1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Sonic - 8 /10 - Keeping in mind that it's a family film and Sonic looking like a cute hedgehog, it's a very solid movie. It gives the fans of Sonic some great nostalgic feelings while having some cute and funny moments between Sonic and James Mardsen, but Jim Carrey basically makes this movie a great one for everyone to see. He's a mix of old familiar characters - Mask, Ace Ventura, Hank (Me Myself & Irene) - with a new devious twist that suits Robotnik perfectly. Jim Carrey fans will love it. The studio took quite a risk in my opinion since it's far from a fan pleaser with constant easter eggs - there are a few of course - familiar environments, characters, props etc.

I personally would've liked a bit more of exploring the different worlds of Sonic, especially since the trailer showed off his home - Green Hill - and you'd think they'd spend quite some time there. Unfortunately it's only for a brief few minutes until it all takes place on earth. They made up for that a bit with the ending, which I won't spoil.

At the same time, they also went quite safe with the story, which makes the movie quite easy to critique. It suffers from all Hollywood family, children friendly movies where something foreign, alien like a game character, a talking animal or whatever tries to make friends and become human / part of a family. That's been done so cannot think but feel like they didn't use the full potential of Sonic and Robotnik with how safe they played it. However, they did take a chance on Jim Carrey still able to perform and probably relied on the CGI to deliver on people relating to Sonic.

Both of those worked perfectly as Sonic looks gorgeous, really top notch CGI which makes the emotional / human connection between Sonic and James Mardsen work quite well. Jim Carrey also delivered, there's a lot of throwback mannerisms and some lines that make the fans and anyone who likes comedy laugh out loud. All in all, it doesn't feel at all like a video-game movie with a witty main character in Sonic, cute enough plot to keep you engaged, a lot of humour and nostalgia to please a variety of people and ticks off a lot of boxes. Stay until the end as there are two scenes after it's basically over, especially for Sonic fans. Then you'll also be more forgiving of the safe plot and lack of nostalgia, which makes you leave with a smile.

Yes I am probably biased as Jim Carrey is my favourite comedian actor of all time and my first console was the Sega Mega Drive and played Sonic like crazy, but ultimately feel you don't need those two things to make this movie enjoyable, though maybe you wouldn't give it an 8 ;)

B-Bob and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Downhill- 3/10

Not what I expected at all. I should have done a little research. With the cast I expected a comedy, it was far from it.

I just didn’t dig it.

3. noize

noize Contributing Member

1.Midsommar (Prime). 7/10. A decent horror movie with a beautiful scenery throughout.

2. LOVE (Netflix). 5/10. This is as close to p*rn as you going to get on Netflix with a TON of unsimulated sex. The only redeeming quality of the movie is that it got me and the wife very aroused and we hit it off right there. Didn't bother to finish it since the story was ****.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The Joker 5/10. I fell asleep the first 2o minutes.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

the lodge. 6.5/10 fell asleep at the end

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I didn't think Midsommar was a very good horror movie. But it explained cults to me very, very well, which in turn scared the crap out of me.

peleincubus and B-Bob like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Midsommar like Hereditary before it fit a very specific type of disturbing Jacob's Ladder type horror -- mentally disturbing.

Blatz, B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I can't say I enjoyed Midsommar or ever care to see it again, but I can see how others would feel differently. Like I said it wasn't bad, just... very different. And for a guy that's more into monsters and slasher flicks, just not my thing.

Disturbing sounds about right. I won't forget the suicide scene anytime soon!

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

ditto

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam, never expected an essay for sonic. thought this was a @Caesar review from the length.

JW86 and Caesar like this.
  11. conquistador#11

Damn, homes. I think the world is finally ready for a Super Mario World movie reboot!

JW86 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

The Ritual.

Watch it.

Blatz likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I need to give it a second shot -- I really didn't enjoy the first time for whatever reason.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Parasite: 8.5/10 I liked this movie a lot. The simple quirkiness to it, to the darker side toward the end...Predictable at times, but I liked the little triggers it had and subtleties from the characters...I would watch it again to see some of the things I probably missed.

don grahamleone and hieuytran like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I can't remember the last movie I left early...The Gentlemen is that movie.

And I love Guy Ritchie: Lock Stock, Snatch and whatnot...but this movie is just horrible.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What part of the movie did you walk on? I struggled with it for a while, but glad I stayed. I felt like it paid off.

17. Buck Turgidson

Halfway? I'm trying to remember the one clever line, and I can't think of it.

It's a movie I would much rather watch at home.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watched High Flying Bird on Netflix, didn't know anything about it, my wife picked it out. She had a hard time staying with it, I thought it was pretty good. shot on an iPhone! probably the most impressive thing about it. 7/10

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

p16929579_v_v8_ac.jpg p16945954_v_v8_ac.jpg

I just watched both these movies from Redbox.
    I give them both 95%

I wasn't expecting A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood to be so good after watching the Mr. Rogers documentary. Tom Hanks did a fantastic job playing the part. It was nothing like the documentary, but just as good.

JoJo Rabbit is simply a great movie. I didn't expect it to be so funny. I loved the twisted humor. Great acting, as well as such a well written script. It's always great to see a movie that separates itself from the typical storylines and plots in the movie business.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Watched Dark Waters. 8/10

On par with Spotlight and other great adaptation from great documentary work. Everyone should see it.

davidio840 likes this.