1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Rice knocks fiancee unconscious

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Feb 19, 2014.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the PC Mob is really running counter to American values when it comes to cold-clocking your wife in a hotel elevator.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So in other words, she had it coming.

Guys that hit women are p*****s.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The NFL does not care.

Morality has never been a part of the NFL and it isn't now. It is the most profitable and best ran sports business in the world, but it also is just about as bad as you can get when it comes to doing the right thing.

The NFL finally responded because.... they don't want to lose fans ONLY.

4. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I see what you are saying, but I don't think swinging at her justifies it.

He could have simply bear hugged her to stop a potential attack. Hell, even a proper form tackle would have been better than what he did.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pretty Much any business
    You think if this video came out from your local Krogers Employee
    that they would have a job tomorrow?

Ray needs a Stay are the barred hotel.
    That isht is ridiculous . . .. .

Rocket River

6. Nook

Nook Member

You are a coward.

7. likestohypeguy

Finally a poster at least acknowledges this point & claims to be consistent between men & women anyway (though I would be surprised if any of us wouldn't knock a smaller man out if he came at us). If a grownup attacks me, man or woman, I believe I have the right to defend myself, and not with juuust exactly enough force to stop them without hurting them. If the laws applied equally, then women would learn like the men who can't fight have to learn, not to start fights with someone capable of hurting you while they're defending themselves against your attack.

The rest of everyone's irrelevant attacks & assumptions about me hitting women- I have actually been physically attacked by a woman once, and I did not even defend myself, I just gtfo & locked her out because like the rest of you am aware of the double standard that doesn't allow you to defend yourself against women. No way would I or anyone else here similarly run away & lock themselves from an equally sized man in that situation. But with women, that's what I have done & will continue to do just to stay out of jail- I'm saying that's not what you should have to do, legally, or to keep your job etc. and if those weren't generally the consequences, yes, I would knock them out too if they attacked me physically, and why I applaud the minimal suspension.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yup basically a bunch of rich white men saying it is okay because they make a whole lot of money off of it.

The hypocrisy is insane.

If Ray Rice killed someone tomorrow these a$$holes would feel no responsibility.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that she didn't "attack" him, there was a weak slap outside the elevator, but enough time passed between that and Ray Rice's assault to where you can't say it was causal. Nothing she did in the elevator was what I'd define as an "attack" either so really he just knocked her out because he was mad. This wasn't a self defense scenario.

10. Nook

Nook Member

If your wife smacks you in a public place, and your response is to knock her out, you are a coward. Sometimes men need to police there own... that **** isn't acceptable.

It isn't like she came at him with a hammer or something.

Ray Rice is a bad person, PERIOD.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Exactly. Likestohypeguy is seeing something completely different in this video than every other sane person is.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I will say though if your wife is a Ronda Rousey type and she's throwing punches trying to knock you out and you respond with punches of your own, that's a totally different situation.

Of course, that's the extreme and that's legitimate self defense. 99% of the time, that's not the case.

13. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I agree with everything you said here, but I can't get on board with labeling him a bad person with so much certainty. He clearly made a mistake, we all do.

We know nothing about the guy except what he does on the football field and this incident, so in my opinion, it is a bit unfair to label him as a bad person.

All that being said, he could be an ass. Just trying to add a bit of perspective.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, that's tough to watch...Rice is such a p***y. Disgusting.

15. likestohypeguy

Yeah bobby I don't think even at her worst it could have been all that severe of an attack, but that's where we disagree, the threshold required to make it legal for someone to defend themselves- I don't think it should have to be a life threatening attack, a woman with a weapon or a professionally trained fighter that everyone agrees could seriously hurt you if you didn't fight back. I don't think anyone has the right to attack anyone else, regardless of how bad they stand to hurt them. So when they do, you should be allowed to defend yourself.

That's reasonable. Unfortunately that better go perfectly too, because the laws are generally so one sided that even that can get you in trouble. I knew someone who did exactly that, bear hugged a woman who was going ballistic, then when in response she repeatedly screamed rape at the top of her lungs in the middle of the night with everyone sleeping, the man carries her out of the building. On her way out she's flailing one of her arms everywhere trying to grab anything, and slams her arm against the door frame leaving a red mark. He should have been better trained in professional restraint techniques, or been that much more physically overpowering than her so that she couldn't have gotten an arm free had he wrapped her up properly, becuase of course she called the cops on the man for assaulting her.

And I already said what I would do in r.r.'s situation (not even get in the elevator with her after she got physical before entering), and what I have done when attacked by a woman in the past- retreat.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I look at it as the Spiderman principle, the whole "with great power" line. I've had a ton of crazy ex's (meant less as a knock on them than of my poor taste in women earlier in my life) and I've had a couple of them try to attack me. Now I was fully capable of hurting them badly and it wouldn't have taken much effort....which is why I didn't. You have a responsibility to restrain yourself if you have the ability to hurt people, or rather at least, that's how I see it.

I look at it the same way with dogs, little ankle biters can be aggressive as hell and it's just an annoyance, a doberman acts that way and you have to kill it. It's not fair, but that's just how life is.

17. likestohypeguy

I would put that responsibility on the attacker first, because they are more capable of restraining themselves from physically attacking me in the first place, than I am of defending myself using only the perfectly required amount of strength, just aggressive enough to stop them without hurting them. I am not spiderman.

If they can bite your ankles, that's more than just an annoyance to me. Unless I am in someone else's house or within their leash range (in which cases I'll try to run), and a loose poodle bites me, I'm kicking a field goal.

18. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I would take my chances in a case that involves giving her a red mark on her arm over a bruised face/KO every time. Especially in RR's situation...he would have had video evidence to support his defense in the scenario you mention above.

Then, he's probably looking at a 0 game suspension. And a pat on the back for being the bigger man and making a good decision.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps it isn't fair.

However it wasn't just that he hit her, it is the level of agression he used and his response after he hit her. He didn't look like he cared at all. Then again I am jaded as a former prosecutor. When you see enough very violent people and see video of it over and over again, you notice when someone is so callous. His behavior after the fact hasn't helped him either.

So to me he is a bad person.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

smh you can restrain a woman or defend yourself from her without knocker the broad out dead cold. People pay for PPVs to see Knockouts like that