1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ray Lewis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 6, 2013.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1bGVT4-1DBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(for the younger members of our community)

2. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

'There is no justice'

http://www.sptimes.com/News/012301/SuperBowl2001/_There_is_no_justice_.shtml

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry I should've written "I have nothing against dogs, when they are properly cooked."
    :p

1 person likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You raise a good point.

To answer both you and Kojirou I remember his MVP run but I don't remember people talking about him as a role model. There was a lot of praise for his work ethic and that he showed contrition but his dog fighting past was still frequently brought up. I didn't see the whole game but the only mention I recall about the double murder was a brief one by Boomer Esiason.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ray Lewis is guilty of protecting his friends. They were the ones accused of murder.

That doesn't make him a bad guy, nor a good guy. Did he do the right thing? No. He broke the law. Did Ray Lewis commit murder. Seems like it was his two friends.

It's not like he's OJ or something here. But yeah, it's a bit weird.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Bingo.

He's guilty of protecting his friends.

7. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

[​IMG]

he iz a strait snitch

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is the way it goes...
    Lewis is involved in a murder and gets a pass..
    Kobe anally rapes a teenager and no one cares..

But for god sakes don't say something stupid like John Rocker...

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What did Rocker say? I forgot. Anyhow, did the cops ever accuse Ray Lewis of shooting people? I don't remember the details of that either. As for Vick, didn't he win some community service awards the last couple of years for his work with the ASPCA or something? Fans support redemption and winners. It's when you start losing that they get angrier than anything. And back to Lewis...perhaps he was a thug, but all I see now is a Bible thumper on tv, so unless he's a complete phony, he's probably a much different person than 10 years ago.

10. rudan

rudan Member

[​IMG]

11. rudan

rudan Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/5895/Disney-s-Ray-of-Light-Ray-Lewis-TV-Funhouse/embed/" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Go watch your Roman Polanski Movie
    and old episodes of Baretta

Rocket River

13. Nook

Nook Member

Did I miss the Oscar tribute for Polanski?

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I agree with the general premise of this thread, I do think it is important to note that Lewis was not convicted of murder. He is, according to the law, fully innocent in that regard. Did he make a deal to plead to obstruction of justice and agree to testify against his companions? Yes. But that doesn't mean he killed anybody or isn't full clean.

One article linked here notes:

Would it then be okay to celebrate Ray Lewis if he didn't make the deal but was nonetheless innocent? Cause I presume that is what would have happened. He made a deal, provided at least some evidence against the 2 other men, and they were still innocent.

Also, don't overlook the fact that perhaps Lewis was charged originally because of his name. Not that I believe it, but just as it does happen that the "The rich and famous, they get away with things", sometimes the rich and the famous also get targeted. After all, Lewis did ultimately make a deal and provide testimony. The other two (or one of them) didn't make the deal and provide testimony against Ray.

In all, my point is that I understand the general view that Lewis was involved in something VERY bad, didn't act in a complete 100% stand-up way immediately afterwards, so why should I respect him now. Alternatively, consider the view that Lewis was not the instigator and perpetrator of the bad act, and since said act (whether as a result of this life changing moment or not) has at least acted himself as you would expect of a role model.

Finally, the comparison to Vick is moronic. Vick was CONVICTED of being the prime perpetrator and instigator of his crimes and spent time in jail. Completely different.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Ray Lewis were white you would be agreeing with us.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Did I say I did not?

KingASStah - and. . . if he was white. . you'd not agree with the general sentiment. You'd be defending him.

The general consensus is . .. I can forgive MY GUY but not YOUR GUY.
    Because I know MY GUY's heart. . . but YOUR GUY is a evil sonofab*tch.

Just like people want to dog the Saints but gloss over the Cheatriots

Ray post-issues seems a good guy
    I cannot claim to know his heart but looks like he was scared straight
    His involvement in the incident is problematic
    IF he prevents kids from doing the same. .. good.

If it were my kin . . . I'd have tried to end his career quite some time
    before 17 yrs. . . and I would not be angry if those men's kin
    held that mentality to this day.
    Somethings are not . . forgivable.

so . . . for your attempt to ASSUME things. . .
    [​IMG] JUST [​IMG]

Rocket River

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Roethlisberger seems like a good guy.

Said by no one.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

evidence was around his two friends. do you think the DA would not want to go after Ray Lewis instead?

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I am not saying Ray Lewis should've been found guilty of murder or that he should be banned from football or that the case should be retried. The justice system is what it is and Ray Lewis made a plea bargain and the rest of the case was what it was. What I am talking about though is regarding the court of public opinion. I myself think that someone who was involved in double murder who admitted to obstructing the investigation of that murder shouldn't be considered a hero or a role model.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

i don't see ray lewis as a hero.

A hero should be someone who saves lives. He definitely hasn't done that.

But hero's and role models aren't ever perfect. And while role models should inspire kids to do better and achieve...the fact is they don't have to be perfect to have a positive benefit in the world. Why shouldn't he be a role model? If it helps a kid work harder in school and to achieve - who cares? Most role models are full of it anyway. But because they are divorced from the day-to-day reality of a kids life - they are perfect.

Should the media whitewash Ray Lewis's involvement in this crime? I don't think so. But should we say that he should never serve as a role model to a kid who doesn't know about his past? I don't think so either. Anyone can be a positive role-model. From a teacher, to a parent, a sibling, anyone. Ray Lewis is doing a lot of positive things. He might be a scum bag, but trying to diminish him whether it's rightful or not doesn't really accomplish anything.