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

James Carville gives kudos to Rep. James Clyburn for 'literally saving the Democratic party':

Carville Salutes Clyburn: Biden Endorsement "Literally Saved The Democratic Party"

MSNBC: Veteran Democratic strategist James Carville reacts to the endorsement Joe Biden received from Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) ahead of Super Tuesday.

"That guy literally saved the Democratic Party," Carville said of Clyburn.​

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Elizabeth Warren is 'reassessing' her campaign. In other words, she is done. Expect the formal announcement soon.

Warren reassessing campaign after disappointing Super Tuesday

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is taking a day to assess whether she still has a path to the Democratic nomination after a disappointing Super Tuesday in which she failed to net a substantial delegate haul.

Warren flew home to Boston late Tuesday, after a Detroit rally. She has no public events scheduled for the day. A senior campaign official told The Hill she would meet with staff to gauge her remaining chances. "Elizabeth is talking to her team to assess the path forward," the campaign aide said.

Warren has yet to win a single contest, and she suffered disappointing losses in both early voting states and in states that voted on Super Tuesday. She finished an embarrassing third place in Massachusetts, her home state, behind both former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

By the end of the night, Warren had accumulated an estimated 50 delegates through both the early states and Tuesday's contests, a tiny fraction of the number that Biden and Sanders added to their hauls.​

ryan_98 likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

President Trump laying a few last words on Pocahontas about her legacy in this contest, as she prepares to exit stage left:

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe Texas. Naive to think all the Warren votes would migrate to Sanders. But, I'd add killing Bloomberg's campaign to her legacy. I don't think anyone was as good as her at exposing his weaknesses. I'm a little sad that she won't get a shot at Trump. I think she's better than the others at the trench warfare.

joshuaao, Astrodome and ryan_98 like this.
  14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It looks like it is down to Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden now. Which one of those two do you like better? Because unless something remarkably unexpected happens, those appear to be your remaining choices.

15. JuanValdez

I'd rather have Sanders as president, but I'm fine with either one as the candidate. Everyone seems to have an opinion about which one is more electable vs Trump, but my position is you can't know the future. Biden is more broadly palatable, but Sanders has more vivor. So I'm content to let whatever's going to happen happen. If Trump is defeated, it's mission accomplished.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After last night Biden is up 553 to 488, a 65 delegate lead. There are 365 delegates at stake next Tuesday and then the next debate is on the 15th which will presumably feature just Biden and Sanders.

Will Sanders still be within range by then or will Biden put enough distance between himself and Bernie? It seems like these two dates are his last chance to regain the lead.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

To win on the first ballot, 1,991 delegates are required. Both of these guys are still a good ways short of that and both of them still have quite a bit of work to do.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/democratic_delegate_count.html

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. JuanValdez

I think we had a moment of euphoria where suddenly everyone suddenly forgot that Biden isn't that good a campaigner. I think Sanders will be able to recover somewhat in the next few weeks when Biden reminds voters that it's not his strong suit. Though I suppose the wild card here is Bloomberg -- his air game could smother Sanders for Biden so long as Biden keeps his screw-ups to a minimum.

joshuaao likes this.