1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Asian Sensation

Bad Santa. For like the 100th time.

Still a 10. Never gets old to me.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I keep seeing that pop up on Netflix and was mildly curious about it......sounds like it's actually worth a watch....

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

RE: SICARIO

Let me just say I 100% love this movie. So tense... all the tension well earned. It's rediculously well acted. But I need help here... can I get a consensus on what happens in the interrogation scene? All of this is in the early part of the movie, but I don't want to ruin it... click on the spoiler tag if you've seen the film.

Benicio's character walks in with a full 5-gallon jug of water. We're all assuming waterboarding here. Then after Benicio gets uncomfortably close to the guy, the camera pans down to the drain (which remains completely dry) and then we're on to the next scene.

I'm assuming that because we don't ever see any water go down that drain, that it isn't a waterboarding. The camera deliberately wants you to see a dry drain, IMO. But what did happen? And if you weren't going to waterboard him, why bring all that water into the room? I've seen internet discussions about how Benicio's character rapes the suspect... but... really? I mean I get the explanation, but raping him doesn't totally make sense to me.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, Ive gone back and forth on this so many times. Ive concluded that its sodomy.

Camera goes off, guys walk out. Benicio sticks his junk right in guys face to show masculinity and keeps it there throughout the interrogation. Ive also read a lot of accounts on reddit, saying that in Mexico, there is no better way to emasculate another male Mexican than to stick your junk in their face. For any culture in that matter but its their whole machismo thing they have over there.

The camera then pans out and you hear him say "No..., no, no..." (IIRC) and then you hear some kind of thrusting sounds (the Ol' in-and-out) and the water is simply just to wash the floor of "debris" IMO. Also in prison culture, which it kind of was; its okay to rape but youre a biotch if you get raped.

Also they are coming out with a sequel centered around Benicios character and leaves Blunt out, which Im okay with that but shes pretty hawt.

#6584 donkeypunch, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    eric.81 likes this.
  5. eric.81

RE: SICARIO

I've read the reddit stuff on this too and I guess I can't really argue... more than anything, what else besides sodomy could be going on in there? This definitely adds a layer of darkness to an already bleak movie. Thanks for sharing your interpretation.

Wow... the scene where they cross the border back into the US with that guy is my favorite of many amazing scenes. The tension is so palpable. Oh and Roger Deakins' cinematography is, as always, the best.

I am sort of lukewarm on The Arrival... the trailers just aren't grabbing me. But at this point, I am just going to see whatever Denis Villeneuve does without questioning it.

donkeypunch likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You are correct with never questioning Villenueva.

Deakins' cinematography was great but paired with Johann's soundtrack made the damn movie that much better. Of course Benicio being a badass doesnt hurt either. The movie shouldve won so many awards than it did.

eric.81 likes this.
  7. eric.81

Agreed. Amazing score.

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everything I've read about The Arrival paints it as an all around great movie. If I am able to get to a theater, I will be checking it out soon.

eric.81 likes this.
  9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

accountant was great. not sure why the bad reviews... 49% on rottentomatoes

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - 6/10 (being generous)

The best parts are in the trailer. In retrospect, the book's plot did not translate that well into a 90 minute action movie. The movie had to remake the plot to fit. The movie plot turned out to be too paint-by-numbers. This could be the last Reacher movie (at least with Cruise).

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'd give it a 4/10. Tom Cruise's age is starting to show in most scenes. I think he should start doing drama movies now.

12. hvic

hvic Member

Secret Lives of Pets- 5/10. It is a cute movie and if you have a pet you will probably try to compare them to the characters in the movie.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

+1 to all of the positives to SICARIO. The musical score, direction, cinematography, acting. All there. Tense and dark. Can't wait for the sequel.

eric.81 likes this.
  14. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Watched a documentary called Tales of the Grim Sleeper on HBO. Pretty decent watch, very creepy story i'd give it a 7 out of 10.

15. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

watched ghost rider 2 for the third time. still love it and will never understand how it got such horrible reviews. i do love me some nic cage though

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. jae713

jae713 Member

Independence Day Resurgence 5/10

It was pretty bad but at least it was entertaining. They had so much material to pull from and interesting ways they could have gone, but overall it just seem like they tried to squeeze too many story lines in to the movie and made it seemed rushed overall. I didn't care about any of the characters and some of the dialogue was just corny.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Nerve: 6/10

Surprisingly carried itself toward the end, even if that ending could not wrap itself up tightly, logically, or neatly. There was however a sharpness and edge to the visual cinematography that resonated on screen somehow. Reminded me of Eagle Eye in it's premise, but done much better and more believable up until the conclusion. Franco may not be acting, or capable of acting, who knows yet, but he's got a powerful on screen charisma and cool that resonates and carries you along. If they had spent a little more time on a logical ending, maybe added some character complexity to the 2 guys and to the close, this could have been a solid 8. As for the theme, they do a good job shoving that in your face right out of the gate, which I think more movies should do, but I don't think they ever give you time to think about it on any level. Worth at least WATCHING.

#6597 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hacksaw Ridge: 9/10
    The Good: Cinematography was excellent; Garfield is a great actor, Vince Vaughn in a serious role
    The Bad: Why didn't the Japanese just cut the ladder down?; ending seemed rushed

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

I love you Man... 10/10. Paul Rudd's best movie in my opinion. "I'll see you when I see you" "Later Jobin"... Classic.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

X-men Apocalypse

2/10

Right up there with the worst superhero movies ever made. Comically bad, I laughed at its terribleness more and more as the thing went on. Such a sad, pathetic waste of Fassbender as Magneto.