1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Lars and The Real Girl - I want to go to Netflix HQ, find the jerk who labeled it a "oddball comedy" and kick him in the nuts. I'll never get those 100 minutes back.

Ryan Gosling was good, so I'll give it 2 outta 5 stars. Maybe if you knew it was a depressing drama about loss, depression, and loneliness you'd give it 4 or 5 stars.

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I just saw Slumdog Millionaire last night with my wife, and we'd both give it 4 stars. Granted I don't watch a lot of movies, but that's the best movie I've seen in a while.

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I've wanted to see Waltz with Bashir for a while. I'm going to check it out after class sometime this week.

Last movie I saw was Che, the 4 and a half hour biopic on Che Guevara. I would give it an 86/100, but that's just because I'm a history buff. I wouldn't recommend it to a casual movie-goer. The first part is definitely better than the second.

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

-Australia. It's one of the most pretentious movies I've seen in a while. It's fluff coated with a serious theme, in typical Hollywood style. 4/10 (only because I like the passed setting)

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol insidehoops thread? last movie I saw was "Afro Samurai: Ressurection". The soundtrack is banging. Love the Hip Hop and Anime combination.

First time I have seen somebody actually rate a movie "rottentomatoes style". I'm curious, how did you come to 64%?

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Kentucky Fried Movie (30%) - The laughs were very few and very far between. Complete waste of my time. I'm sure it was a lot funnier back in the day, when much of the comedy was much more controversial. These days we have SNL skits like Dick In A Box and j*zz In My Pants, and that's just on network TV...

7. roksoer

roksoer Member

i just watched slumdog millionaire and it is one of the best movies i have ever seen

8. thunderclap

thunderclap Member

Hulk vs Wolverine 10/10 All out brawl; the best Marvel movie so far; better than Iron Man, the Spiderman movies, and the X-Men movies.
    Hulk vs Thor 7/10
    Valkyrie 9/10
    Tropic Thunder 5/10

9. ClutchCityReturns

The King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters (88%) - At the heart of this awesome documentary is a classic story of the kind-hearted underdog on a journey to triumph over the crooked bad guy (and his own conscious in some ways). Even though it's just about videogames, I really found myself pulling for Steve to get the best of Billy. Probably not quite as entertaining for people who aren't or never have been into video games but I imagine it would still be fairly entertaining.

10. ClutchCityReturns

The Omega Man (45%) - Really didn't like this at all. In fact, I feel like I should give it a lower score...but I'm cutting it slack because it's nearly 40 years old and I can see where a movie like this could be limited by that. Most of my issues stem from the bad guys looking so silly, and non creepy. It rendered the film incapable of being any degree of unsettling. Simply not enjoyable.

11. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Paths of Glory: Stanley Kubrick's second film, I think. 5 stars outta 5. A very young Kirk Douglas was the protagonist. A solid war movie.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

wow. Every single one of those ranking is hilarious

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The Bank Job - 75%. Decent plot, very good acting, has a throwback action movie feel.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

dude, i know you're ankle is ****ed up...but you need to start getting out more. give your DVD player a rest. :)

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, where the **** have you been, we've got a nice new court to play at and everything.

16. ClutchCityReturns

I probably play more often than you guys do, actually. I got my 24 Hour membership last month and I've been going to the one on San Felipe during the week. Weekends have been busy for me lately, so it's hard to get out there with you guys.

17. thunderclap

thunderclap Member

Any movie with Deadpool in it automatically becomes the greatest movie of all time. Yes, you heard it here, folks. Hulk vs. Wolverine is greater than the Dark Knight and Godfather combined.

Rock-a-bye BAM!

18. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank You For Smoking - 7/10 - Quasi black comedy (or as the director described it, non PC), with a strong performance by Aaron Eckhart. I laughed a lot , although I probably wouldn't have found the movie as entertaining if someone in my family was a smoking addict.

19. penn

penn New Member

Yeah, yeah, definitely agree! That's totally ****!!!

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Lately into classic rockumentaries/rock movies. Here are the ones I recently rented and viewed:

1. Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)- you have to see this movie to believe it. The filmmakers were simply following the Rolling Stones on tour and had no idea they would create the rock and roll equivalent of the Zapruder film (at the end, they show the footage of the person being stabbed to death in the crowd at Altamont in 1969).

2. The Kids are Alright (The Who)- probably the best documentary ever- live clips, interviews, videos (e.g. Happy Jack), and studio shorts of The Who. Very well done.

3. Hard Day's Night (The Beatles)- mostly slapstick, but it's pretty funny as far as rock movies go and the tunes are, of course, classic.

4. Don't Look Back (Bob Dylan)- close to being the best- the filmmaker follows Dylan around in London during the '66 (I think) tour, and he captures a lot of good stuff, including a scene in which someone throws a glass from his 3rd story hotel room to the street below- hearing Dylan yell, "someone tell me who the f**k threw the ******* glass!" is worth the price of the rental by itself.

5. The Song Remains The Same (Led Zeppelin)- OK, the fantasy sequences are a little cheesy, but it captures Zep at their peak, which is a good thing.

6. Meeting People is Easy (Radiohead)- some people complain that this is too weird, but think about it- it's Radiohead. It fits perfectly with their music and persona.

7. The Wall (Pink Floyd)- extremely bizarre. Interesting nonetheless.

Gimme Shelter is really something to see. Total lunacy at the end.