1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raptors hire Masai Ujiri

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 31, 2013.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Uh..yeah..ok.

Womp womp womp Masai tribe, Masai Ujiri!

[​IMG]

2. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Weird that there is so much hate for this guy. Dude is a proven commodity. I expect that he'll improve the Raptors. How much is the better question.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Morey could easily be said to be on the precipice of winning one. Read what I wrote.

I don't view Denver as close to winning one. I would say they peaked this year. What makes you think he will do better in Toronto than Denver? Toronto will not be able to spend as much.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The issue isn't the situation Ujiri is stepping into, it's whether Toronto made a good hiring decision. All evidence points to "yes".

Toronto is a backwater NBA team with a steep hill to climb. Nobody is debating that. It might be a graveyard for GMs.

5. tallanvor

'All evidence'.... good grief. You don't have evidence until he has been Toronto's GM for a few years.

So if Ujiri couldn't get a championship with Denver which spends more money and is more attractive of a city than Toronto, then why would Toronto think he will win a championship with them? Toronto should of rolled the dice on an unknown like Phili did.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The "evidence" was his short tenure in Denver. What else could I have possibly meant?

I give up. You are an interesting person.

7. tallanvor

He didn't win a championship and i seriously doubt Denver will in the next few years. So what evidence from his Denver days points to him winning a championship with a team that spends less money and is less attractive to players?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He took Denver from a very difficult situation (trading a star playing who was forcing his way out) to the best regular season record in team history. They are going the right direction.

Besides, like the Bucks and Bobcats, the Raptors probably won't be winning any championships soon but they have to get better before that's even in the discussion.

I don't know what you have against Ujiri.

9. tallanvor

I have told you exactly why I think paying big bucks to Ujiri was a bad decision.

He didn't win a championship in Denver, nor will they any time soon. SO why would he win a championship in Toronto which is a far more difficult environment? You keep avoiding my question. What makes you Ujiri will win a championship with Toronto as opposed to Denver?

People want to praise a regular season record. The goal of every organization is not to have a great regular season record.

10. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Denver is closer as it stands

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is like talking to a child (perhaps you are).

(1) I already admitted Toronto is a more difficult environment than Denver. (2) I did NOT say Ujiri would win a championship in Toronto (actually implied the opposite). Can you even read?

Ujiri made the best of Denver's situation and they had their best regular season, ever. That is progress from when he took over. The Raptors hired a young GM with a solid record. He's about the best they could hope for. Problem is, the Raptors may be an impossible situation.

If you want to dis Ujiri after the Nuggets had their best regular season in history, go right ahead. I don't hold him personally responsible for their playoff failure against the Warriors. You are free to do so. I blame George Karl and the players. Something was off.

Speaking of avoiding questions, you ignored my earlier one for you:

1 person likes this.
  12. Shaud

Shaud Member

And he could easily not be. Let's not act like Houston is so ahead of Denver in terms of the future.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey could have easily done what Ujiri did in Denver, max out his cap and roster potential with an above average team that's not good enough to win a title.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think anyone in Toronto expects their team to even contend for the championship in the near future.

They'd be throwing parades if they made it into the second round. so if Masai can get Toronto to Denver level of playing, he's a hero and a saviour of the franchise

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He got rid of nene's horrific contract and he's coming to get rid of another one.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I was wondering why this thread was still going...

17. tallanvor

Yes yes. Throw out insults. Teach me your mature ways.

Well then wtf is the point of paying Ujiri big bucks if you don't think he will get Toronto a title? Why not roll the dice on a cheaper unknown commodity like I said....

You act as if Toronto's goal is to create a good team and not a championship team.

How do you know he made the best of their situation?

He failed to win a championship or put them in position to win one. You seemed to be impressed by just getting to the 4th best record in a regular season. If that is Toronto's goal then they may have spent tons of money on the right guy.

Why not? Teams in similar markets have accomplished titles. IT wasn't by paying out the ass for people who didn't get titles in bigger markets.

#57 tallanvor, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Because the franchise had a relationship with Ujiri as opposed to a cheaper unknown commodity and the franchise weren't looking to go cheaper! Are you the team Comptroller or CFO?

That is their goal. One walks before running. Denver and Houston have the goal of winning a championship now that both their GM's (or in Ujiri's case, past gm) put them in the best possible situation to win. Toronto are merely trying to get back to the playoffs.

Tell us wise GM in training, what else he could have done to make the best of their situation. Get more players for Melo?
    We know he had some mis-steps(Some could point to Wilson Chandler/Javale contracts but what GM hasn't had missteps or didn't have any in their first few seasons on the job?)

How did he fail to put them in position to win one? By not acquiring a star player a la Harden? If you don't think Morey was fortuitous in landing Harden and that was just all Morey doing what "Morey do" then you're cray. Star players don't just fall from trees.
    Again, I'm pretty sure Toronto would pay even more than they're currently going to pay Ujiri, JUST to get the 4th best record in the regular season and get back to the playoffs. So yeah, I think they spent tons of money on the right guy for THEIR/THAT job.

How many teams?

Jeez
    Goodness gracious, is it your f**k!ng money??
    You keep bringing up how much they spent but it seems the money spent wasn't a concern to the Raptors ownership as long as they got someone else in to fix Colangelo's mess and they preferred it be someone that the franchise already had a relationship with, as opposed to some unknown. Sheesh!

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wrong. Just shut up.

Also, 3m a year for a GM is big bucks? I'd give Morey 10m a year at least. If it doesn't count against the cap, who cares.