1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Lewis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If you can count documentaries as "seeing" him as a father...or if you consider that he is pretty much retiring to follow his son's college career...from what i have gathered, he's been a great father and role model to his kids.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

You know who aren't great fathers? They guys that died in that double murder.

3. Nook

Nook Member

People "make mistakes"? We are not talking about Ray Lewis parking in a handicapped parking spot. We are taking about murder.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Matthew 7:1.

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

Double murderers are typically poor fathers i'm glad to see Ray Lewis break the mold.

6. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

No one is condoning the role he played in those homicides. However from the image he is now portraying, it seems like he has genuinely changed and people choose to treat him accordingly.

Looking at the E:60 piece Ray's father was out of his life and drugged up and was treated that way, but when he started to put his life back together he was able to reconnect a create a fatherly bond and Ray forgave him because he changed from his old life.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Mr pretty boy tom brady left his pregnant gf. I wonder how much involvement he has with the kid?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting you bring that up on a week that Armstrong might end up bringing down his charity and tainting all of the good things he did.

Anyway that is an ends justify the means argument. That someone can lie, cheat and obstruct justice as long as they can use their fame for good.
    Yes that definitely has to be taken into consideration. For example why isn't Pete Rose in the baseball Hall of Fame? Why isn't OJ Simpson considered a hero anymore?
    I agree that is something that should be considered in regard to looking at Mother Teresa's legacy. It has been brought up even here on Clutchfans just how complicated a person Mother Teresa was even by people who admire her.
    And there has been a lot of reconsideration of Michael Jordan as hero since he retired and when light of his gambling problems came up even while he was still playing. While many people greatly admire Michael Jordan for what he did as a player on the court he certainly isn't considered now the hero that he once was. While a lot of that has to do with him not playing anymore but it also has to do with how much we know about who he really is. The same is true of Walter Payton and many other sports heroes.

This is one reason why I give Barkley a lot of credit for his comment about not being a role model.
    Again that is a very troubling ends justify the means argument. I mean if OJ Simpson started doing a lot for charity should we then start celebrating him?

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't consider Tom Brady as a hero or role model either.

10. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

A lot of these athletes are arrogant jerks that let their fame go to their head and when you're young and get your butt kissed like that, who can blame them? Chances are, you'd be the same way. It's no wonder that many of these athletes go broke so quickly and some live very lonely lives with plenty of bridges burned after and sometimes during their playing career.

That's why, like I said, you should play sports at a high level if you have a passion for it, not the money and the fame.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Nothing about his religion or the murders but figures this belongs here.
    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...rmer_wide_receiver_amani_toomer_says/12798550

Ex-Giants WR: Ray Lewis has become caricature of himself
    Found 9 hours ago on NESN.com: Yardbarker Blogger Network

Count former Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer among those who have had enough of Ray Lewis.

Toomer played against Lewis in Super Bowl XXXV, and while he says he has great respect for the linebacker as a player, he has grown tired of Lewis stealing the spotlight from his Ravens teammates.

“It’s definitely all about him,” Toomer, who now works for NBC Sports Radio, told USA Today on Wednesday. “Once a guy goes to the center of the field, goes into the victory formation on the last play of his last home game … I just don’t think the Giants or any organization I’ve ever been a part of, even growing up, would allow somebody to single themselves out like that.”

Lewis has announced that Sunday will be his final game in the NFL, which has been the primary storyline following Baltimore throughout these playoffs. The future Hall of Famer has ramped up his already bombastic on-field persona — including elaborate dance routines and emotional press conferences — over the past month, to a point that Toomer feels is beginning to border on ridiculous.

“If you single yourself out after you make a play, that’s one thing,” he said. “But to walk out on the field reminds me of the WWE, like The Rock coming out. You’re becoming a caricature of yourself. It’s exhausting. I don’t know why somebody would want that.”

Luckily for the former wideout, Sunday will be the last time we’ll see Ray Lewis on the sport’s biggest stage. Until he begins his reported gig as an ESPN analyst, that is.

Photo credit: Scott Halleran/Getty Images Sport

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Pretty sure this has already been said, but Ray Lewis gets a pass because he's one of the greatest players of this generation. Perhaps THE greatest defensive player of the generation. I mean, life isn't fair. Nor is it moral.

13. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. Ray Lewis is a horrible role model. Props for getting his life together, but it doesn't change what he did.

Also, I know this isn't a huge leap of faith, but I predict he'll be a horrible commentator.

14. Classic

Classic Member

I hope the 49ers pound the Ravens after seeing Ray Ray all over the TV this week.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need to review the case
    but . . .what EXACTLY did Ray do?

Are you people of the mind he actually stabbed someone . . and murdered them
    or
    did he cover up for his friends?

I was of the mind he *might* have covered up something
    which is horrible and if it were my family . . i might be up to do something

these things come down to . . . if you like him . . . you ride with him
    if you don't . .. you find every possible way to diminish him

this is the way with most celebrities . . our society

Rocket River

16. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Lots of haters.