1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Steve Jobs

10/10. I've never watched a movie twice in a row because I loved it so much and needed to pick up even more of the details. The script, direction, camera work, and acting are all absolutely top notch and award-worthy, IMHO. Maybe Sorkin's best writing of his career, and in tracing Jobs, the topic is as central to our modern world as you can get.

Non-spoiler really: instead of a normal bio-pic, Sorkin opted to tell a story in three acts. So he has fictionalized the dialogue and last minutes before 3 key product releases in Job's career. But the scenes are absolutely informed by all the real facts and relationships of the dude's life.

Can't recommend this movie more strongly, and watching all the "making of" bits, if you have access to them, are wonderful too. They made a lot of smart choices in how to make each of the acts and reflect their time periods and the meaning of the milestones, even using different film, totally different soundtrack, editing, etc.

LA Times nailed it, but audiences didn't get it, apparently.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-steve-jobs-review-20151009-column.html

#6421 B-Bob, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. 1 of 10. Awful, awful movie. OK, I saw it on an airplane and the audio was horrible. But with all the hype about Ben Afleck finally getting to play Batman? And somehow Wonderwoman appears. There were parts of the movie I picked up the in-flight magazine. Also took a bio break during the movie. Those were the highlights.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

10 Cloverfield Lane

9/10

What the hell! That was excellent! Why didn't anyone tell me that?

4. Buck Turgidson

Nobody told me **** either. I knew absolutely nothing about it other than John Goodman was in a sci-fi movie by JJ Abrams and/or that other guy who I like, and I was most pleasantly surprised. Awesome flick, hopefully they don't screw up the sequel.

5. hvic

hvic Member

BFG: 5/10. Very very boring movie. I guess from the previews I was expecting more

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It was a really good movie and the end just made like what the hell?!?! Really entertaining.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Room

7.5 / 10

Dragged just a little bit and probably too long, but really good.

Streaming free on Amazon Prime

While the credits were rolling and I was all sad a friend randomly texted me a link to Scott Stapp's unbelievable Marlins Will Soar song and it cheared me right up.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody Wants Some - 8/10. No real aim of the story but it's retraining and funny.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Everest
    Worth it to watch for the spectacular shots alone, even if it's not Imax. Solid performances though the story is fairly simple and doesn't attempt to really dig deeper into the character's backstories. And for whatever reason the emotional impact it was trying to reach felt flat to me. I think if I had known the story beforehand that would have helped when watching it, so I may need to give it a second go. Ironic because I didn't know the true story behind North Face, and thoroughly enjoyed that. Either way I'm just glad we've had some decent climbing movies and documentaries recently, and ones that don't rely on gimicky plot devices.

6/10

Pee Wees Big Holiday
    True to Pee Wee; lighthearted, whimsical, some good chuckles here and there. Fun movie.

6/10

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Grand Budapest Hotel

7/10

11. AXG

AXG Member

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - 5.5/10

It had some funny moments, but was otherwise very predictable for these types of "comedies."

12. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Conjuring 2 - 8/10

Loved the movie. Thought the first one was better because of the pace but this was a great movie. Wish they had more scary movies that had a good plot to it instead of cheap pop ups that you can almost guess are coming.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Watched "Eat That Question" today. 8/10

As a lifelong Zappa fan this was a well done retrospective of FZ's career primarily in his own words. You don't have to be a Zappa fan to enjoy the flick because his world view will surprise many who do not know much about the man other than yellow snow.

He would be having a field day in today's political climate.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wQ3b_PU5W4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    He is sorely missed.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

ghost busters 6.5/10

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dont get the hype for 10 cloverfield land. Id give it a 6.5/10 at best.

Lethal Weapon 4- 8/10
    Love this movie. Funny, over the top and entertaining. Chris Rock and Pesci just make it that much better. Also holds a special place in my heart as being the first movie ever watched on DVD when DVDs first rolled out. It was so cool to be able to rewind so easily to the parts you wanted to see again.

16. Buck Turgidson

Didn't expect it to be Dazed and Confused or anything, so my expectations were low-ish. It was funny, and anyone who's been around a bunch of alpha-males could relate, but I gotta say it just OK. 7/12

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

same here on QatarAirline. the good part it helped me to sleep a bit

18. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Better Life - 8/10

A real diamond in the rough available on Amazon Prime. I doubt this movie is very high on Trump's must see list.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Repped!! Felt the same way B-Bob. This was my favorite movie of 2015...

20. Bruce

Bruce Member

Ghostbusters 6/10

Thoroughly enjoyed this though some of the dialog felt forced. IMO better than Ghostbusters 2

The Hunt For the Wilderpeople 8.5/10 Taika Waititi has great comedic chops as a director and Sam Neil and Julian Dennison are infinitely charming even if their relationship is a bit too idealic.