1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the Rockets broadcast team among the other local broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Feb 11, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Any broadcast featuring Drexler is going to be poor. The guy adds no content whatsoever. And he is annoying.

2. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Homer, l have league pass as well and if you are thinking of homers Matt Harpering is pretty annoying. Tommy Heinsohn is by far the worst he called somneone on the other team a demon :eek: Atlanta announcers are pretty good. Houston is up there with the best of them in objectivity in analysis they are pretty weak. Bullard and Clyde are ok but could use some work especially if you compare them to Calvin Murphy who was awesome.

3. HipHopSince1981

Bull is pretty decent and Clyde is..Clyde lol

Worrell has started complaining A LOT lately. I know he's a huge fan and homer but mannn, a complaint or whine bout our defense after every score by the other team gets annoying.

4. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

If anyone can tolerate Tommy for 48 min, he must be a Celtics fan.

1 person likes this.
  5. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i think havnt seen every local broadcast team at work, but most of them r duos right ? why have we a trio ?
    to answer : i like Bull, he knows his stuff and is entertaining. unlike most of you i havnt grow up with Worrell and i'm not very high on him, he is boring. and i cant stand CLyde, he gives the impression to not know anything about the players, just saying generic things, he brings nothing imo
    from what i've seen so far, Walt Frazier, of the Knicks, is really good

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

***COUGH COUGH UTAH ANNOUNCERS COUGH COUGH***

7. BonziWellsGOAT

Best color commentator ever.

NSFW:

[​IMG]

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Our guys are so-so. Can't remember which broadcast I liked but maybe it was GS (as someone else mentioned).

The Lakers seemed to be terrible.

9. Fantasma Negro

I hate Bill Worrell. Is there any way we can get JVG to do our games...and coach LoL

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Joel Myers, the play-by-play guy in New Orleans, is essentially the Joe Buck of basketball; he has a great "radio voice", but has absolutely no concept of the moment, rarely gets excited, and has become incredibly spiteful against any and all teams since the Lakers canned him for Spero Dedes, who ended up turning down LA for the Knicks.

I personally like Bill's voice; having a bit of Texas twang to his voice definitely makes him distinctive. But more and more I've been finding myself selecting the opposing team's feed, because he's becoming insufferably whiny. Houston employs James Harden; Bill simply doesn't have the standing to complain about bailout calls, embellishing contact and especially the "well, the refs are gonna take a look at it, that's never a good sign for the Rockets". If I had to rank the teams as a whole, I definitely think that they belong in the bottom 1/3.

Sean Elliott is the bane of my existence as a viewer; the constant use of we, as well as the way he feels the need to crap on opposing players in order to build up the Spurs way makes him sound completely unprofessional. Charles Barkley was one of my favorite players growing up because he punched the Denver Mascot, Boogie Cousins is one of my favorite non-Rockets now because he actually stood up to Elliot. If he punched him in the face, he'd probably be in my top 5.

One homer team I really do like is the Toronto crew; they just sound like they enjoy calling basketball and are just happy to have a team.

11. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Have league pass, dont live in houston anymore...i'd rate Houston as above average. They have alot of energy and can be pretty funny. But its hard to really rate because there are different categories. Some cast teams are homers like Boston or Houston, some are neutral, some are national teams like NY or NJ or LA, some are boring with no personality at all. I actually like it better to hear the other team's broadcast so i can hear their opinion on the Rockets. I know every team loves Parsons...lol Its kinda weird though...i mean he's good but geesh

12. BonziWellsGOAT

I might be crazy but compared to some of the broadcasts Ive listened to Houston doesnt seem annoyingly homerish

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I love them...nothing better than a hometown biased call.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No, that's embarrassing. It's why Fox News and CNBC suck

15. bmd

bmd Member

Local broadcasts are meant to be biased. It's a Rockets broadcast. That's why you see the big Rocket logo graphics, Adam Wexler talking about the Rockets, the halftime show talking about how the Rockets are doing in the game, they interview Rockets players after the game, they say "Rockets basketball on CSN", etc.

It's supposed to be homerish.

Homerism is only a problem when it is broadcasted by a neutral party like ESPN or TNT.

Nothing wrong with homerism from Rockets' announcers for a Rockets broadcast.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Are you sure? I listen to all of them as well and the only one tolerable is the Wizards 2 man crew. Bill Worrell has the best sounding voice and commentary skills out of all them. Rockets are truely blessed to have him..

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I find most local broadcasts equally mediocre. Some are more mediocre than others. But overall mostly mediocre.

There are some ones I really like, and those have been touched on already by others. But there's a lot of parity in the NBA announcing business.

18. SevenMinuteAbs

I haven't heard a lot but the ones that stuck out to me were

The Blazers who were really good. Not biased yet informative.
    The TWolves much like the blazers maybe more informative, only caught the end of the game, though.
    The Clippers maybe worst homerism than us going nuts over every play they made, but we also played terribly that game so it coulda been exaggerated due to frustration.

19. StandontheLake

Dislike the Nuggets and Spurs and Bucks. Maybe worse than ours. Clips and Celtics are horrible, definitely worse than ours.

Lakers are good, Dallas is okay, 6ers are good, Detroit is okay. Knicks are solid. Our are at the back end, but hardly the worst.

20. TheresTheDagger

Best opponent broadcast teams:

1. Minnesota-- REALLY liked their call last game.
    2. Portland
    3. Brooklyn
    4. New Orleans
    5. New York

Worst opponent broadcast teams:
    1. Boston -- Come on...Tommy Heinsohn?
    2. San Antonio -- Come on...Sean Elliott?
    3. Oklahoma City -- Extremely cocky
    4. Phoenix -- Obvious they are still bitter about 94-95
    5. Utah -- Matt Harpring is freaking annoying.